Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Has this ever happened to any of you?

preacherman76

So last night I had an experience that was pretty scary. Its happened to me a few times over the years. It only happens to me when the room is like pitch black. When you cant see anything. That was the case last night. I put the AC in our room yesterday cause the night before it was too hot to sleep. Now normally I keep our bedroom door open, and a small amount of light comes through from the kitchen. In order to keep the room cool though, obviously I have to shut the bedroom door. 

So I wake up last night at like midnight to a pitch black room. I cant see anything. Somehow its like im awake and asleep at the same time. I get up out of bed, but I have no idea where Im at.  This claustrophobic fear overwhelms me to the point that I go into full panic mode. Frantic I begin looking for a way out of this black box Ive found myself in. Im knocking pictures off the wall, tripping over end tables ect. The whole time not even considering that im in the safety of my own bedroom. My wife wakes up to me rampaging the room and asks what the hell im doing. Somehow that doesn't even shake me out of it. I begin to try to explain to her that im trapped. Like her voice wasn't someone actually in the room with me, but just a voice in my head. She cant seem to say anything to calm me down. Her insistence that im ok only frustrates me more. I say out loud to her cant you see whats happening to me? Don't tell me to calm down.

This went on for probably 2 minutes, though it seemed like forever. All the fear an anxiety go away the instant I found and opened the door. The blast of hot air hitting my face that was on the other side of the door rushed back the memory  of why I closed it to begin with, and why my room was pitch black. I had to laugh at myself. Its funny now, but it damn sure wasn't while it was happening lol

• Like 1

Thinking about it this morning im pretty disappointed in myself. Ive been spending the last couple years meditating. Preparing to stay calm in case I run into anything scary during a astral projection. That didn't prepare me at all for this. Im gonna have to spend some time trying to over come my claustrophobia.

• Like 1

Take a torch to bed tonight ! ;)

• Like 2

maybe a "flashlight" to you ! You don't think there is a touch of the sleep-walker about this incident ?

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

maybe a "flashlight" to you ! You don't think there is a touch of the sleep-walker about this incident ?

For me, its rare, but yes I definitely do. My wife actually just reminded me that I tried to get out the window. The same one I put the AC in. Somehow she talked me out of it. Things still didn't begin to come clear till I got that bedroom door open.

Edited by preacherman76

Yeah, that can be dangerous. I don't know what can be done about it.

• Like 1

This didn't happen to me, my daughter used to have issues with waking up and being disoriented then have an anxiety attack. We used to leave the TV on for light and sounds that helped when she was little. When she got into her teen years we found a different solution by accident.

At a CVS pharmacy, late January a few years ago, we were looking at a clearance isle while waiting for prescriptions (For flu symptoms) and they had boxes and boxes of Christmas lights for 25-30 cents each. We bought most of them, she decorated her room with a few strands and left them on all the time. She seldom used lamps or the main lights unless she was reading a book. Fell asleep a few times without the TV on and had no issues. She used the purple colored strands and they are very soft light. Not sure if this is something that will help anyone else...

• Like 1

That's a great idea Dee. This has happened to me just a small handful of times over the last 20 years or so. My cousin still laughs at me over it. 

I was visiting my Dads side of the family.  My cousin had died, so I came down for the funeral. My Dad had a small single wide trailer that he rented out. Well it happened to be vacant at the time, so a few of us from out of town slept there. My room was really small. So anyhow I fell asleep, and had a dream that I was at work, and a few of us were building this big box. I worked for 84 lumber at the time, an we were always building something. So in the dream as a joke my co workers dropped this box over top of me. I started freaking out screaming for them to let me out of it. I was terrified. I remember feeling around between the floor and the wall, looking for a place I could lift the box off me. 

Next thing I knew, I hear my cousin who was in the next room over yell out, "I'm coming Jay". He comes running to my door. When he opened it and turned in the light, I was in the corner of the room trying to separate the wall from the floor. Just like in my dream. 

My step brother was in the shower while all this was happening. They both said it sounded like I was being attacked. Do when I told them what had actually happened, we were laughing hysterically. 

I still hear about that to this day

4 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

So last night I had an experience that was pretty scary. Its happened to me a few times over the years. It only happens to me when the room is like pitch black. When you cant see anything. That was the case last night. I put the AC in our room yesterday cause the night before it was too hot to sleep. Now normally I keep our bedroom door open, and a small amount of light comes through from the kitchen. In order to keep the room cool though, obviously I have to shut the bedroom door. 

So I wake up last night at like midnight to a pitch black room. I cant see anything. Somehow its like im awake and asleep at the same time. I get up out of bed, but I have no idea where Im at.  This claustrophobic fear overwhelms me to the point that I go into full panic mode. Frantic I begin looking for a way out of this black box Ive found myself in. Im knocking pictures off the wall, tripping over end tables ect. The whole time not even considering that im in the safety of my own bedroom. My wife wakes up to me rampaging the room and asks what the hell im doing. Somehow that doesn't even shake me out of it. I begin to try to explain to her that im trapped. Like her voice wasn't someone actually in the room with me, but just a voice in my head. She cant seem to say anything to calm me down. Her insistence that im ok only frustrates me more. I say out loud to her cant you see whats happening to me? Don't tell me to calm down.

This went on for probably 2 minutes, though it seemed like forever. All the fear an anxiety go away the instant I found and opened the door. The blast of hot air hitting my face that was on the other side of the door rushed back the memory  of why I closed it to begin with, and why my room was pitch black. I had to laugh at myself. Its funny now, but it damn sure wasn't while it was happening lol

I always liked to sleep in total darkness and silence as much as possible. I've been married twice and both of them couldn't handle it, just like you reacted. Lighted clocks, flashlight next to bed, a window shades cracked to let in moonlight, TV muted.

You don't need much light to overcome it. Both handled it by sleeping with a TV on which kept me up. Muted TV which I turn off after my spouse goes to sleep, the digital clock does the trick if waking disoriented by darkness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

I always liked to sleep in total darkness and silence as much as possible. I've been married twice and both of them couldn't handle it, just like you reacted. Lighted clocks, flashlight next to bed, a window shades cracked to let in moonlight, TV muted.

You don't need much light to overcome it. Both handled it by sleeping with a TV on which kept me up. Muted TV which I turn off after my spouse goes to sleep, the digital clock does the trick if waking disoriented by darkness.

Totally agree. This hasn't been an on going problem. Like I said, just a small handful of times in 20 years. If there is any light at all, if I can recognize anything im fine. Ive even been fine when it was completely dark like last night. For whatever reason though on a rare occasion I get taken completely off guard by it, an my imagination runs wild.  

20 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Totally agree. This hasn't been an on going problem. Like I said, just a small handful of times in 20 years. If there is any light at all, if I can recognize anything im fine. Ive even been fine when it was completely dark like last night. For whatever reason though on a rare occasion I get taken completely off guard by it, an my imagination runs wild.  

Maybe it happens when you go to sleep without thinking about   current surroundings and waking in darkness.

On a rare occasion about 35 years ago, I woke up with anxiety of not knowing where I was. I still remember that feeling of total fear to this day! It happened on vacation in an RV. It was new moon in darkness and no hookups or electrical service, in the middle of a huge undeveloped state forest of trails and a few pull offs. There was enough light in RV  from a  battery clock, but when I looked out of door window after a night bathroom trip, I panicked. I didn't remember what state or country we stopped since I wasn't the last driver. I went out into total darkness, no stars and no light, I had this feeling I entered the twilight zone!

I woke up my spouse by yelling where the h"$# are we and get the discomforting answer, I don't know! I went out  with flash light and could only see dirt and trees no campsites or even night critters. Since I was wide awake I looked at  my daily travel log to find out for sure what area we were in. It was creepy outside even with flash light, the feeling of fear of being attacked by something unknown.

I was very disoriented and afraid of something unknown until dawn came and then I was able  to lose the anxiety and take  a nap.

It was very weird for me since I concluded I had an anxiety attack from not knowing where I was at in darkness.

Edited by White Unicorn

Wow, thanks for sharing that WU. That must have been a pretty scary experience. 

I get sleep paralysis every time I camp out in a tent now. I've only gotten SP a few times in my life. But for some reason every time im in that tent it happens. 

• Like 1

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 9:14 AM, White Unicorn said:

Silence + dark for me as well. A TV or radio going just keeps me awake because I'm focusing on the voices/music. I use earplugs and keep a fan running, got into the habit when I had to sleep days because I worked a graveyard shift

• Like 1

On 5/30/2016 at 1:05 PM, preacherman76 said:

One night when I was staying over at a friends I awoke to a pitch black room.  I frantically tried to find the door because I needed to visit the loo.  Now in my head I thought I was back at home in my bedroom.  So the door (I searched for)  was now a wall etc.  I then came around and realised that I must have been sleepwalking.  Everything came back to me and after realising where I was, I dashed to the bathroom :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mark One said:

One night when I was staying over at a friends I awoke to a pitch black room.  I frantically tried to find the door because I needed to visit the loo.  Now in my head I thought I was back at home in my bedroom.  So the door (I searched for)  was now a wall etc.  I then came around and realised that I must have been sleepwalking.  Everything came back to me and after realising where I was, I dashed to the bathroom :)

Oh man, I probably would have freaked out lol. Once I realized the door wasn't where it should be I would have went into full on panic attack mode lol. 

Im looking at this like its a good thing in one way. It's a weakness that I can now focus on. Though it will be hard mountain to climb.

its funny, I believe I'm totally prepared to confront any type of entity, shadow folks, old hags, aliens, ect that might appear during a projection. But can't handle something as simple as the dark lol

• Like 2

Sounds like you need a night light! Well i sleepwalk on occassion as well ive been known to make transactions with people who were not aware i was sleeping and wake up richer lol what scares me is that i tend to know my way out the door. Perhaps you are a bit safer trapped inside.

The tent thing is interesting. Perhaps the sleep paralysis is connected. Once i had this type of panic set off because i found myself wandering my dads house at night seeing him asleep and the tv on while 500 miles away. Its alot easier said than done but maybe if you can learn to astral travel from your tent.

• Like 1

Yea I think the sleep paralysis is connected. Tell ya the truth it's kinda strange. I only had one bad SP in my home. I just happened to have my first out of body experience at the same time. Long story short I basically banished a shadow creature. The black cloud type. Since then I haven't had a scary SP at home at all. I think my home is protected some how,But once I'm off my property seems like all bets are off. As crazy as that sounds. 

• Like 1

I've had things like this happen when I was younger. One case I was walking around on my bed frantically knocking into the walls because I thought spiders were crawling over the bed.

I've also had the toilet one like Mark One, only some reason I went to my parents room searching for the toilet.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

A few months back I woke up one morning to the sound of thumping noises on my bedroom door.  Puzzled, I began to sit up in bed wondering WTF was occurring.  As I perched my self up on one elbow I suddenly realised that I was also still asleep.  From the corner of my eyes I could see my self, eyes closed, my head resting on the pillow!  What followed was the common - jumping out of my skin routine - heart pumping, eyes open, I had been asleep and also projecting at the same time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark One said:

A few months back I woke up one morning to the sound of thumping noises on my bedroom door.  Puzzled, I began to sit up in bed wondering WTF was occurring.  As I perched my self up on one elbow I suddenly realised that I was also still asleep.  From the corner of my eyes I could see my self, eyes closed, my head resting on the pillow!  What followed was the common - jumping out of my skin routine - heart pumping, eyes open, I had been asleep and also projecting at the same time.

That's awesome Mark. Can I use this for my book?

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

That's awesome Mark. Can I use this for my book?

Yes preacherman, you can.

• Like 1

Sounds like you might have a couple stories worth telling.