Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hitler's WWII Coding Machine Found on eBay

Anomalocaris

One of the machines used to send coded messages between Adolf Hitler and his generals sold for £10 on eBay after being discovered in a shed in England, the buyer said Sunday.

See more

• Like 1

I don't think I would let it go for $14 usd. It's surely worth way more then that even without the motor,

• Like 1

Maybe the person that put it in the shed used it to send hate mail to Hitler in the afterlife? :huh:

• Like 1

To investigate further, Wetter travelled to the southeastern town of Southend where he found the machine, which resembles a typewriter, on the floor of a shed, covered "with rubbish".

"We said 'Thank you very much, how much was it again?' She said '£9.50', so we said 'Here's a £10 note -- keep the change," he added.

"Everybody knows about Enigma, but the Lorenz machine was used for strategic communications," said Clark.

"It is so much more complicated than the Enigma machine."

http://www.seeker.com/hitlers-wwii-coding-machine-found-on-ebay-1829403005.html

I take it he had no intentions of telling her what she had.....surely if she knew, it would have gone to Christie's.....just like the Enigma machine did.  :

http://www.seeker.com/apple-1-computer-rare-enigma-machine-up-for-auction-1770355313.html

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

I bet the former owner is kicking herself in the backside for not doing any research on it.

Edited by Hawkin
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hawkin said:

I bet the former owner is kicking herself in the backside for not doing any research on it.

"We said 'Thank you very much, how much was it again?' She said '£9.50', so we said 'Here's a £10 note -- keep the change," he added.

http://www.seeker.com/hitlers-wwii-coding-machine-found-on-ebay-1829403005.html

:P cheeky :P

But yep, she should have done some research first... she could have even phoned this lot first:  Researchers at The National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park , before he came to  her with a tenna in his pocket. :lol:

would be interesting to know if the researchers now try to find out how it ended up in England and who took it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

would be interesting to know if the researchers now try to find out how it ended up in England and who took it.

Perhaps a British Soldier that was in Berlin at the end of the war nabbed it for a keepsake.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hawkin said:

Perhaps a British Soldier that was in Berlin at the end of the war nabbed it for a keepsake.

Most likely.

Or when Hitler visited Liverpool (allegedly) he could have brought it with him and  someone could have nabbed it.....maybe we will see some tyres which belonged to Hitler soon on ebay.