Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Incessant single flute note out of nowhere!

ganixle

Recently saw a crypto show on TV where two folks that saw and had a pretty harrowing encounter with a bipedal canine/wolf reported hearing what sounded like a single note from a flute being played over and over again right before their rather strange encounter.  Back in 1986 while stationed at Plattsburg Air Force Base in upstate New York I went trout fishing in the dead of winter with another airman in the Adirondacks.  There was over a foot of snow on the ground and drifting live red worms through the deep holes and runs was producing some really nice trout but something was amiss.  The whole day the sound of a single note from a flute kept coming from the dark hardwood forest and seemed to follow us everywhere we went.  Finally the other guy said he felt something was watching us.  I asked him to describe where he thought it was without pointing or looking directly at it.  It seemed to be in a thick stand of trees on a ridgeline just over the creek from where we were fishing.  I felt the same, like something was watching us and from that exact location.  I carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum everywhere I went up there for bears and crazy people in the woods.  I had this overwhelming sense of fear but instead of running away I pulled the pistol and ran towards the stand of trees while ripping off three shots into the stand knocking off a lot of snow as one of the bullets struck a branch.  I stopped about halfway up the hill and watched the stand to see if anything moved but saw nothing.  I did not continue up the hill to look for sign or tracks, almost like a wall stopping me from going any further.  The feeling that we were being watched was gone and we continued fishing and working our way back to the car. 

I never gave it much thought again until recently while hiking here in the Florida Panhandle I heard that same incessant monotonous note coming from a thick swamp where I had been hiking.  That uncomfortable feeling of being watched accompanied the sound.  I had been setting out some snares for coyotes as they were becoming a little too bold for my taste and had taken a cat out of my front yard.  I snared one but something had torn it to shreds, flinging entrails all over the place and tearing it in half.  I had never seen that before.  My daughters had also mentioned some strange happenings from when they were walking in a park at night close to where I depart the beaten path and head into the brush.  The barking of a dog almost like it is being beaten or tortured, a loud sound that comes up to the edge of the woods and seems to pervade the whole area normally accompanied by the flute sound in between the tortured wailings of the dog.

After seeing this thing on TV the other night I have become quite curious as to what is going on and would ask anyone on the forum if they know what this is all about, I am all ears.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Interesting story! I am not the one with the answers, some really good people here that know a lot about the odd things here though. Hope you find your answers and WELCOME to the forum!

It was aliens trying to be the piper. Could have been the wind blowing through the tree's the right way, someone messing with you. A ringing in your ear due to air pressure. Paranoia coupled with a dash of imagination.

3 hours ago, ganixle said:

I carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum everywhere I went up there for bears and crazy people in the woods.  I had this overwhelming sense of fear but instead of running away I pulled the pistol and ran towards the stand of trees while ripping off three shots into the stand knocking off a lot of snow as one of the bullets struck a branch.

I had been setting out some snares for coyotes as they were becoming a little too bold for my taste and had taken a cat out of my front yard.  I snared one but something had torn it to shreds, flinging entrails all over the place and tearing it in half.  I had never seen that before. .

The sound you heard could be a bird, but without hearing the actual sound, it is not possible to tell what it was.

Hiya ganixle, 

just wanted to ask, is this the norm to shoot at something you can not see and as yet, has not threatened you? you could have killed an innocent animal.

Finding entrails of an animal which has been attacked by another animal is pretty common, even here in England,, we see it on the roads and our animals are not as savage as coyotes, but even a coyote will be eaten by a wolf.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Hiya ganixle, 

just wanted to ask, is this the norm to shoot at something you can not see and as yet, has not threatened you? you could have killed an innocent animal.

Finding entrails of an animal which has been attacked by another animal is pretty common, even here in England,, we see it on the roads and our animals are not as savage as coyotes, but even a coyote will be eaten by a wolf.

Or possibly an innocent person.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Or possibly an innocent person.

Yep, an innocent person who has gone for a bit of peace and quiet to practice playing their new flute. :unsure:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Or an innocent bigfoot. Those things are almost extinct.

Almost.:D

• Like 1

They're like the lizard man, ever so often they pop outta nowhere. Playing their one note flutes. Freaking people out. 

I wonder how long the sound lasts? I mean does it last for minutes or mere seconds? There are birds that can make a single sound over and over.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ganixle said:

The whole day the sound of a single note from a flute kept coming from the dark hardwood forest and seemed to follow us everywhere we went.

How far were you going? Maybe the animal making this sound lived in the woods. There is a cuckoo in our woods, you can hear it................anywhere you go in the woods, its not following us, its just  how the sound travels. 

Or there was more than one communicating with each other.

• Like 1

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Wood_Thrush/sounds

in the above link, the "odd song" sound could be what the op was hearing, but hearing the high pitch part....depending on where the bird  / birds are. 

OP please read this link, there are, although on the decline, wood thrush in that forest:

flute-like song of the wood thrush.

significant wood thrush population declines have been recorded in the Adirondacks

http://northernwoodlands.org/outside_story/article/the-disappearing-wood-thrush

It's just Kickaha opening a gate to the World of Tiers.

19 hours ago, ganixle said:

Recently saw a crypto show on TV where two folks that saw and had a pretty harrowing encounter with a bipedal canine/wolf reported hearing what sounded like a single note from a flute being played over and over again right before their rather strange encounter.  Back in 1986 while stationed at Plattsburg Air Force Base in upstate New York I went trout fishing in the dead of winter with another airman in the Adirondacks.  There was over a foot of snow on the ground and drifting live red worms through the deep holes and runs was producing some really nice trout but something was amiss.  The whole day the sound of a single note from a flute kept coming from the dark hardwood forest and seemed to follow us everywhere we went.  Finally the other guy said he felt something was watching us.  I asked him to describe where he thought it was without pointing or looking directly at it.  It seemed to be in a thick stand of trees on a ridgeline just over the creek from where we were fishing.  I felt the same, like something was watching us and from that exact location.  I carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum everywhere I went up there for bears and crazy people in the woods.  I had this overwhelming sense of fear but instead of running away I pulled the pistol and ran towards the stand of trees while ripping off three shots into the stand knocking off a lot of snow as one of the bullets struck a branch.  I stopped about halfway up the hill and watched the stand to see if anything moved but saw nothing.  I did not continue up the hill to look for sign or tracks, almost like a wall stopping me from going any further.  The feeling that we were being watched was gone and we continued fishing and working our way back to the car. 

I never gave it much thought again until recently while hiking here in the Florida Panhandle I heard that same incessant monotonous note coming from a thick swamp where I had been hiking.  That uncomfortable feeling of being watched accompanied the sound.  I had been setting out some snares for coyotes as they were becoming a little too bold for my taste and had taken a cat out of my front yard.  I snared one but something had torn it to shreds, flinging entrails all over the place and tearing it in half.  I had never seen that before.  My daughters had also mentioned some strange happenings from when they were walking in a park at night close to where I depart the beaten path and head into the brush.  The barking of a dog almost like it is being beaten or tortured, a loud sound that comes up to the edge of the woods and seems to pervade the whole area normally accompanied by the flute sound in between the tortured wailings of the dog.

After seeing this thing on TV the other night I have become quite curious as to what is going on and would ask anyone on the forum if they know what this is all about, I am all ears.  Thanks.

Welcome to UM  ganixle :st Please, take time to read the site rules- they are located at the top of the site and on the left. Take time to read some threads, and enjoy your time here on UM :tu:

Now, to your post. There are a few birds that can give a call that sounds quite a bit like one note on a flute. There are some calls that sound like other wind instruments too. Some animals have rather strange sounds too. Sometimes the wind hits objects in such a manner that it causes whistling as well.

I find it rather alarming that you so grossly misused a firearm. Considering you claim of being in the military at the time, and assumeably with proper firearms training, it's almost horrifying that you behaved in such a manner. You were under duress of such overwhelming fear that you pulled out your firearm, and ran firing into the woods. Dude :td: What if there had actually been someone in the woods and you shot them?

• Like 1