Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

In-depth case study of a haunting?

malley

Does anyone know of a good, in-depth case study of a haunted location? It's easy to find lists of purportedly haunted locations, or to find individual sightings. But I'm looking for a source (a book? a website?) that documents all known sightings at any specific location. For example, is there any source that documents all known "ghostly" encounters on the RMS Queen Mary? Doesn't have to be the Queen Mary of course, that's just an example. I'm curious for research purposes to see how frequently sightings actually occur at haunted locations, and whether or not they are consistent. But all the sources I can find only list locations or tell individual stories. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• malley

• rashore

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to UM malley :st Please, take time to read the site rules- those can be found in the top sidebars on the left side. Check out some threads and enjoy your time here on UM :tu:

As to your post. Why yes, there are good, in depth studies of haunted locations. But it can depend on what you mean by in depth case study. And it can really vary from location to location. Like some haunts are rather high profile, and have regular tours, and document a lot. Others are shambles of local lore and gaffed spook curious.. and sometimes other human things.

There are some bed and breakfasts that ask folks staying over to write down or otherwise report if anything spooky happened. Or old asylums that have regular ghost tours. Ghost and historical tours often keep good recent accountings on their various sites. Some haunts have entire sites or forum areas devoted to them.  In general, I've rarely seen a updated and totally complete "everything on place X" kind of book or site. It usually takes 2-5 sources to really start piecing together a "complete" profile.

My best advice.. look around at lists and see what strikes your fancy. Then from there, do research on a place. It should turn up fairly quickly how much historical and spooky documentation is available or not. I would very strongly advise that whatever place or places you settle on, include researching the legal status of these places.

Thanks rashore! That was very informative. I will do inquiring at some local places to start off with, and maybe contact some of my areas of interest to see if they keep a record. I know atleast one local place that offers ghost tours, might be a good place to start. Also, the local psychiatric hospital closed down recently; unfortunately I wasn't in town for the public ghost tour they gave afterwards. But alot of the staff were always insistent that it was haunted. Some of them I know personally, including my father, who had experiences there but was always unwilling to discuss them. It might be worthwhile to ask a few of them if they know of any record keeping.