Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's your favourite decade and why?

jethrofloyd

I think mine would be 70's. The music, the movies, the fasion seemed more natural and interesting at that time. But, I could br wrong. :)

• Like 4

90's for me, 95 and up probably because that was when I was starting to grow up and discover music which I was HUGELY into back then, I was a teenager back then, I loved the music, The clothes (to a certain extent, some i'm sure would make me go aaaargh if I saw them again) there were some good programmes on tv, I didn't really have any responsibilities apart from sometimes cooking for the family when I came home from school, I had the best friends I thought I'd ever have and I still had all my grandparents. They were happy days, Being a teenager can be some of the worst times of your life but they can be the best too and I always look back on the 90s with a smile.

Edited by Cat_From_Hell
  • Like 4

I kind of love living this current decade, we have so many great things going on. 

• Like 4

I grew up in the '90's, but the '00's are my favorite only because that's when I was first able to enjoy the internet.

• Like 3

The 80,s....

The Music, the concerts, and the people. Everyone got along. Popularity contests were not the big thing. People did not judge by what you had, or did not have. Parents could spank us. We had respect for adults. ( still did stupid things, but still ) Held doors open, said thank you, and your welcome.

We actually knocked on doors to say hello. Called on phones from homes, no cell phones. Made plans, and stuck with them.

People went tubing down the river ( Reno,Nevada ) all summer long. Or camping at lakes in big groups. Not playing video games, and being on the internet..

Fishing and hunting....Not playing video games.

New all the neighbors names, and they new ours.

Just watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High, or the movie " Rock Star "......Add in the fishing, tubing, lakes, snow skiing.........And, you have my life, among many others in Reno, Nevada.

me80s.jpg

me80s.jpg.a24fc12b835748f19eee0d7336d388

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 6

80s.  Music, cartoons, Star Wars, strong POTUS, strong USA.  Plus I was a kid before responsibilities hit me up side the head and neck.  People seemed a lot happier back then, less bickering about unimportant things.

• Like 4

The 90's were pretty awesome,as were the early 2000's...

I think in this type topic we will all see a strong trend...

Most of our favorite times we can all recall was our childhoods and teen years up until our early 20's.

You never can feel more free than when you only have few responsibilities lol

At those time periods we all never really worried about politics,paying bills,and numerous other things that come from being a adult.

But as much as things change,they also keep staying the same...

• Like 3

10-15 years ago in my early 20's I always wished I was that age in the 1970's. The music, the pot, the muscle cars, probably my dad's stories had an influence too. Loved it all. Still kind of do though I think I'm done with weed. I was born in October of '79 and always tell my wife I'm a 70's kid and that I have the spirit of the 70's coursing through my veins to which she always snaps back to knock it off because I'm a child of 80's. Nope, I made the cut! I always liked the 80's too of course. My first memories of everything came from then. Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Little Shop of Horrors. Saturday Morning Cartoon Express. My earliest memories of music were Van Halen's Jump and The Police's I'll be watching you. My dad played those records like crazy. Michael Jacksons Thriller was a record I remeber playing myself a lot. The covers of those albums were burned in my head. The first music video I ever remember was 99 Luft Balloons followed by A-Ha Take on Me which really captured my imagination as a small kid. The 99 Luft Balloons video was always a jittery mash of images that I could never place aside from knowing it was the first music video I seen and it wasn't many many years later in the late 90's while watching pop-up video on Vh1 that that video came on and jogged my memory. I must've been 4 when that was put out.

ok i should probably stop unless you want to hear the entire evolution of me. I tend to run on when I join topics like this. Maybe it helps keep old memories from fading. Quick, find me a couch and I'll spill it all. So looking at what I've done here I'd have to say that it must be the 80's is my favorite. Those are my roots. 

• Like 2

Oh, and I'm shocked that a guy named JethroFloyd has an affinity for the 70's!

• Like 4

Well Fess what you describe is more of what generation and where you felt you would have belonged personally upon growing through through those years...

Hell if that's the conversation put me in the medevil times for one side of me and the 60's for the other lol :tu:

• Like 4

Well CK I'm not sure how else to consider a favorite decade. I feel like I belong to all five decades I've been a part of. I feel like the real premise of the thread, if not choosing one from memory, is to choose one you'd like to see. I'd like to see and partake in the 80's, 70's, 60's and 50's as an adult. Anytime before that and we are talking eras of history of which I'd like to see bits of all of them but not really partake in them. If only I could jump into a time traveling telephone booth and see it all. Where'd I get that excellent idea?

• Like 4

Agreed Fess...

I just if not going by time periods i actually experienced knowingly i might aswell just go by my personality type for said time periods that would fit me personally...Half laid back,lets all have fun and do what we want...and half warlord hahaha

• Like 2

Id be more inclined to other generations if let's say, I was immortal and could time travel. Medicine in any other time period is friggen frightening. Having a child in any time before 1940-1950, I'll pass! 

• Like 4

I've always thought of the horror of dentistry before anesthesia. That comes from once having a molar pulled without enough novicaine. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, F3SS said:

I've always thought of the horror of dentistry before anesthesia. That comes from once having a molar pulled without enough novicaine. 

Tooth pain is scary, but eye surgery scares me way more! 

• Like 3

I recall a documentary on ancient medicine where it was said that Egyptians iirc in at least this particular instance were masters of eye surgery. And in that note, watching the great pyramid being built is the exact time and place I'd go back to if I could above all others. Runner up, going back to meet DaVinci and the master artists of the time.

• Like 4

Any decade where road rage wasn't evident, people didn't commonly keep vicious dogs, and people didn't cover themselves with hideous tattoos, or think coffee was a reason to decide where to live.

• Like 4

I can agree on everything about pre modern medicin...

But now we are reaching the age of the end of antibiotics!Another truly scary time period because of pure stupidity and excess...

Also as a person who has had major surgeries involving my neck region and nerve fibers,i couldn't imagine what could if anything be done about such injuries pre '40's...

As far as health concerns "the good ol days were terrifying!"

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

But now we are reaching the age of the end of antibiotics!Another truly scary time period because of pure stupidity and excess...

Could get nasty. Prior to antibiotics, which is still within the span of living memory for a few, one-third of people died from bacterial infections, and many quite young.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

As far as health concerns "the good ol days were terrifying!"

My father told me, that his father told him, "There were no good old days!" They sucked, but life got better.

Nostalgia is a slippery slope.

• Like 2

Yeah habitat,i don't wan't to "like" your post simply on the nature of the topic,but with each passing decade of mutations to such diseases they usually get stronger and more agrressive!

What was once 1/3 could easily nowdays carry over to half or more...

Gotta ramp things up and stay on our toes because the greatest killers of humanity throughout the ages havn't been people themselves,but what we can't SEE commin!!!

Decade with the fondest memories: (tie) 1980s, 1990s

Decade I wished I lived in if for a short time: 1930s

Decade I'd say is my fave overall: now. 

Edited by Skulduggery
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...