Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Theme parks

Skulduggery

I went to Disney World a few times in the '80s and once in '98 for a class trip. Besides that, never got into going to theme parks until recently. It was never my thing. I have found it's not so much the rides that hook me but the history of the rides and park.

The old wooden coasters at Cedar Point in Ohio are sweet. There's an old water park in Florida I'm going to this year called Wild Waters. It's very "retro" and chill, or so it appears. I haven't been there since 1991 and it's been teetering on closing down for years so it'll be interesting.

What are some interesting theme parks and by all means, indulge in writing about the weird oddities and historical places and the abandoned ones too. I haven't been to too many since I found this new appreciation for them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kennywood is a historic Pittsburgh legend. You're better off doing a Wiki research on it but it is old as can be with wooden coasters and some classic old rides and lots of history. Tons of new stuff too. I haven't been there in years but me and my wife were just talking about going for a night this summer. It's only a few miles from me. It's not exactly small but it's a park you could cover in one day. 

• Like 1

Lake Winnepesaukah, commonly known as Lake Winnie, opened in 1925 and is still going strong. Nearly every teen within 20 miles got their first kiss in the Boat Chute. I grew up on adjoining property and the firework displays on the 4th of July and Memorial Day are fantastic. It also has one of the old retro wooden coasters and an antique carrousel. When I was growing up it was free admittance and you paid for each activity, but that has since changed. Many fond memories of the place, including working there one summer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Winnepesaukah#Incidents

• Like 1