Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare illness makes people think they are dead

UM-Bot

A rare condition called Walking Corpse Syndrome leaves sufferers feeling as though they are zombies.

First described by French neurologist Jules Cotard in 1880, the condition leaves patients with delusional beliefs ranging from having missing internal organs to being clinically dead.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/295075/rare-illness-makes-people-think-they-are-dead

• Like 1

Thinking one is immortal and then actively doing something to test it out ... I wonder what the stats are on that?

If I thought I was dead, I'd know I wasn't because I'm thinking. The missing organs etc, that condition brings to mind Frank, who posted here and elsewhere complaining that his organs had stopped working

Edited by Vlawde
  • Like 1

"Perhaps the best known contemporary case of Walking Corpse Syndrome is that of a man known only as Graham who for nine years has lived with the belief that he no longer has a brain or a head. "

Huh. My wife tells me this.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 6

I suspect many have witnessed the effect of Monday morning prior to coffee. Regardless, Oliver Sacks would have embraced this anomaly.

This is not new news, they are very rare cases of delusion and depression....on the extreme level.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/mental-disorders/what-is-cotards-syndrome.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion

• Like 1

Umm..to begin with, what would these people have in order for them to compare their condition to that would make them think they are dead?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryu said:

Umm..to begin with, what would these people have in order for them to compare their condition to that would make them think they are dead?

Hence why they are delusional.  But today they have zombie and vampire films,  and ofcourse youtube,  would not surprise me If we start seeing more of these cases now they are "advertising" It. 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

this sounds like me after my week of nightshift..

• Like 2

On 5/31/2016 at 2:09 PM, Vlawde said:

If I thought I was dead, I'd know I wasn't because I'm thinking. 

Yeah that's what I was going to bring up.

"OMG, I think I'm dead.  I'd better call someone, fast!"

• Like 1