Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do ouiji boards actually work ?

Ouijipesmist

I would say they work but there are several factors in play.  But, I am still a bit perplexed on "how" they work.

These are my opinions so please don't take any of this as me standing on a soapbox and "professing truth".  How 'well' they work or what is experienced depends on the mental health, maturity, intelligence, and openness of those involved (and probably more factors that I didn't list).  Some people I have spoken with over the years say nothing happened, or it was very simplistic and slow.  These people may not have given it a chance to work.  It's like learning a new skill as far as I am concerned.  Nobody learns to ride a bike one day and then do awesome tricks the following day.  It take time.

True skeptics may have a difficult time getting a Ouija board to work perhaps due to their close-mindedness or unwillingness to open up.  Other people, who may have accepted certain dogma through their upbringing or culture they were raised my also have difficulties getting the board to work properly.

I experienced some very definitive, numerous, and jaw-dropping sessions, both good and bad.  A few were witnessed by bystanders who weren't even interested in the Ouija board.

Regarding the bad, my strongest theory thus far is that we have the ability to open ourselves up to evil or dark forces, or conjure it up ourselves perhaps depending on our own fears, religious views (Heaven & Hell, belief in an actual evil force, etc.).  This was my experience.  I was a teenager, playing with the board with a few other of my teen friends and we were naive enough to delve into some pretty disturbing stuff.  We weren't seeking out bad stuff.  It just got to the point that physical things were happening and we were all scared sh#$less.  That said, once we faced our fears and studied up on how to cleanse our lives we were able to make all of the bad stuff go away.  That is why I believe that humans have the ability to conjure up evil if we open the doors and/or ourselves to it.  Through my own studies over the years I am leaning further and further away in the belief that true evil exists.

My only warning to people about using the Ouija board is to stay away from 'dark' forces.  If something comes on the board that doesn't feel right, or it starts to feel evil, then banish it from the board.  You have the power to do so.  Also, be careful not to be manipulated by bad forces.  We experienced this.  We were naive at a certain time.  Whatever we were talking to through the board manipulated us slowly.  Granted, we were all 17 years old or so.  But anyway, we soon found ourselves in a bit of trouble, probably because we were looking for it.  It was exciting.  But sh$t got real and you probably don't want to go there.

BUT....

The good stuff that happened was so amazing it really blew our minds.  The planchette moved so fast and smooth that we had to have a friend write down what was being spelled out on the board because we couldn't keep up.  The board could literally spell out two or three paragraphs so quickly that we wouldn't have any time to understand what was being said.  Then, our friend would read back what they wrote down during the communication and it all made sense.  Now that I am in my mid-forties I am actually trying to put a group together to try the board once more.  Now I am much more mature and I won't be stupid enough to go down the wrong path again.

Also, the planchette can move so fast that it would be impossible for any one or more person to 'control' what was being spelled out.  But, when first starting out with new users the planchette moves quite slowly and we had numerous arguments accusing each other of purposely moving the planchette to spell out words.  I later came to believe that this was due to our newness to using the Ouija.  That didn't last long.  Within a few weeks we were all convinced that something was definitely going on.  Either through us, outside forces, or both.

Here are my theories on how the Ouija board might be able to work....(no particular order)

1) There are planes of existence outside of our own physical plane in which we are able to tap into.  The trick is to open yourself up to it.  Relax.  Believe.

2) Humans have the ability to tap into, or connect with each other (brains perhaps) and do some pretty amazing stuff.  Maybe we make it work because we are all joined by some invisible telekinetic or psychic connection.  Not sure.

Lastly, perhaps some of you might be interested in the book Messages From Michael, by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro.  It's about a group of people that started using the Ouija board in the 1970's.  I really like the book.  There are numerous things in there that I and my friends experienced.  I don't necessarily agree or accept it all but it's still an interesting read.

Oops.  One more thing.  Doesn't matter if you can buy it at Toys R Us.  It's just a tool.  You can make one yourself.  But they do work.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Never used one myself peronally If someone asked me to I would check it out. 

14 minutes ago, stevemagegod said:

Never used one myself peronally If someone asked me to I would check it out. 

Then do it.

• Like 2

Ouija Boards do work. But don't play with them.

Only I can play with them. For I am a wise and powerful Warlock!

• Like 1

I still maintain they "work" without a doubt. What is really being asked is "are you contacting spirits/demons/etc" WHEN they "work".

My group also had the traveler move so fast numerous people lost their positioning on it (their finges slipped off), it would travel OFF the board onto people or off the table, different "spirit guides" would have different patterns the traveler would make to announce them, and such, were actuall common, eventually. Also common though, was, you could tell who was "influencing" the answers and actions, by what friend was on the boad and the "style" for lack of a better word, of the answers or communication. One could say obviously the person interested in herbalism and shamanism would have  a spirit guide that talks about that, but that is a pretty huge assumption that discounts more reasonable explanations in line before that one...

They must do something........ because they are still making and selling them.  Maybe for each board bought a Demon rises from below ........ and with E.T. coming down from above we are stuck in the middle here on earth ........ middle earth ......... hay someone should write a book. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I've never used one myself but a girl I knew around 45 years ago (showing my age!) did something very similar at her school during her lunch hour. It wasn't an actual board as such but she, and her friends, wrote out the alphabet on individual pieces of paper, laid it in a circle and used a glass. Her school was a converted old Victorian house and the room they were in had large bay windows which had curtains. She told me they started asking questions and asked if anyone was there. They didn't get any response initially but they then asked if there was anyone there to give them a sign. At the exact moment they asked the question all the curtains fell to the floor.

Needless to say they were terrified and ran out the room screaming. Whether it was co-incidence or paranormal,  who knows,  but what would be the chance of something like that happening by chance? She was very disturbed by the incident.

6 hours ago, Forever Cursed said:

They must do something........ because they are still making and selling them.  Maybe for each board bought a Demon rises from below ........ and with E.T. coming down from above we are stuck in the middle here on earth ........ middle earth ......... hay someone should write a book. :rolleyes:

They sure do, do something.  And that's make a bit of money for the company, when the gullibles that buy them.

• Like 3

played with them and tarot cards ........ so far so good !!  But that was decades ago .... maybe they have a new formula for their boards........... because mine must have been broken,  or maybe I am oblivious to the dead so they just ignore me and figure why bother ?

• Like 1

The ouija boards sold in toy stores. is not that same thing as a haunted one hand crafted by a real witch!

Only the wooden hand crafted ones work right.

• 3 months later...

A friend and I used to "play" with a board while we were in college. Got some interesting stuff, but that's all it was.

I always wanted to try one on highschool but all my freinds were chickens and trying it alone wouldn't be any fun.

Edited by spartan max2

• 4 weeks later...

I have had lots of experience with spirit communicaition or atleast I believe I have (the verdict is still out on my sanity). I will give you my thoughts on them but please take these with a grain of salt. 

First: they do work if you are in a mental state that allows communication. 

Second: what you give is what you get. If you are scared and nervous you will get someone who will delight in being mischievous and attempt to frighten you. 

Third: they are not portals to the underworld or evil in anyway. There is nothing that can happen to you because of communication with spirits. as far as I am aware they are unable to manifest themselves physically in anyway and have no ability to possess or control you. 

Most of all I want to say that buying a board or using one with other people is unessecary and normally counterproductive. Relax and meditate to clear your mind and then focus on communicating. If you feel an urge or a presence, ask if there is anyone there that would like to speak with you. Using your hand rested lightly on a table or your leg let them spell out what they are saying that way or make a board out of cardboard and use your finger as a planchette. This will take time, but soon you will be able to hear what they are saying rather than using your body to transcribe it. The concept of the spirit moving the planchette is not in this crazy guy's opinion how it works, but rather you through suggestion moving it yourself. 

But as I said in the beginning the verdict is out on my sanity and please take my opinion as it is, an opinion only. I do not proclaim to have any expertise in this area only personal experience. 

Good luck

Edited by TooterFish
I fail at grammar

Ouija Boards like Pet Rocks can be trained to attack........... just ask my little brother.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2016 at 2:55 PM, baronesslucy said:

I remember being told a real creepy story about someone I knew quite well who went on the Ouiji board and asked a question about her son.  The words NG came up which didn't make any sense and  she said the first thought that came to her mind was no good.  She didn't think that of her son but was surprised that that came out of her mouth.  Sadly her son later had drug problems and later committed suicide.  

I've only been on a ouiji board once and this was back in the mid-1970's.  My friend who had the ouiji board told me that soon after she got the ouiji board some unsettling things started to happen (she didn't tell me exactly what)  She threw the ouiji board out and told me that I should never play with one.    

Some of the things that the ouiji board told me came to pass and some did not.  None of these things were bad but I've known some people that this has foretold tragic events  (mainly deaths)

I truly believe in the ouiji board  you play with the Ouija board and you ask a question about say your son a father and mother you don't know what doors are opening when you play with the Ouija board and they can be very dangerous sometimes you may think that you're talking to your loved ones but you're actually not talking to them you could've open the door to an evil spirit and death will follow for some people I believe that 

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with the ideal of them working is simple.

If they work.. why don't they work every time? Or even most of the time.

it's simply.

Use a board (Something happens later) = Blame it on the board.

Use the board (Nothing happened) = Forget you used the board..

My friends uncle killed him self  years ago so we were hanging out our frriends house and his dad had a board he buys and sells toys lol so there was 4 of  us  me my 2 friends and his girl friend we were siting at the kitcken table and we asked if his uncle was there and the light above the table turned green it went from a white light to a greenish color and we ran out of the house  true story

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oujia boards do work, because of the spirits engery/power.  They do no need a Oujia Board to come in contact with you, it could be a text, a writing doc, a pencil/paper.  Though they wont kill someone if its like a paper, now with the Oujia Board they can kill you. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm so sorry you lost your friends so young. Personally I think it's not a toy or a tool. It's a horrible thing that should never be used. It's a portal that let's anything in, good or bad. It should never be trusted ever. You and your friends fell prey to the trap of the ouija board. And I wholeheartedly believe that as well. I'm not just being dramatic. It doesn't matter if you use it, just having it near you, owning it, coming into contact with it is nasty. I seriously believe they do work. 

• 3 weeks later...