Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do ouiji boards actually work ?

Ouijipesmist

I did a ouiji board with two friends on a gravestone in the summer of 87. It is coming up to 30 years since I lost my two friends at the age of 14. It was a crazy summer where everyone was playing it and joking about how it worked. Unfortunately for me we did it late one evening after school and when we marked out the board on a gravestone, the glass moved and spelled out the words death two my two friends it said live to me on my turn. 

My friends died in a drowning accident five weeks after on our summer fishing trip to a local quarry, I was with them at the time and both died in front of my due to the cold water and swimming exhausting.

To this day I still remain a pesermist and whether it is conincidental or whether it is my emotial suffering due to the tragedy.

Just wondering can anyone clarify whether the incident with the ouiji may have come true !

• Like 3

It has more to do with the ideomotor effect and the subconscious. Although you will find other here that disagree. Unfortunately we like to associate tragedy with a preconceived expectation. As in the case of the ouiji prophecy.

• Like 3

No. It's a marketing ploy.

• Like 7

I remember being told a real creepy story about someone I knew quite well who went on the Ouiji board and asked a question about her son.  The words NG came up which didn't make any sense and  she said the first thought that came to her mind was no good.  She didn't think that of her son but was surprised that that came out of her mouth.  Sadly her son later had drug problems and later committed suicide.  

I've only been on a ouiji board once and this was back in the mid-1970's.  My friend who had the ouiji board told me that soon after she got the ouiji board some unsettling things started to happen (she didn't tell me exactly what)  She threw the ouiji board out and told me that I should never play with one.    

Some of the things that the ouiji board told me came to pass and some did not.  None of these things were bad but I've known some people that this has foretold tragic events  (mainly deaths)

Edited by baronesslucy
  • Like 1

If you had it spelled Ouiji instead of Ouija, then there is a 100% chance that nothing happened.

If you had it spelled Ouija, then there is still a 99.99999% chance nothing happened, and if something happened it was most likely your imagination.

Tl:dr - Your friends were messing with you.

• Like 6

Some people swear they've had bad things happen after using one. Personally I think it's just an urban myth, or people expecting bad things to happen, and if they do they attribute it to the board. I had one as a kid, and later on played with it extensively. Absolutely nothing.  It's just a cardboard toy

• Like 1

The creepy stories that I've heard personally from different people would make me think twice about playing on a Ouiji board.  

• Like 1

It never worked for me. I've been told that's because I don't believe they will work, but that's not really true. Maybe I just have too steady of a hand. 

• Like 3

Penn and Teller did an experiment to debunk the ouija. They did a regular session,with the folks involved going ooh and ahh and purportedly getting messages from beyond. Then they blindfolded the participants...and got nothing. They couldn't see the letters on the board so they couldn't consciously or subconsciously move it.

• Like 8

A Ouija board is a toy or a tool.

It depends on the circumstances.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vlawde said:

Penn and Teller did an experiment to debunk the ouija. They did a regular session,with the folks involved going ooh and ahh and purportedly getting messages from beyond. Then they blindfolded the participants...and got nothing. They couldn't see the letters on the board so they couldn't consciously or subconsciously move it.

THIS! THIS! A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!

The believers then claimed it didn't work because the 'spirits' need the participants eyes to see.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Generally speaking, the only way Ouija Boards could hurt someone is if you hit them over the head with one. But if a person is unhinged in any way, there is always the potential of psychological harm. But do the boards really work? Nope, don't think so. The sensed-presence effect does though. :)

Edited by Clair
  • Like 1

I hate when good boards go bad ............. but every other experience talks about how people were attacked. One such attack happened to my little brother ....... one day we were sitting there playing with the board when a commotion broke out,  he didn't make it to the door before that board caught him squarely between the shoulder blades ... so much for  "You can't hit what you can't catch !"   But I am going to go with possession by the Ouija as a defense .......................

Edited by Forever Cursed
  • Like 1

I've got over 250 hours "logged" on the Ouija boards, hands-on, besides the time I spent watching or writing down the results, during my foray into it and other new age/occultism in the 90s. It was entertaining, sometimes scary, often funny, and interesting, but I agree with most of the others here that it operates on a known pscho-physiological principle, the ideomotor effect, the same present in dowsing rods, pendulums and automatic writing. I believe it's harmless and in fact, there are many things kids or adults could do to pass time, that I'd be MUCH much more concerned about. I do agree people CAN go overboard though, get pseudo-traumatized, freak out, develop delusions, etc.

I've had a lot of bad or at least not helpful things happen in my life and it could be a lot better, but at the age of almost 43, I don't look back at my 19 year old's self Ouija usage and say "Aha, right there! THAT's why my life sucks now!".

I enjoyed Penn and Teller's expose on the board, and there are two other non P&T experiments freely watchable on Youtube that demonstrates the ideomotor effect at work in board use. However, I still enjoy it and I have heard the argument about the blindfolds interfering in the "spirits", and one identical story that comes to mind is the most famous, oldest case of Ouija use was Mrs. Pearl Curran, channeling Patience Worth, who used to write massive amounts of things, first using a board and then later via automatic writing, who, when asked why blindfolding Pearl made Patience unable to produce output, Patience said "You would take away an artist's brush and expect him to produce a masterpiece?" I loved reading her stuff, she had a number of books, both novels and books of poems, published, which is a helluva feat since Pearl Curran hadn't completed much school and supposedly couldn't possibly have produced the literary quality works she did.

Edited by Paranormalcy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2016 at 6:36 PM, acute said:

A Ouija board is a toy or a tool.

It depends on the circumstances.

I struggle to find when a piece of cardboard with letters on it could ever be used as a tool.

Works exactly the way it was designed to work. A remarkably effective tool of self-deception.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2016 at 2:40 PM, Paranormalcy said:

I've got over 250 hours "logged" on the Ouija boards, hands-on, besides the time I spent watching or writing down the results, during my foray into it and other new age/occultism in the 90s. It was entertaining, sometimes scary, often funny, and interesting, but I agree with most of the others here that it operates on a known pscho-physiological principle, the ideomotor effect, the same present in dowsing rods, pendulums and automatic writing. I believe it's harmless and in fact, there are many things kids or adults could do to pass time, that I'd be MUCH much more concerned about. I do agree people CAN go overboard though, get pseudo-traumatized, freak out, develop delusions, etc.

I've had a lot of bad or at least not helpful things happen in my life and it could be a lot better, but at the age of almost 43, I don't look back at my 19 year old's self Ouija usage and say "Aha, right there! THAT's why my life sucks now!".

I enjoyed Penn and Teller's expose on the board, and there are two other non P&T experiments freely watchable on Youtube that demonstrates the ideomotor effect at work in board use. However, I still enjoy it and I have heard the argument about the blindfolds interfering in the "spirits", and one identical story that comes to mind is the most famous, oldest case of Ouija use was Mrs. Pearl Curran, channeling Patience Worth, who used to write massive amounts of things, first using a board and then later via automatic writing, who, when asked why blindfolding Pearl made Patience unable to produce output, Patience said "You would take away an artist's brush and expect him to produce a masterpiece?" I loved reading her stuff, she had a number of books, both novels and books of poems, published, which is a helluva feat since Pearl Curran hadn't completed much school and supposedly couldn't possibly have produced the literary quality works she did.

I don't believe this experiment because there is no reason why would a spirit has to move the lower coin first. A spirit is like a person, obviously he has to put his finger on the upper coin first.

Apparently people just believe everything posted on the internet when it's done in the name of science without spending the time to think logically them-self.

.... wh...aaaat...?

Well I can only say I know what I experieced myself, and it affirms this. And you can find more than one person repeating this experiment with the same result. You can say "the spirit put their finger on the traveler first" but it still works out to have the same effect - there is physical evidence of the direction of force used, and it is idential to if the people were moving it themselves, so... interpretation is up to an individual after that.

It supposedly worked when we used one on Ed Gein's grave, but I am highly doubting of their veracity. 

On 6/25/2016 at 6:31 AM, FlyingAngel said:

I don't believe this experiment because there is no reason why would a spirit has to move the lower coin first. A spirit is like a person, obviously he has to put his finger on the upper coin first.

Apparently people just believe everything posted on the internet when it's done in the name of science without spending the time to think logically them-self.

Now that's ironic.

• Like 3

They sell these things at "Toys R Us" .......... wait a minute .... Jeffery Giraffe has horns ...... what are the odds ? :blink:

• Like 4