Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Box, Missing for 31 Years, Found

Keel M.

If any moderators read this and believe it should be moved, I'm all for it. ;)

I didn't know there was a list online of black boxes that have never been recovered from plane crashes, but this being the internet, I shouldn't be surprised.

Last year, Dan Futrell fell down an internet hole that started with search for MH370 and landed him on the Wikipedia page listing unrecovered flight recorders. On that list, one stood out to him: the records for Eastern Air Lines Flight 980, which was traveling from Paraguay to Miami when it crashed into a mountain in Bolivia in 1985.

The flight itself interested Futrell less than the reason the recorders had never been recovered—the location of the crash was too inaccessible. Futrell took that as a challenge, and now, he and his friend Isaac Stone think they have found parts of one of the flight’s “black boxes” on Mount Illimani, the Boston Globe reports.

Full story

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I do recall that accident, I am a big air crash geek, the scrabbling around searching for the black boxes when everything else is smashed beyond recognition always strikes me as a darkly noble treasure hunt, it's like getting the picture of the jigsaw in most cases but whenever the black box is difficult to recover or useless or lost, it is riveting how they manage to piece together a theory.

• 2 months later...

The FDR that they found in Bolivia, was this the plane crash that Alive was based on?