Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New forum - general help and support

Saru

Hi,

I was wondering why my option of 'breaking down' a post into quote segments has changed.

I was use to clicking enter twice at the end of a sentence / and or paragraphs when I wanted to 'split' a post into quote boxes.

Now I have had to highlight the sentence / paragraph and hit the quote icon in the bar above.

It's ok - but I'd prefer the other option - as now I have the quote boxes within a larger box ?

2 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Hi,

I was wondering why my option of 'breaking down' a post into quote segments has changed.

You seem

I was use to clicking enter twice at the end of a sentence / and or paragraphs when I wanted to 'split' a post into quote boxes.

To still be able to do that.

Now I have had to highlight the sentence / paragraph and hit the quote icon in the bar above.

In fact, it looks rather like poetry. 

It's ok - but I'd prefer the other option - as now I have the quote boxes within a larger box ?

2 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

You seem

To still be able to do that.

In fact, it looks rather like poetry. 

Now, now stop showing off Otto - this is serious stuff you know :lol:

• Like 2

Nothing's changed on this end - hitting enter twice at the end of a sentence should do the trick.

Thank you - hitting the enter button twice at the end of a sentence has normally worked before. Anyway, I'll keep trying.

You aren't alone, Astra.  Pressing enter at the end of a paragraph most definitely does not always work, and sometimes is completely broken (at least in the Edge and Chrome browsers on W10 / W8.  A couple of things to try...

- make sure you put your cursor at the very end of the paragraph, not on an already blank line or before the full stop..

- press enter twice, then move the cursor back up to the same point at the end of the line, and try again. That works for me 95% of the time.

At times nothing will work... just a few hours back I tried to break a quote using those techniques and it just kept adding new lines within the quote - I could not break out at all, and as it was a complex topic, I just abandoned it.

Maybe it's my choice of browsers/operating systems... but I do a lot of this sort of quoting and the previous editor had several bugs too - I suspect the same team did this one and it's a conspiracy... 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

You aren't alone, Astra.  Pressing enter at the end of a paragraph most definitely does not always work, and sometimes is completely broken (at least in the Edge and Chrome browsers on W10 / W8.  A couple of things to try...

Ah, that's probably your answer right there. Stick to Windows 95, like I do. :mellow:^_^

- make sure you put your cursor at the very end of the paragraph, not on an already blank line or before the full stop.

- press enter twice, then move the cursor back up to the same point at the end of the line, and try again. That works for me 95% of the time.

At times nothing will work... just a few hours back I tried to break a quote using those techniques and it just kept adding new lines within the quote - I could not break out at all, and as it was a complex topic, I just abandoned it.

Maybe it's my choice of browsers/operating systems... but I do a lot of this sort of quoting and the previous editor had several bugs too - I suspect the same team did this one and it's a conspiracy... 

6 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Cheers ChrLzs - seems things are back to normal for me again. I do use Chrome on W10 - and I haven't struck this problem with splitting posts for a long time. I much prefer to do it 'this' way.

- make sure you put your cursor at the very end of the paragraph, not on an already blank line or before the full stop..

:tu:

Yes it can be rather frustrating to say the least. I found it happened with a few posts yesterday, and the day before - so I gave up trying - until I quoted one of yours in the "Earth from Space" thread last night.

Hmm! it must be a 'hit' and 'miss' thing that occurs from time to time.

Oooh! - surely not another conspiracy where 'they' are out to get us :ph34r: :w00t:

Anyway's if I strike this problem again - I shall bare with it - and try to have more patience.

Thanks again for the tips - it helped a lot :st 

My own two nickles short of a cent is probably the text has some sort of formatting embedded in it ... keep an eye on the now you see it now you don't message about 'text has formatting - remove formatting' thingy ...

Otherwise a good rule of thumb for me is to copy/paste the text into a 'notepad' file before copying/cutting it back into the comment box here on UM ... applies to links and youtube too ...

~

• Like 3

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

My own two nickles short of a cent is probably the text has some sort of formatting embedded in it ... keep an eye on the now you see it now you don't message about 'text has formatting - remove formatting' thingy ...

That's very astute and almost certainly correct.  However, there is no way to reveal those codes in this version of the editor...

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

Otherwise a good rule of thumb for me is to copy/paste the text into a 'notepad' file before copying/cutting it back into the comment box here on UM ... applies to links and youtube too ...~

While those are 'solutions'... this is all pretty basic stuff, and other editors out there seem to cope much better.  If you are going to design an editor, then you should really understand basics, like:

- how to handle embedded codes (without annoying the end user)

- how to consistently allow a person to press Enter (or maybe Ctrl or Shift-Enter) and have that *always* break the quote (without annoying the end user)

- how to ensure the end user cannot remove the last line break below/above the quote, thus locking up the editor (and annoying the end user)

.. and more..

Don't get me wrong, UM is the best forum out there, bar none, and it's not Saru's (or anyone else related to UM), fault.

But the editor is at the bottom of the pile - buggy and clunky - if I had programmed it and ended up with that many bits that don't work properly or consistently, then I'd be falling over myself to fix it.  Trouble is my programming skills date back to Basic, Pascal and C in the 90's and 00's...

You simply *shouldn't* have to do triple somersaults and copy/pastes and swear at it when you get stuck in a quote...

4 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

But the editor is at the bottom of the pile - buggy and clunky - if I had programmed it and ended up with that many bits that don't work properly or consistently, then I'd be falling over myself to fix it.  Trouble is my programming skills date back to Basic, Pascal and C in the 90's and 00's...

I think its more on the source of the text rather than the comment box text editor thing ... if the encoded formatting of the text is to be kept then it stands to reason that the comment box editor must leave the formatting alone ... which also means the text format is not 'edited' meaning things like 'tabulate' or 'Excel codes' or 'page breaks' and so on ... or 'inserted columns and cells'

Mostly I get into trouble with those sites that codes the links into every copied block of texts ... I understand the copyright issues and stuff so nowadays i just link to the headlines and don't bother with the body texts at all ...

Anyhow its just something to keep in mind rather than just trouble shooting all over the place ... what I do is I keep a Notepad New Document open and ready ... if I get into these kinky wonky issues I just Ctrl+A > Ctrl+X > Alt+Tab over to the notepad file and Ctrl+V > Ctrl+A > Ctrl+X > Alt+Tab again back to UM and Ctrl+V ...

Sounds complicated but hey I'm used to things like this ... I don't even have to look at the keyboard anymore ... only when I'm not using my own PC do I have to glance over once in a while ...

~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

But the editor is at the bottom of the pile - buggy and clunky.

Nonsense - CkEditor is one of the most popular rich text editor solutions out there.

It might not be without its flaws, but you always go way over the top in your criticism of it - it's a perfectly good piece of software.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

You simply *shouldn't* have to do triple somersaults and copy/pastes and swear at it when you get stuck in a quote...

Weird that. I copy and paste a lot and have very little in the way of problems.

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

if I get into these kinky wonky issues I just Ctrl+A > Ctrl+X > Alt+Tab over to the notepad file and Ctrl+V > Ctrl+A > Ctrl+X > Alt+Tab again back to UM and Ctrl+V ...

Oh, is that all? :mellow:

55 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Weird that. I copy and paste a lot and have very little in the way of problems.

yes, the easiest way to avoid any problems is just to click "Remove formatting" when it asks you, and it usually just pastes it in the regular format with no problems or hassle. But then, I've resisted Windows X, so that may be part of the problem, who knows. 

• Like 1

Depends on the sites sourced @Waspie_Dwarf ... not all but I'm seeing more and more sites that embed the codes and frowns on anything copy lifted from the pages ...

~

7 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

Oh, is that all?

Don't let it intimidate you Grand Moff ... its just 'select all' 'copy or cut' go to the destination 'paste' 'select all' 'copy or cut' go to destination 'paste'

As you can see its actually only copy paste there and copy paste here ...

6 minutes ago, Grand Moff Tarkin said:

yes, the easiest way to avoid any problems is just to click "Remove formatting" when it asks you, and it usually just pastes it in the regular format with no problems or hassle. But then, I've resisted Windows X, so that may be part of the problem, who knows. 

That's the thing ... not all the texts has the formatting removed ... sometimes I miss the 'remove formatting' thing because I type or hit [Enter] too fast and miss it ...

~

oh I forgot ... another thing one can do is to Ctrl Right Click in the comment box and Select Paste Without Formatting ... must make it a habit though ... usually I forget all about that and remembers only after the fact ... :lol:

Remove Quote and keep Contents is another Option too ... then you can add the Quotes where and when it applies ...

~

Edited by third_eye
addendum