Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New forum - general help and support

Saru

Thought I would start a general help and support thread to offer a centralised location to ask any questions or to request assistance regarding any of the functions of the new forum.

If you get stuck or don't know how to do something - this is the place to ask.

• Like 5

I like the forum, still getting used to it, but after about another 2 months I should be.........should be..............golden

:P

• Like 1

How do we get a youtube video to show up on a post...?...not just the url address but the actual video -- I tried to do it in a post earlier but it just showed the link --

thanks

It's always worked just by pasting teh url in for me.. (You don't have to take out the 's' from 'https' now either.)

• Like 1

testing testing ----

oh it did it - that was nice and easy--- perhaps the one I did earlier didn't allow embedding or something

cheers

Edited by bee
  • Like 1

Maybe the Trump filter wouldn't let it past.

• Like 1

I have a friend who is a fellow UMer. She is having difficulties using her phone on the website. She has a Samsung Galaxy Prevail and says that her keyboard does not work when she goes to post on the site. This site is the only one she has had trouble with. ANyone else with this phone having the same issues? IS there something she can do to get the keyboard to work?

Hi all, really liking the new forum. I perused the other 23-page thread and saw, near the end, this:

Set a bookmark in your browser - as far as I know the forum doesn't store the last page you were looking at and never has.

It may be a slightly different thing, but the old forum certainly 'remembered' where you were when you next visited - in terms of at which post you were reading in each thread. I had been reading some of the lengthy threads in the True Crime section and now I can only either return to the first post in the thread or the newest since I last visited - meaning I cannot find my previous location. There used to be a 'goto first unread post' link in the top right corner of a thread I believe, which performed this function.

Apologies if it is there under a different guise, but have not spotted it as yet.

Keep up the good work though, the new format is generally very good and pleasing on the eye. :)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Matt Vinyl said:

Hi all, really liking the new forum. I perused the other 23-page thread and saw, near the end, this:

It may be a slightly different thing, but the old forum certainly 'remembered' where you were when you next visited - in terms of at which post you were reading in each thread. I had been reading some of the lengthy threads in the True Crime section and now I can only either return to the first post in the thread or the newest since I last visited - meaning I cannot find my previous location. There used to be a 'goto first unread post' link in the top right corner of a thread I believe, which performed this function.

Apologies if it is there under a different guise, but have not spotted it as yet.

Keep up the good work though, the new format is generally very good and pleasing on the eye. :)

I was asked about that again afterwards, it turned out I misunderstood what was being asked.

The "go to first unread post" link is the little blue circle to the left of the thread title.

• Like 1

Perfect, thanks Saru. :) All the very best.

56 minutes ago, Saru said:

I was asked about that again afterwards, it turned out I misunderstood what was being asked.

The "go to first unread post" link is the little blue circle to the left of the thread title.

I don't have a little blue circle to the left of the thread title, but what I do have is a blue line underneath the last post that was available the last time I visited the thread.

10 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

I don't have a little blue circle to the left of the thread title, but what I do have is a blue line underneath the last post that was available the last time I visited the thread.

It's on the topic index - it will appear next to threads that are in bold ( denoting new posts )

16 hours ago, bee said:

testing testing ----

^ This belongs in one of the zillion Trump threads Bee :D

Edited by Astra.
  • Like 1

Aha, I can now post in this section again !!

OK I mentioned before you couldnt see users/guests when reading individual threads, that now is fixed...... BUT....before, if I went to a forum for ex, ET/ufo etc, I was able to see the users and guests at the bottom before I even read an individual thread.....ypu could 'see' if that section had many users/guests browsing that page, but you dont see that now

The main complaint I still have so far I think is that 'Activity' is so full of stuff that you can scroll down and click 'load more' literally dozens of times and you're still only on to 'three hours ago', while the filter under your profile doesn't take you to the first undread post in threads you've posted in, so it can be very difficult to catch up with threads, and things like 'Things that make you happy' can get lost unless you know which sub-forum they're in to go looking for them. 

Okay, it's just happened again! :angry: I am a big fan of emoticons and use them a lot. Since The Big Forum Change I have noticed that every now and again, when I try to insert a smiley in a post it either a) lands randomly in the post, or B) HEY! I THOUGHT THAT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN ANY MORE!! or 2) appears in the post but all the text disappears!

Another point: when I came to this thread just now it took me straight to the last post ..... this has not been happening in other threads I have visited today.

7 hours ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

The main complaint I still have so far I think is that 'Activity' is so full of stuff that you can scroll down and click 'load more' literally dozens of times and you're still only on to 'three hours ago', while the filter under your profile doesn't take you to the first undread post in threads you've posted in, so it can be very difficult to catch up with threads, and things like 'Things that make you happy' can get lost unless you know which sub-forum they're in to go looking for them. 

Otto: To click on the first unread post in a topic, you need to click on the dot or star next the to the title of the thread. That is the "go to first unread post button". If there is no new unread content, the dot or star will be grey and unclickable instead of blue and clickable.

And there is a "content I follow" option available to bookmark any threads you care to keep up with.

17 minutes ago, rashore said:

Otto: To click on the first unread post in a topic, you need to click on the dot or star next the to the title of the thread. That is the "go to first unread post button". If there is no new unread content, the dot or star will be grey and unclickable instead of blue and clickable.

And there is a "content I follow" option available to bookmark any threads you care to keep up with.

Oh I know, yes, but there doesn't seem to be a way to filter only threads that you've posted in. 'Content I Follow"? wait there, let me have a look. 

* Well, under my profile, there's 'manage followed content', is that the one? So what would I then have to do? Currently it says "There's nothing here. ". 

Edited by Otto von Pickelhaube

1 minute ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Oh I know, yes, but there doesn't seem to be a way to filter only threads that you've posted in. having to go through each one and remember to bookmark them sounds rather cumbersome, wait there, let me have a look. 

If you click on your avatar, it takes you to your profile... Which has your activity on it. That has your posting content, and only shows threads that you have posted in.

2 minutes ago, rashore said:

If you click on your avatar, it takes you to your profile... Which has your activity on it. That has your posting content, and only shows threads that you have posted in.

That's true, but it doesn't seem to take you to the first unread post. Sorry to be awkward. :( 

26 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

That's true, but it doesn't seem to take you to the first unread post. Sorry to be awkward. :( 

You still have to click on the blue dot or star that is the "first unread post" button that is next to the topic title to take you to the first unread post. If the dot or star is grey, there is no first unread post in that topic.

4 minutes ago, rashore said:

You still have to click on the blue dot or star that is the "first unread post" button that is next to the topic title to take you to the first unread post. If the dot or star is grey, there is no first unread post in that topic.

Yes, that's what I've been doing, I clicked on my picture of Donald and that took me to 'Activity', but it doesn't seem to come up with first unread post, in fact there are no dots or stars beside the thread titles. There are under 'All activity', but not if you try to filter just 'my actvity'. 

Edited by Otto von Pickelhaube

Eek! I've just noticed that a vital icon is missing from the toolbar at the top of this reply window. The one that enabled you to type stuff that was pre-crossed out. SO amusing !:lol: and used almost daily by the dedicated 'Fun & Games' oficionado .

8 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Eek! I've just noticed that a vital icon is missing from the toolbar at the top of this reply window. The one that enabled you to type stuff that was pre-crossed out. SO amusing !:lol: and used almost daily by the dedicated 'Fun & Games' oficionado .

Still there, further to the right along the top.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Yes, that's what I've been doing, I clicked on my picture of Donald and that took me to 'Activity', but it doesn't seem to come up with first unread post, in fact there are no dots or stars beside the thread titles. There are under 'All activity', but not if you try to filter just 'my actvity'. 

from the home page, click MY CONTENT...then you get just stuff youre involved in. (for me anyway),.  let us know if it works for you?:

Edited by seeder