Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Siberia crater accompanied by big bang, glow

UM-Bot

New details have emerged about the mysterious crater which opened up in a remote part of Siberia in 2013.

Originally discovered by reindeer herders, the huge crater, which was initially reported to be around 4 meters across and 100 meters deep, has since grown in size by as much as 15 times.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/295392/siberia-crater-accompanied-by-big-bang-glow

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Nnicolette

• paperdyer

• djfxw

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.  I wonder why only one expert has examined the site.  If the holes are being caused by natural gas, it might be worthwhile for a company in Russia to go see if the gas pocket is big enough to be commercial and tap it before the whole thing goes BOOM!  Of course they'd have to make sure the pocket isn't on fire first.

Well... Remember that hole that they lit on fire which never went out in turkmenistan? Hmmm....

I think it's a simple answer. Permafrost is what, ice? Dense ice. Dense ice could be melting and subliming beneath the surface, creating an underground spring or aquifer. The cracks created could become cavernous and as various sizes of chunks break apart and sink further into the permafrost they would create a crater on the surface. If such an underground landslide of crashing ice occurred with intense enough pressure you would get an ice volcano with a mist of ice ejecting into the atmosphere at the moment of the shift. Such volcanic activity is theorized on Saturn's moon Titan.

One thing Titan doesn't have that Siberia does is the biomass that makes methane as it thaws and decays. 

20 hours ago, paperdyer said:

Interesting.  I wonder why only one expert has examined the site.  If the holes are being caused by natural gas, it might be worthwhile for a company in Russia to go see if the gas pocket is big enough to be commercial and tap it before the whole thing goes BOOM!  Of course they'd have to make sure the pocket isn't on fire first.

It's in a pretty remote area. My guess is it's not that easy to get there. 

It's pretty creepy though isn't it?