Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amityville House For Sale

skookum

This article caught my eye.  You can now buy 108 Ocean Drive for $850,000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3630505/Amityville-Horror-house-six-family-members-brutally-murdered-goes-sale-850K.html

I remember reading some time ago that many people had put offers in but the owners refused to sell.  They also avoid any connection to the Grizzly murders, partly the reason why the altered the look of the house.

• Like 4

Thanks for the share!

41 minutes ago, skookum said:

This article caught my eye.  You can now buy 108 Ocean Drive for £850,000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3630505/Amityville-Horror-house-six-family-members-brutally-murdered-goes-sale-850K.html

I remember reading some time ago that many people had put offers in but the owners refused to sell.  They also avoid any connection to the Grizzly murders, partly the reason why the altered the look of the house.

It's 850K USD not GBP. ;)

There have been a few of these murder houses for sale, but can you notice what is missing in the description of this one?:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51847093.html

1 hour ago, skookum said:

This article caught my eye.  You can now buy 108 Ocean Drive for £850,000.

Actually, the DeFeo murders are not the reason why the look of the house was altered. The owners after the Lutzs, the Cromartys, changed the facade. This was because the Lutzs hoax was just getting published (Good Housekeeping in the weeks prior to their moving in, and the book release a couple months after they moved in), and there were many curiosity seekers trespassing and being a general harassment to the Cromartys. They also planted in trees and built a fence to try to keep the spookhounds out.

Subsequent owners, the O'Neills, Mr. Wilson and currently the D'Antonios have kept a low profile and just dealt with the curious as they have come and gone.

I hope the current owners repainted the 'Red Room' and filled in that nasty Demon Well in the basement at least. :whistle:

• Like 2

Depending on the discount because of, I'd have no problem buying a house where murders happened.

it still looks spooky to me . no, I wouldn't even enter it let alone buy it .

No thanks. Even if it's not haunted.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Princess Serenity said:

No thanks. Even if it's not haunted.

Yeah because even if you don't think it's haunted and never experience anything, people will still gawk and hound you for interviews. :rolleyes:

Seems this house changes ownership fairly often and the selling price just keeps dropping, or am I thinking of something else? 

Apparently people still just brazenly stop in front of the house and take pictures; some even just park in the driveway or stalk around the house without a care in the world. 

Yea, screw all that. 

• Like 1

Nice house, I wonder how many rooms and baths.  Turn it into a bed and breakfast.   ;)

• Like 3

Ok guys, found the real estate page for it.  5 bedrooms, 4 baths, that is just the ticket for a bed and breakfast. :)  On water. too. It is a bargain. 

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/108-Ocean-Ave-Amityville-NY-11701/32596605_zpid/

• Like 2

Making it a bed and breakfast would be ideal. That way any new owners wouldn't have to worry so much about privacy, people could come in and check out the house if they wanted.

• Like 3

It's a gorgeous place, turning it into a bed and breakfast would be neat, along with the history of the house.  

• Like 1

I never knew it had all those amenities in the back. What a nice place! Knew there had to something else along with that $850k price tag. 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

people could come in and check out the house if they wanted.

To an extent. I'm sure you can't just barge into even a B&B and have a looksee without permission. And methinks permission seeking is a foreign concept to anyone even LOOKING at the house.

Its history and large size would certainly make it ideal for a bed and breakfast. The tiny lot, though, would make parking difficult. Although, people may prefer to park on the street to make a fast getaway should accommodations become strangely precarious.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that the house will never be able to be used as a B&B. Zoning issues to start.. but even more so, the community surrounding the house wouldn't stand for it. This is the kind of thing Town Hall meetings are warfields about. Bad enough if one house is attracting "traffic". Let alone that house be open to the public and the additional "traffic" that would induce.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, highdesert50 said:

Its history and large size would certainly make it ideal for a bed and breakfast. The tiny lot, though, would make parking difficult. Although, people may prefer to park on the street to make a fast getaway should accommodations become strangely precarious.

There is a huge lot, garage and driveway on the lake side behind the house.

I don't know if that would a problem, rashore. Four rooms isn't that obtrusive compared to the people driving by trying to look. At least some people would be able to satisfy their curiosity, while not trespassing.

• Like 3

Thousands of people die in hospitals and people have absolutely no problems entering them. To many people brainwashed in believing what organized religion is selling them.

My only problem buying this house, aside from the 850k, is that its resale value would probably be impacted by the mass murders if I chose to resell it. 

If you want to have verifiable demon possession just look at any politician.

• Like 1

Considering that most if not all B&Bs are in residential areas, zoning isn't going to be the issue. The issue would ultimately be down to the neighbors. Considering the traffic, both auto and foot traffic, that they put up with now, I can't see how a B&B would change that. Maybe the number of gawkers would decrease if they knew they had the opportunity to spend at least one night.

A lot of B&B's are indeed in residential areas, but they have their own zoning. Sometimes a township will grant a non-conforming zoning on such a business. But a B&B is a business, it's a different kind of zoning than a standard residential. This house has the extra struggle on it because it's on the water, so there would likely be marine useage stuff in their bylaws about that at well.

This kind of stuff is actually interesting to me. The whole zoning and non-conforming zoning thing. You might be amazed by what is or isn't allowed, and how much it can be debated at the town hall. Like we just had one recently where I live that was a non-conforming business in a residential, and had a residence on it's multi-parcel lot. When it went up for sale, it kind of couldn't be sold to be used as a business due to the non-conforming zoning, and it took a few meetings to discuss it with the public, and vote on it, and get it passed into standard zoning so it can sell. It was a non-conforming because the business had existed before the zoning settlement of that area made it residential in its entirety. A B&B is kind of the opposite- it's trying to become a business in an area that is already zoned residential, and trying to get a non-conforming zoning can be more difficult to accomplish. Now, running a home business that isn't open to the public is different than trying to open a public house. So home businesses actually fall under tax laws instead of zoning laws, while public houses fall into zoning laws and tax laws.

And back to neighbors... I'm a little surprised that so many folks think that there wouldn't be an increase in traffic to the extent that it would be bothersome to the neighbors. And the lot on the property itself would have to be able to accommodate all overnight parking- it's illegal to be parked on the streets of Amityville between 3-6 AM. That may or may not be feasible considering that the driveway of this property and the neighbor are joined along the property line- the prospective B&B owner might have the biggest battle with this neighbor due to that setup.

17 hours ago, GreenmansGod said:

Nice house, I wonder how many rooms and baths.  Turn it into a bed and breakfast.   ;)

Well the TAPS founders already own one haunted hotel, why not go for 2?

No matter how scary the house, there will surely be someone who will buy it. Either they love the scare feel or they r just not scared..