Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts of Shepherdstown

mr3rdrock

Another new ghost show starts tonight on Destination America, Ghosts of Shepherdstown. Supposedly the most self-proclaimed haunted town in America.

The town supposedly gets a lot of 911 calls about paranormal events, and every episode will start off with a 911 call. It should be entertaining enough, sometimes I just wish Destination America would stop pumping these shows out. It appears that Nick Groff is the lead investigator.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3160730/ghosts-of-shepherdstown-is-a-haunting-new-series-from-destination-america-spoilers/

• Like 3

Saw it last night. So far..meh. Too overproduced, each  scene was abvioulsy  set up and choreographed. All reality shows have a production crew, but in most cases they follow the investigators/whoever as they do their thing with minimal scripting. Not so much here

• Like 4

I've only seen the commercials for it. But I'm not interested in watching. :/ 

• Like 1

These shows are all style over substance and nothing we haven't seen before. i won't be watching as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vlawde said:

Saw it last night. So far..meh. Too overproduced, each  scene was abvioulsy  set up and choreographed. All reality shows have a production crew, but in most cases they follow the investigators/whoever as they do their thing with minimal scripting. Not so much here

When they brought the psychic in and the "spirit" started to "grab her by the throat" I knew right then and there that I would never watch the show again.

I remember reading somewhere, not sure how true it is, that Nick Groff left Ghost Adventures because Zak Baggins had it way overproduced, and it was becoming more of an acting show than it was a "reality" show. If it is true then it is the epitome of hypocrisy, or just plain irony that he would take part in this show.

Paranormal Lockdown had its moments of going over the top, but all in all was entertaining. This Ghosts of Shepherdstown makes me have to suspend belief to the point where its not even fun watching it.

I would never believe that they had an "antique" safe and they never once investigated it.

• Like 2

I watched the first episode and was sorely disappointed.  :(

• Like 1

OMG DUDE! SOMETHING JUST TOUCHED ME BRO! I'M GETTING OUTTA HERE DUDE! :rofl:

And that's why I watch a lot of these shows, they're hilarious. I watched the first episode of Ghosts of Shepherdstown and it was meh. Not a lot of laughs, except for the psychic's over-dramatic gasping every time she sensed an evil energy. Oh yeah, and I almost died laughing when the cop said that the ghost hunters were their last hope for bringing normalcy back to the town. Hope he's not holding his breath!

• Like 2

I used to watch Ghost Adventures .... so much fun. It was like watching the three stooges of ghost hunting.  A perfect example was when Zack on national TV laid spread eagle on a chair and yelled for an incubus to take him now !  ( I would have paid good money to see that.  )  But the guy didn't even know the difference between a Succubus and an Incubus and still got his own reality show. But when they started all that possession B/S it just got to hard to watch .........

Edited by Forever Cursed
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Forever Cursed said:

I used to watch Ghost Adventures .... so much fun. It was like watching the three stooges of ghost hunting.  A perfect example was when Zack on national TV laid spread eagle on a chair and yelled for an incubus to take him now !  ( I would have paid good money to see that.  )  But the guy didn't even know the difference between a Succubus and an Incubus and still got his own reality show. But when they started all that possession B/S it just got to hard to watch .........

Haha I was watching an episode today where Zak "was possessed".  It was just bad comedy... Really bad comedy.

• 1 month later...

We don't get that channel...glad to know I'm not missing anything.

My boys used to love watching Ghost Adventures...they said it was like Frat Bros go ghost hunting....heh

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Destination America shows don't even pretend to be real -- no need for suspension of disbelief. I thought Ghosts of Shepherdstown was a mockumentary at first, but then I read they're claiming it's legit. I've seen less scripted/rehearsed dramas than the dross they've been producing.

I've always suspected Nick Groff, like all 'paranormal investigators' on TV, are nothing but charlatans after their next payday. This awful show confirms it. As to the 'sensitive' woman, I don't know where to begin. She's forever angry looking and always senses a man or woman nearby... hmm, you've got a 50/50 chance either way with that you fraud.

• Like 1

Can not get the channel, but for those who have seen it.....apart from all the bs this lot are making up, did anyone actually see a ghost and capture it on camera

• Like 2

3 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Can not get the channel, but for those who have seen it.....apart from all the bs this lot are making up, did anyone actually see a ghost and capture it on camera

It seems that the most any of these ghost hunting shows get are a few questionable EVPs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, freetoroam said:

They did get what looked like a figure on thermal camera>

Ghost Hunters is back for it's final season on Sy Fy (to likely move elsewhere afterwards, hopefully not Destination America)   I think a LOT of stuff on Ghost Adventures is either faked, or more likely exaggerated or misinterpreted. Most of the white orbs they get are (IMO) dust or bugs, although they try to say it isn't. Most of the EVPs are iffy as well, especially their interpretation). Ghost Hunters don't come up with as much stuff because I don't believe they fake stuff and arte pretty discerning about their evidence.

Odd thing is, GA IS entertaining in an odd way, where GH is usually boring. I've investigated a lot over the past 10 years, and GH is pretty much how things go on investigations. But like them or not, Zak and the crew are loud and push their personalities out there, which makes better TV versus the cool calculated approach of GH.  We'll see how the transition to a new network changes up GH

• Like 2

Those hits they got on thermal were clearly added in post-production btw. Just as those 'noises' were clearly sound effects mixed into the final master. As to you believing the integrity of Ghost Hunters, I'm at a loss. There's been numerous videos proving their fraudulent methods. Heck, Grant getting caught 'cheating' evidence is the most likely reason he left the show.