Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yeti theory

tyrant lizard

I saw a pretty good documentary on the yeti the other day. It was presented by Mark Evans, a biologist and he came up with an interesting theory. Essentually he thinks there are two different types of yeti. One is misidentified sightings of various bears that live in the area, and the other is that a race of people co existed with the locals thousands of years ago and they raided and kidnapped members of the local tribes. DNA suggests most of the Tibetians have some blood from these Denisovan people and folk lore passed down through the generations could account for the yeti stories, even though the Denisovans may have died out centuries ago the stories prevail...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jun/01/the-documentary-that-will-prove-the-yeti-exists-almost-certainly

• Like 2

That is an interesting potential explanation.

As good as any other I suppose. The show credited other sources where extinct species were recalled by modern day folk law such as a tribe of raiding pygmies in South America

I watched one where he was looking for a Polar bear hybrid ...... and he said that the Sherpa's description of the Yeti is that of the Asian Brown Bear ..... but that they say there is a wild man that lives there that attacks on sight, about 5 feet tall and covered with hair, but is a human... and they call it the Mogoi ..... he believes that westerners have garbled the translation and integrated the 2 terms into one.... it was interesting, but he did not find a hybrid this trip.   

• Like 1

Evans, a vet turned TV presenter by the way, didn't say he thought there were two types of yeti. He just looked into two possible explanations for the stories. First, was that they might be the result of a type of bear. The second, in his opinion less likely, was whether there might be any evidence for a type of hominid being involved. 

The result was unsurprising. 

By the way, the raiding pygmies in the story were the Ebu gogo, of the island of Flores, in Indonesia. There's been speculation that the hobbits, Homo floresiensis, whose remains were found on Flores. And which were initially, but wrongly, interpreted as being within the last thirteen thousand years or so. May have been the origin of these tales. Even by the late Professor Morwood. Who was in charge of the excavation that first unearthed them. 

More recent dating though, suggests that the newest remains, date from far earlier than this though.

An interesting side note, is that the Flores islander's tradition of how the Ebu gogo were finally wiped out. That they were hoarded into a cave, the entrance of which was then blocked by brush then lit. Is exactly the same as the Vedda people of Sri Lanka, tell of how they got rid of a similar race of small aggressive people they call the Nittaewo.  There's also an almost identical tale from North America. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, oldrover said:

Evans, a vet turned TV presenter by the way, didn't say he thought there were two types of yeti. He just looked into two possible explanations for the stories. First, was that they might be the result of a type of bear. The second, in his opinion less likely, was whether there might be any evidence for a type of hominid being involved. 

And since he came up with these two theories, that would suggest he thought the yeti fell into two distinct groups of misidentification, no? Most actual sightings, and hair evidence, can be attributed to bears. Whilst most anecdotal evidence can be attributed to local legend.  

Edited by tyrant lizard

• 2 weeks later...

Is that the same guy that did those "animal giant autopsies" show? I actually like him, what was the show about the yeti called?

Edited by Dewlanna

Yes, the same guy. He also made some painfully OTT series about mechanical restorations. 

The last programme, purely about the yeti, was called 'Yeti: Myth, Man or Beast'. The earlier series with Bryan Sykes, was called 'Bigfoot Files'. In its three episodes it covered the yeti, bigfoot and lastly the Russian whatever. 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2016 at 7:26 AM, tyrant lizard said:

And since he came up with these two theories, that would suggest he thought the yeti fell into two distinct groups of misidentification, no? Most actual sightings, and hair evidence, can be attributed to bears. Whilst most anecdotal evidence can be attributed to local legend.  

Not quite, he did not come up with the theories, as the article clearly explains: ;

The myth has endured for centuries,

Evans is exactly the man to take these conflicting arguments

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jun/01/the-documentary-that-will-prove-the-yeti-exists-almost-certainly

Just now, freetoroam said:

Not quite, he did not come up with the theories, as the article clearly explains: ;

On 6/23/2016 at 11:29 AM, oldrover said:

Yes, the same guy. He also made some painfully OTT series about mechanical restorations. 

The last programme, purely about the yeti, was called 'Yeti: Myth, Man or Beast'. The earlier series with Bryan Sykes, was called 'Bigfoot Files'. In its three episodes it covered the yeti, bigfoot and lastly the Russian whatever. 

I do usually enjoy these shows.   Kind of a guilty pleasure from my childhood.   Even though I don't believe bigfoot to be real at all, I like the stuff. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I do usually enjoy these shows.   Kind of a guilty pleasure from my childhood.   Even though I don't believe bigfoot to be real at all, I like the stuff. 

Exactly. I love the stuff. Don't believe a word of it though. 

• Like 1

I'd not heard of the Denisovans being linked to the Yeti (or Almas) yet. Very interesting. :tu:

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:32 PM, oldrover said:

Exactly. I love the stuff. Don't believe a word of it though. 

ditto to you both...I enjoy watching these shows..even Finding Bigfoot, though they never find anything definitive. : )

• Like 1

Oh yes, this documentary sounds familiar. Pretty sure I watched it a few days ago when I was just going through the channels to find something interesting to watch. 

As Forever says, I also watched the polar bear hybrid. I got a bit disappointed when he didn't actually find a hybrid because I was kind of getting my hopes up high haha. It was still pretty interesting and I enjoyed watching both of the documentaries. 

On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 8:52 PM, freetoroam said:

Sorry I ment brought them up, not came up with them.

It's clear to me that they're robots built by Tibetan monks at the behest of a disembodied Great Intelligence from outer space.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:34 PM, oldrover said:

An interesting side note, is that the Flores islander's tradition of how the Ebu gogo were finally wiped out. That they were hoarded into a cave, the entrance of which was then blocked by brush then lit. Is exactly the same as the Vedda people of Sri Lanka, tell of how they got rid of a similar race of small aggressive people they call the Nittaewo.  There's also an almost identical tale from North America.

I'm curious as to what small tribe folk tale from North America that you're referring to.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, emberlake said:

Sorry, I should have said 'apparently' there's an almost identical tale. I came across it twice a few weeks ago by chance. But where, I have no idea. 

I believe it was the Crow Indians who mentioned as telling the story, but it doesn't seem to fit with their 'little people' tradition at all. I did find a few references to Crow pygmies or Hobbits, but none were the one I was thinking of.

The Veda version, and the Flores Islanders tales are on pretty good authority. Though of course, when I say that, I don't mean that I believe the stories to be true. Not for a second. Rather that I believe the stories are probably correctly attributed to those two groups of people. The Native American equivalent I couldn't say. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

This article refers to the violent behavior of 'little people' in Crow legends:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_People_of_the_Pryor_Mountains

As with Bigfoot, the Yeti and the Loch Ness Monster, these legends will never die out (I hope they don't!) because the stories are so fascinating to read!

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 3:55 AM, tyrant lizard said:

I saw a pretty good documentary on the yeti the other day. It was presented by Mark Evans, a biologist and he came up with an interesting theory. Essentually he thinks there are two different types of yeti. One is misidentified sightings of various bears that live in the area, and the other is that a race of people co existed with the locals thousands of years ago and they raided and kidnapped members of the local tribes. DNA suggests most of the Tibetians have some blood from these Denisovan people and folk lore passed down through the generations could account for the yeti stories, even though the Denisovans may have died out centuries ago the stories prevail...

A number of DNA samples of supposed Yeti/Sasquatch have been identified genetically.  All American samples have come up as dog, elk, bear, moose, deer or cow.

The Yeti, on the other hand, produced two crosses between Himalayan brown bears and POLAR bears.  There have been no polar bears, at least pure-blooded ones, in the Himalayas for thousands of years, but an inter-specific cross is a possible prototype for the Yeti - they certainly look weird enough.  So, in a manner of speaking, the Yeti is a real animal.

An Alaskan brown bear/polar bear cross was killed by hunters in northern Canada a few years ago.  Who knows:  we might yet turn up an American version of Big Foot.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Doug1o29 said:

A number of DNA samples of supposed Yeti/Sasquatch have been identified genetically.  All American samples have come up as dog, elk, bear, moose, deer or cow.

The Yeti, on the other hand, produced two crosses between Himalayan brown bears and POLAR bears.  There have been no polar bears, at least pure-blooded ones, in the Himalayas for thousands of years, but an inter-specific cross is a possible prototype for the Yeti - they certainly look weird enough.  So, in a manner of speaking, the Yeti is a real animal.

An Alaskan brown bear/polar bear cross was killed by hunters in northern Canada a few years ago.  Who knows:  we might yet turn up an American version of Big Foot.

Doug

The cross bread results didn't stand to further testing though. Sykes has apparently acknowledged this. Under revised study they were found to be typical of the region's known brown bears. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

The cross bread results didn't stand to further testing though. Sykes has apparently acknowledged this. Under revised study they were found to be typical of the region's known brown bears. 

Thanks for the update.  Does this mean I have to give up on Yeti/Sasquatch altogether?

Doug

6 hours ago, oldrover said:

Sorry, I should have said 'apparently' there's an almost identical tale. I came across it twice a few weeks ago by chance. But where, I have no idea. 

I believe it was the Crow Indians who mentioned as telling the story, but it doesn't seem to fit with their 'little people' tradition at all. I did find a few references to Crow pygmies or Hobbits, but none were the one I was thinking of.

The Veda version, and the Flores Islanders tales are on pretty good authority. Though of course, when I say that, I don't mean that I believe the stories to be true. Not for a second. Rather that I believe the stories are probably correctly attributed to those two groups of people. The Native American equivalent I couldn't say. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

@oldrover Thanks for responding.
I too think that the Ebu Gogo and Nittaewo legends are very similar.
There's legends of the Crow and other tribes about little vicious tribes: Nirumbee or Awwakkule. Apparently they avoided contact with them.
According to the info in the link I'll post at the bottom of this reply; Captain Meriwether Lewis mentioned the Nirumbee or Awwakkule in his journal and called them devils with very large headsand they were about 18 inches tall.

I haven't researched the Lewis journal mention, so I don't know if it was mentioned in his journal as him noting them from tribal lore or if he actually saw them. Either way, I think it's interesting.

In my opinion, one does not need to believe in something to discuss the legends and lore of it's existence.
Thanks again for your response.

3 hours ago, simplybill said:

As with Bigfoot, the Yeti and the Loch Ness Monster, these legends will never die out (I hope they don't!) because the stories are so fascinating to read!

@simplybill I agree, I hope the legends live on and on, they're really enjoyable to read.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 2:55 AM, tyrant lizard said:

@tyrant lizard, I apologize for getting off topic of the Yeti.
I'll step out of the thread now.
:)

Edited by emberlake
I had to put the word tall back with it's sentence.
  • Like 1