Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Judges: In costumes and Wigs?

seeder

Does anyone else find it odd.....that high court Judges wear wigs, even today?  Could you argue mental health? I mean here is a Judge, sentencing you for 'whatever'...while dressed in fancy dress....if I walked in a bank dressed like that, I could be suspected of a crime for wearing a disguise

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/399024/Interpreter-s-low-pay-halts-a-trial

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Child of Bast said:

Why mental health?

well why not? what image are they presenting? based on their occupation? why is a wig needed for judgement?  Do any of us wear a wig to judge others? Even on forums? Mental health issues can be subtle... and pervasive.

Judges wear a wig because it's part of the traditional dress code of their profession and has been for centuries.

It's nothing to do with their personal lifestyle choices or mental state.

• Like 4

According to one suggestion, it is a form of disguise, in order to protect them ... 

Why British Lawyers Still Wear Those Wigs in Court

Edited by Otto von Pickelhaube

yea, cultures are just full of 'traditions'...

my culture used to have a tradition of owning other people

thankfully, we realized that tradition was retarded and dropped it.

• Like 1

Maybe it's like a bird fluffing up its feathers to appear larger. The judges are puffing themselves up to look more authoritative. After all hearings, they go into a back room and fight each other for leadership of the pack.

yup,  tradition.   Why do men wear ties? 

• 2 weeks later...

There is some evidence that clothes do maketh the man, so to speak. That dressing in a certain way will put you into a certsin mindset, look at folks who cosplay, they can be anal accountants, but dress them as the fourth Doctor and they're laughing and offering jelly babies to all and sundry.

for judges to dress like that could very well be part of putting them into an unemotive judgmental and pragmatic mindset.