Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Get Out of Jury Duty with Victim's Ghost

Keel M.

Change your mind about being on a jury? Then let the judge know you've had a visit from the victim's ghost and you feel you can no longer be impartial...

ust one day into the multi-week trial on May 5, an unidentified female juror indicated to Justice Glen Poelman she was no longer able to remain impartial in the case.

In a letter she sent to the Court of Queen’s Bench judge, read into the court record by him, the juror explained she couldn’t go on after hearing Crown lawyer Marlo MacGregor outlining the prosecution’s case the previous day.

“I was presented with information the evening of May 4, 2016, which I feel directly impacts my ability to act as a jury member on this case with an unbiased opinion,” the juror said in her note to Poelman.

“I have a gift of being an intuitive and medium, and although I did not believe this gift would impact my ability to provide judgment on this case based solely on the facts presented before me in court … I am wrong,” she said

Full story

I have to agree that if she believes a ghost has told her the nature of the accused (guilty or not guilty), that she shouldn't be on the jury. It's not the truth of whether she's a medium that's the issue. The issue is her ability to remain impartial. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I have to agree that if she believes a ghost has told her the nature of the accused (guilty or not guilty), that she shouldn't be on the jury. It's not the truth of whether she's a medium that's the issue. The issue is her ability to remain impartial. 

Or sane....

51 minutes ago, Totah Dine said:

Or sane....

People believe in lots of things without hard evidence. If we kept them all off the jury, we wouldn't have anyone left. No religious person would be allowed, or probably anyone from this forum, etc. 

• Like 4

dredd-sad.jpg

Give it time. There won't be a need for the court system. Well have the Judges running around killing people.

• Like 2

Just tell them, " Let's get this over with so we can hang the guilty B%$#@, wife's gonna have dinner on by 5 ............." 

• Like 3

They were right to toss her, but should have challenged the specifics of her supposed tête-à-tête with the victim, if only to watch her squirm.

• Like 1

Unless we want to advertise our ignorance, we shouldn't mock what we don't understand or haven't personally experienced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, universal skeptic said:

Unless we want to advertise our ignorance, we shouldn't mock what we don't understand or haven't personally experienced.

Perhaps. But inferences and a quick jump to conclusions might also be a similar type of advertisement, would they not? After all, those of us indulging in a little mockery may very well have a good understanding of mediums. Indeed, we may also have personally experienced a trance or two. Either way, the fact remains that spirit communication has never been proven under controlled scientific conditions. Furthermore, the overall track record of so-called mediums is less than impressive, and given how many have been, and continue to be, exposed as frauds, I have little if any expectation of improvement in that area.

So yeah, if a self-professed medium makes certain claims in an effort to have herself excused from jury duty, I would insist on knowing exactly what she saw so that it could be compared to the actual evidence. Sure, for all we know, she could have indeed experienced what she said she did, but we would not be certain if it was real or a product of an over-active imagination until we put it and her to the test. So,until then, a mocking we will go.

• Like 2

I get "impressions" all the time, even about things I would seemingly have no prior information of. Sometime when I'm meditating I'll even have a "dialog" with an individual who's story I'm familiar with. But truthfully, I chalk it up to just being an observant individual who has lived enough years to have seen a lot things. I often have intuition about what someone has done or what they will do next with very little previous contact. I can also frequently give an accurate accounting of events that occurred in a place at some point in the past. Sadly, I don't attribute my gifts to anything paranormal. I'm just a person who's been around this earth long enough to have identified a lot of patterns that repeat themselves over and over.

I'm not discounting those who may have true paranormal gifts, but I've yet to meet one who claimed they did who wasn't selling something.

My .02

Edited by Calibeliever
typos

Clever.

10 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

People believe in lots of things without hard evidence. If we kept them all off the jury, we wouldn't have anyone left. No religious person would be allowed, or probably anyone from this forum, etc. 

This isn't a religion. 

15 hours ago, Forever Cursed said:

Just tell them, " Let's get this over with so we can hang the guilty B%$#@, wife's gonna have dinner on by 5 ............." 

One person did something similar locally so they kept brining him back each week for a new jury until he served.

I thought my nervous stomach acting was good the last time I got called.  By the time the attorneys got to me, neither wanted me, so I was excused. Being clairvoyant is much better. With my luck I would have been taken for a psych evaluation.

It's somewhat unsurprising he agreed; but no doubt it will be misrepresented as validation of a particular belief by a legal authority. Concerning also what precident this may set.

Surely the simplest way to dodge Jury Duty is to turn up with a none stop cough.

Or scratch a lot and keep mumbling something about crabs ...............:wacko:

• Like 1

Actually, that was one of three things that got me excused. I am prone to sinus headaches, sometimes they can be quite painful. I had one the day I reported for jury duty, and I did hesitate in taking what I need to help with my headaches. Of course, that will leave me all loopy and such, so I don't think they would want me anyways. Plus with that in mind, total biased and an uncomfortableness of the case in mind, ( which was one of the things that we were told that would excuse us ) added into it. 

Aw, heck, I knew I was not going to stick around after the first of the three reasons came into existence. I recognized two of the witnesses names, when they were spoken from a list. 

With that in mind, I sometimes wonder, if someone is really feeling that, or faking. I think that should be taken into thought. 

But, if we look at it another way, don't we still swear on a bible in court? If that is 'suppose' ;) to keep us from lying in court, than I guess a visit from the decease will get you a bit biased. :w00t: 

On 6/14/2016 at 4:22 PM, XenoFish said:

dredd-sad.jpg

Give it time. There won't be a need for the court system. Well have the Judges running around killing people.

Its already started: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

On 6/14/2016 at 11:10 PM, Totah Dine said:

This isn't a religion. 

I'm not sure what difference that makes. It's people believing in things without hard evidence. And outrageous things, like an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do (miss you, George Carlin). Folks have claimed to see Jesus, Mary, etc. Have all sorts of visions, experiences. If she claimed Jesus visited her and told her the accused was guilty, would she be sane then?

A person can believe anything, religiously. Just like some people believe there are angels who can visit or protect them, this lady believes there are spirits. For all you know, it could be a part of her religion. There is something called spiritism/spiritualism. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:35 AM, ChaosRose said:

Folks have claimed to see Jesus, Mary, etc. Have all sorts of visions, experiences. If she claimed Jesus visited her and told her the accused was guilty, would she be sane then?

Now how do they know ?  Are they just assuming that they are who they think they are , or is it like bugles blaring and a big announcement before they make an appearance ?  I feel kind of cheated on the whole story now ..  

The last time I got called to jury duty, I just politely asked to be excused because it was during my University exam period and I didn't want to miss any studying time (which was all 100% true). I was let off within 12 hours.

On 6/20/2016 at 10:25 AM, Forever Cursed said:

Now how do they know ?  Are they just assuming that they are who they think they are , or is it like bugles blaring and a big announcement before they make an appearance ?  I feel kind of cheated on the whole story now ..  

I have to imagine that would be on a case by case basis. I wouldn't be surprised if some people heard trumpets (which brings Red State to mind).

• 2 weeks later...

I was ejected from jury duty by simply stating my occupation when asked.  I'm an IT Consultant by trade.  I'm guessing the lawyers believed they couldn't convince a person in such a logical vocation.  Can't twist/spin those facts when they are in fact, not facts, or the least bit logical...

Edited by SgtTechHead
  • Like 1