Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Psychology of God and mysticism

Duke Wellington

On 6/15/2016 at 3:59 PM, RabidMongoose said:

From the perspective of God I cannot understand why he would create us just for the sake of it. It must be to satisfy needs that God has otherwise what's the point?

What make you think that humans can understand all the intentions of a God (if God exists). Are't we gods if we can?

Edited by Hawkins

Maybe there really is no underlining intention to all of this, no point, no purpose. There might not be a divine plan at all or any plan to speak of. It's all just chaos and our little minds want to make sense of it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hawkins said:

What make you think that humans can understand all the intentions of a God (if God exists). Are't we gods if we can?

3584586-tumblr_m76gm67w6u1rz9h7jo1_500.j

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Maybe there really is no underlining intention to all of this, no point, no purpose. There might not be a divine plan at all or any plan to speak of. It's all just chaos and our little minds want to make sense of it.

It boils down to what good does it do to believe so. 

We choose to believe something potentially may affect our lives in order to make our escape. This on the other hand, gives a good reason to believe.

That's all it is, escapism. A fantasy to help deaden the dull monotony of life. Any illusion will do. It's why people believe in god, magick, or that they are some otherkin. It's that desire to feel special, to think your life has meaning and that something has your best interest in mind. But there is nothing. 

your-belief-in-god-is-merely-an-escape-f

Why do we need to believe in some higher power to escape ourselves, our "monotonous, stupid and cruel life"? And when we do give ourselves to some higher power, are we actually fundamentally changed or do we just go through the motions?

Krishnamurti also said, "You must die to yourself". Rebirth is not following some externally imposed dogma. Rebirth is from within and is unique to each individual. An honest exploration of our deepest selves. When we follow the leader we become lock-stepping automatons. This is the psychology of Gods and of religions.

I suppose both are psychological states of mind, and, being lazy humans, we usually choose the easiest way. Or choose no way at all, we just muddle on and hope for the best. And sometimes we even become depressed about it, and throw it all into the dust bin as a pointless errand.

I wonder the Gods have not chosen this last option. 

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Then it comes down to whatever fantasy that helps you make it through the day. 

I think it's not fantasy when we come to an deep understanding of ourselves, of our own psychological self. When we become free of our influential experiences.

4 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

I think it's not fantasy when we come to an deep understanding of ourselves, of our own psychological self. When we become free of our influential experiences.

There is no freedom, it's just a different kind of mental slavery. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Sounds like what Meister Eckhart had to say about the need to disable the influence on us, of all the accumulated accidental happenings of life. We all know people who never really "get over" a bad marriage or an unhappy childhood.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I think there is psychological freedom. Your post is like a man who has lived his life in a prison, denying there is a world outside because he has never experienced it.

• Like 1

Just now, StarMountainKid said:

I think there is psychological freedom. Your post is like a man who has lived his life in a prison, denying there is a world outside because he has never experienced it.

Or as a man who has experienced the world and realizes that it's a prison.

Just now, XenoFish said:

Or as a man who has experienced the world and realizes that it's a prison.

In what way is it a prison to you?

2 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

In what way is it a prison to you?

How is it not? I've learned that people are always motivated by selfish desires and no one really cares. That no matter how hard you strive that someone will always kick you down. And that it only take one person to destroy another's life. That no matter how 'righteous' you are there is no god that cares. Life is really a futile and pointless things. We are nothing but microbes clinging to a mud ball in a radioactive sea of death. A mistake of nature. We create our gods in order to make ourselves feel important. There are no kings or rulers in this world, those who claim such title exist because we want them to, because we have this unconscious desire to be slaves. All our efforts and discoveries will mean nothing once we are extinct and our world is nothing more than an empty rock floating through the void. 

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

How is it not? I've learned that people are always motivated by selfish desires and no one really cares. That no matter how hard you strive that someone will always kick you down. And that it only take one person to destroy another's life. That no matter how 'righteous' you are there is no god that cares. Life is really a futile and pointless things. We are nothing but microbes clinging to a mud ball in a radioactive sea of death. A mistake of nature. We create our gods in order to make ourselves feel important. There are no kings or rulers in this world, those who claim such title exist because we want them to, because we have this unconscious desire to be slaves. All our efforts and discoveries will mean nothing once we are extinct and our world is nothing more than an empty rock floating through the void. 

Nihilism seems to be your thing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's a lot more than mental.

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

It's the only truth underneath the comfortable lies we tell ourselves.

Just now, Habitat said:

Is that why I keep seeing Christians with skulls, flames and death tattooed on them?

• Like 1

Those of faith always look with glee to the end of times. To the death and destruction of the world. They look to it with hope. Quite nihilistic to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

There is truth in what you say. The question is, do we live for all this or do we live for ourselves? In other words, can we accept the world as it is and still retain a healthy and sane mind? If we live in a mental institution with nothing but crazies around us, I think it behooves us to remain sane, sanity being not giving in, trying not to become just another crazy.

Just now, StarMountainKid said:

There is truth in what you say. The question is, do we live for all this or do we live for ourselves? In other words, can we accept the world as it is and still retain a healthy and sane mind? If we live in a mental institution with nothing but crazies around us, I think it behooves us to remain sane, sanity being not giving in, trying not to become just another crazy.

There is not a sane person on this planet. People just tell themselves that they've got it all together. 

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

There is not a sane person on this planet. People just tell themselves that they've got it all together. 

Then you are not sane either? You are just telling yourself you've got it all together?

Krishnamurti also said something like, "Being well-adjusted to a sick society is not sanity." I think being ill-adjusted to a sick society is not sanity either. Sanity is seeing clearly the state of the world and having a rational response to it. Also, seeing clearly the state of ourselves and having a rational response to it.

What would a rational response be?

11 minutes ago, StarMountainKid said:

Then you are not sane either? You are just telling yourself you've got it all together?

Never said I was sane nor did I ever claim I had it all together. But I'm smart enough to not believe in fairy tales.

Just now, XenoFish said:

Never said I was sane nor did I ever claim I had it all together. But I'm smart enough to not believe in fairy tales.

By your posts you seem to have it all together in your outlook. What I mean is, it seems you've already made up your mind on the world and on yourself. Is there no room in your attitude for stepping out of the doom and gloom into some healthier psychological state of mind that is not dependent on fairy tales? 

1 minute ago, StarMountainKid said:

By your posts you seem to have it all together in your outlook. What I mean is, it seems you've already made up your mind on the world and on yourself. Is there no room in your attitude for stepping out of the doom and gloom into some healthier psychological state of mind that is not dependent on fairy tales? 

Doubt it. I'm just waiting for the nature entropy to really kick in and do it's job. Might take a few years.