Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Volcanic Lightning Mystery Solved

Anomalocaris

We Finally Know What Causes Volcanic Lightning

Volcanic lightning is one of nature’s most epic displays, but what exactly causes the phenomenon is a longstanding mystery. Now, by studying high-speed footage of electrified volcanic outbursts at Mount Sakurajima, scientists have arrived at an answer—and it points to a new method for predicting powerful eruptions.

Read more at Gizmodo

Interesting information but I didn't think this was unknown. It's always seemed obvious to me that a fast rising column of air mixed with particles would cause static electricity much the same way an accumulating cloud does as it builds.

1 hour ago, Calibeliever said:

Interesting information but I didn't think this was unknown. It's always seemed obvious to me that a fast rising column of air mixed with particles would cause static electricity much the same way an accumulating cloud does as it builds.

Should've written a paper on it then!

Can we stop it by presenting gifts to the volcano?

1 hour ago, BeastieRunner said:

Should've written a paper on it then!

LOL - not my field, I don't think it would have gotten much traction :) . Seriously though, it's just common sense isn't it?

1 hour ago, TripGun said:

Can we stop it by presenting gifts to the volcano?

Only if it were ISIS. Then again, it might have such a belly-ache from even one ISIS member that it might refuse more "gifts"

• Like 1

Yeah i agree it wasnt a mystery the collision of all the particles in the volcanic ash clouds create electricity...

Hephaestus (Vulcan) – Greek God of Fire and Volcanoes has spoken and shown his power !