Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
UM-Bot

Animals in mirrors

5 posts in this topic

A look what happens when different animals encounter their own reflections.

5 people like this

Notice how the elephant figured it out right away. My dog (Australian Shepherd) figured out the mirror very quickly too (and he was just a puppy). I think the 'experts' have applied an incorrect criteria for animal intelligence for some time now.

2 people like this

I think I loved the monkeys best. @Lilly Ringo is a very smart puppy :wub:

1 person likes this

This reminded me of a Zoo I once went to years and years ago. There was a fenced off enclosed area and the plaque read "Rare North American Monkey".  When you got up close enough to peer inside you were faced with a large mirror displaying your own reflection. :lol:

1 person likes this

The video was interesting, so I read up a little on it. It's a behavioral test to determine an animal's ability at self-recognition. Apparently, the only animals to have passed the test are dolphins, orcas, great apes, European magpies, and a single Asiatic elephant. Dogs, giant pandas, sea lions and some monkey species failed. But the test is controversial and not everyone thinks it's a true indicator. In the case of the monkeys studied, for example, some members of the same species recognized themselves, others didn't.

Here's a pup that clearly got an F...

WsW2kYH.gif