Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

City street runes

Opus Magnus

Been noticing, ever since I learned about the Futhark alphabet, that the cities use this alphabet to mark the electric, water, communication, demolation and other lines on the city streets.  They spray paint it on with bright flourescent spray paint.  I've seen them all over the city streets in Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin.  I'm sure it's probably nation wide.  However, upon searching it on google, the only page that comes up is one from about 2006.  I'm surprised there's only 1 page online for it, because it's pretty weird as Futhark is really popular used for divination and sorcery.

I'd put pictures on if I had a camera, I might later, but I'm sure other people in the USA has seen it, it's all over the city streets.  Google Futhark, and you'll find links to the entire alphabet, if you don't know what it is.  It's the old alphabet of Sweden, Germany and the Anglo-Saxons.

Most commonly they use the tiwaz letter, and ingwaz, and most frequently eihwaz, which is half the swastika.  I've found them making swastikas sometimes, but they leave one point off, I guess for public concern.  I've found some rare runes, I've found one Ansuz, some laguzes.  Different states use different runes and styles.  The ones in Chicago are heavy on dagaz with a tiwaz, or laguz through it.  They're style is like, fast, and almost violent.  It really looks like a sword or spear in it in Chicago.  They don't really use dagaz in Michigan.  Anyway talk about what you think, or what you've found.

I think it's a conspiracy, as they say nothing about it to anyone, like a secret, no websites, and the Nazi connection.

• Like 1

I've never seen anything on the streets or sidewalks here in New Orleans that even remotely resembles any part of the runic alphabet.

Well, I looked over those two articles, Oniomancer, and they do not show all the letters, or runes, they use.  I know they use them not to hit lines and mark the pavement, that's what I said in the original post.  However, in the article they do show 2 of the letters in futhark they use, the ingwaz (the diamond shaped one) and tiwaz (the arrow), but they don't show half the other futhark letters, or runes, they use on the pavement.  They obviously are using Futhark, and not something similar, because of the letters they use.  For example, one of the most popular is the merkstave eihwaz letter they use, or rune.  I don't think there's letters in any other alphabet that looks exactly like it, and they use so many of the Futhark letters, it's obvious they're using Futhark, and it's not a diamond or arrow, but the letters ingwaz and tiwaz.  They fail to talk about those in the articles, it's like a secret they keep.

Anyway, I've never been to New Orleans, so I don't know about there, but I've seen them in about 8 cities I've been to in the states I told about.  Some cities use them less, and they use them more in some parts of the cities than others, obviously..  The city I've seen them the most in was Lansing, Michigan though, and it's crazy in some parts.  There's some sewer grates where they put like 40 or so eihwaz runes around it in a circle, for one sewer grate.  It looks like an explosion of eihwaz runes, like something important must be down there, but just seems overly rediculous to put 40 runes around it like that, taking up like 10 meters in diameter.  There were a few of those.  Also, you can find a few swastikas, but with one point taken off it and curved.  Eihwaz is half the swastika, a swastika is two eihwaz runes crossed over each other horizontally and vertical.

Another thing, is that all of the runes they use are merkstave.  Merkstave is when the rune is upside down, or mirrored image.  They usually use the mirror image.  Merkstave is the negative form of the rune, and mirrored is more negative, and like backwards.  That is another reason what they're doing seems sinister..  Like a defamation of the natural way of life.

• Like 1

You're gonna need to show specific examples if you want people to talk about this. 

I'm agreeing with Oniom and CoB, these are just standard utilities markings - unless you're willing to show us any different?

Also - please bear in mind that things like arrows are hardly unique to runic symbols.

• Like 3

This is the only website I found, which is weird.  http://gothamist.com/2006/05/28/please_explain_7.php

In the lower left corner you can see the Eihwaz rune, it looks kind of like a Z.  That is the most common ones to find.  Then the tiwaz double rune is pretty common, and I know that looks common to most ideas, but I've seen many of the letters only associated with Futhark.  They use specifically the Futhark, and of course some english and a lot of symbols and combinations that look pecularly like the symbols for uranus and neptune, which makes sense for communication lines, or electricity. 

The picture isn't a great example, as it doesn't show a great variety of the letters, but that one is in new york.  So, I know they use the Futhark in New York, Michigan, Illonois, and Wisconsin, So it at least seems to be the Northern States.

Edited by Opus Magnus
Btw, the normal Eihwaz looks like a backwards Z, but all the Futhark they write in is merkstave and backwards, so they draw it as the backwards Eihwaz, looking like a forward Z
  • Like 1

And, By the way, I think it is really stupid that the people disagreeing here are all from Great Britain.  I'm talking about this happening in America, and you have no idea what's going on here, you're being trolls.  Unless you've been in America to have seen it, just leave the thread.

I know this is happening, I've seen it all over, and know other people that know, and anyone that knows the language and lives in the city has seen it and knows.  It's obvious, out in the open and happening.  You can see it everyday, it's not a UFO that disapears, it stays there in permanent spray paint in all these cities.  It's not going anywhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Opus Magnus said:

This is the only website I found, which is weird.  http://gothamist.com/2006/05/28/please_explain_7.php

In the lower left corner you can see the Eihwaz rune, it looks kind of like a Z.  That is the most common ones to find.  Then the tiwaz double rune is pretty common, and I know that looks common to most ideas, but I've seen many of the letters only associated with Futhark.  They use specifically the Futhark, and of course some english and a lot of symbols and combinations that look pecularly like the symbols for uranus and neptune, which makes sense for communication lines, or electricity. 

The picture isn't a great example, as it doesn't show a great variety of the letters, but that one is in new york.  So, I know they use the Futhark in New York, Michigan, Illonois, and Wisconsin, So it at least seems to be the Northern States.

Those aren't runes. Those are utilities markings. The same as you get in the UK. Its so when work is done on the road, they know what utilities are laid where.

47 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

And, By the way, I think it is really stupid that the people disagreeing here are all from Great Britain.  I'm talking about this happening in America, and you have no idea what's going on here, you're being trolls.  Unless you've been in America to have seen it, just leave the thread.

They're not disagreeing, they're saying what it probably is, which is all anyone from anywhere can do until they've seen any pictures. Don't tell people to "leave the thread", this is a public forum.

Edit - in fact, the website you posted answers your questions in the comments:

Although not always a rule, typically red markings indicate underground electric, orange = communications, yellow = gas, blue = water, white = misc.

The local utilities are required to mark the street up before any kind of excavation takes place.

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Opus Magnus said:

I know this is happening, I've seen it all over, and know other people that know, and anyone that knows the language and lives in the city has seen it and knows.  It's obvious, out in the open and happening.  You can see it everyday, it's not a UFO that disapears, it stays there in permanent spray paint in all these cities.  It's not going anywhere.

Um, nooooo, I'm from New York State.  I just couldn't find any US refs like the first one I linked. The second guideline PDF is US based though. But then I myself somehow read past the fact you already knew they were for marking utilities.

There's usually a good historical reason for most modern graphic design like this. You'll notice also all the "tiwaz" marks happen to point in the direction of the line they're indicating.

Chaotes often leave sigils. L/S (Ellis) is a popular one that you might see around. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBV60v89132UGvUDyHi6H

I guess you could call it an actual conspiracy...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQ7-fwq7rNAhVJMyYKHZMcDNwQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdisinfo.com%2F2013%2F07%2Fdkmus-assault-on-reality-and-the-ellis-sigil%2F&usg=AFQjCNHhEyzJUYclXW4UIJL1nCGovbcZOQ

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

Emma Acid, and Oniomancer, just leave.  I told you, they do use the runes, I've seen half the futhark on the streets.  It's the city workers drawing them, and YES THEY DO USE them to mark the utililty lines, but they ARE using futhark.  The website doesn't answer it, they don't say it in the PDFs, and the city does not admit it anywhere online in those things about the Futhark they are using, and they are using futhark.  I told you, they use way more than tiwaz.  They use half the runes IT IS Futhark they are using, and they do use bindrunes a lot and swastikas. 

Most people just don't know the Futhark alphabet here, so they don't know what the symbols are.  It is a conspiracy, and it's kept mostly in the darkness, but it's right out in the light, anyone in these cities comes across these runes on the floor sometimes.  I just don't understand why online, after a decade or more of it, why nobody except one person besides me has mentioned it.

Without pictures, this is useless.  I'm intrigued by the idea, but the pictures in the one link you provided are almost all utility locations.  Locators do use a shorthand to describe what the utilities are doing underground, because the excavators are rarely there at the same time.   I work as a communications technician and have seen tons of this.

The bright florescent colors are just so it can be clearly seen.  Orange is communications (phone, fiber, cable)  Red is always power. Water is blue, sewage green and gaslines are yellow.  There's other colors too.  

And then there are shorthand the street people use to describe curbs/grades/etc.

Edited by supervike

It's not useless, they're on the ground right now.  I'm sure they're in pretty much every city in the USA, so it's not useless.  People just don't know the futhark langauge, so they don't know what it is.  I know they use shorthand, but what I'm telling you again, is that half of it is written in Futhark.  Some cities use it more than others, it seems, or maybe I just haven't found the places where they're doing that kind of work or whatever.  Also, different cities use different runes..  Chicago is the only place I've seen them use the dagaz rune, and they bind it with a tiwaz or laguz through the midsection.  It's not hard to spot.

It's useless, because we have to take your word for it.  Without seeing the actual 'runes', I'm going to have to say they are most likely utility/construction marks.

Can't you use Google Street view to find some of these more esoteric ones, then post them here?  Other than than, borrow a camera and take a picture, so we can discuss it.

• Like 2

A few years back I was noticing these fairly large circled X's being put in the middle of roads all over town, sure signs of where the 'bombs' would someday be aimed. :lol: 

I never see them anymore, road resurfacing eventually covered them up and they never returned, leaving me to suspect the markings were, in addition to maps, an aid for positively identifying roads to be resurfaced.

OP, I'll start looking around my area for anything out of the ordinary and report if I find something...

I have seen similar symbols in Los Angeles... that being said, I doubt a bunch of construction workers are plotting the demise of L.A. , the locals can do it on their own. 

• Like 2

So your asking why the Futhark alphabet is used to mark utilities? If I had to guess I'd say its because the person or persons who originally came up with a system of marking out underground utilities were at least somewhat familiar with this alphabet and realized that it fit the problem at hand since the symbols are easily recognizable and weren't commonly use else where in the US.

1 hour ago, AmbiguousInsight said:

I have seen similar symbols in Los Angeles... that being said, I doubt a bunch of construction workers are plotting the demise of L.A. , the locals can do it on their own. 

One street at a time. Lol. 

2 hours ago, Opus Magnus said:

It's not useless, they're on the ground right now.  I'm sure they're in pretty much every city in the USA, so it's not useless.  People just don't know the futhark langauge, so they don't know what it is.  I know they use shorthand, but what I'm telling you again, is that half of it is written in Futhark.  Some cities use it more than others, it seems, or maybe I just haven't found the places where they're doing that kind of work or whatever.  Also, different cities use different runes..  Chicago is the only place I've seen them use the dagaz rune, and they bind it with a tiwaz or laguz through the midsection.  It's not hard to spot.

Opus...they're just using DigAlert. The arrows just look like Futhark to you. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQ--qPl7zNAhUTHlIKHV8RC9wQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.digalert.org%2Fpremark.html&usg=AFQjCNEIbwDQXtC3cC-7nJ-9ln9jb7MtLQ&bvm=bv.125221236,d.aXo

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RadFox said:

So your asking why the Futhark alphabet is used to mark utilities? If I had to guess I'd say its because the person or persons who originally came up with a system of marking out underground utilities were at least somewhat familiar with this alphabet and realized that it fit the problem at hand since the symbols are easily recognizable and weren't commonly use else where in the US.

I doubt they would even know that the markings were similar to Futhark. Arrows are just arrows to most people. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I'm not talking about the arrows, I'm talking about different runes.  I  named a bunch of different ones that aren't confused with things like arrows, but are unique.

I said it was Dagaz, with a tiwaz or laguz through the middle of it, bisecting it at the part where the points collide  |>T<| or |>L<|

but, I think, if I remember right, there is also a sowillo on the tiwaz and laguzes, on some of them, but not all, a sowillo, making a really cool looking bind rune.  Also, the bindrune would be the letters STD, or sexually transmitted disease (that's what I thought the acronym could stand for).

The way they draw them there is a different style than in the smaller cities.  In the giant cities, it seems like they draw them long and in like slashes, or more sharp and faster looking.

In the smaller cities they usually look more broad and plain.  It's a big difference to how the artist draws them, if that's what you want to call it.

I'm not from Great Britain, though I wish I was. I live in Soul Destroying Hot New Orleans. And as has been pointed out, the use of an arrow and a diamond are so common that it's irrelevant.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

I said it was Dagaz, with a tiwaz or laguz through the middle of it, bisecting it at the part where the points collide  |>T<| or |>L<|

but, I think, if I remember right, there is also a sowillo on the tiwaz and laguzes, on some of them, but not all, a sowillo, making a really cool looking bind rune.  Also, the bindrune would be the letters STD, or sexually transmitted disease (that's what I thought the acronym could stand for).

The way they draw them there is a different style than in the smaller cities.  In the giant cities, it seems like they draw them long and in like slashes, or more sharp and faster looking.

In the smaller cities they usually look more broad and plain.  It's a big difference to how the artist draws them, if that's what you want to call it.

No offense, but...I think you just have Futhark (and maybe STDs) on the brain. It's why you're seeing them in typical street construction symbols. 

There's no conspiracy by construction workers to write Futhark runes all over the place. That's just silly.

There is a small, but actual conspiracy by Chaotes and Discordians to write sigils...but they're so few and far between that I doubt you'd ever encounter one. And if you did...all it's supposed to do is attempt to hack reality and make it more interesting. 

And why do you make a connection to Nazis? 

There are people who actually do use Futhark runes for divination purposes, and that hardly makes them Nazis. These people are hardly exceedingly numerous so as to be on the construction teams in every major city. 

Edited by ChaosRose