Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Google Chrome drains laptop battery faster

Still Waters

Microsoft’s lab tests measured power consumption by four browsers: Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera. In one test, the four browsers had to stream video. Google Chrome lasted just four hours and twenty minutes, while the device running Microsoft Edge lasted a touch more than seven hours and twenty minutes.

In the other test, the browsers were put through an automated cycle of opening sites, scrolling through articles, watching videos, and opening new tabs. Once again, Microsoft’s tests showed that Chrome, Opera, and Firefox use more battery power than Edge.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/technow/tech/microsoft-shows-how-big-a-battery-drain-chrome-is-405935.html

My laptop is always plugged in because the screen is too dim for me otherwise.

• Like 2

Edge is a trimmed down browser, not quite ready yet with much less features than Chrome or Firefox. So, I'm not surprised.

Give it some time and Edge will become as bloated as the others.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

I would trust this test more if it was performed by an  impartial third party.......definitely not by Microsoft.

• Like 1

Benchmarks don't lie, but liars make benchmarks

At home I have used Chrome for a long time....it's better than others I have tried.

Quite honestly - whether I'm plugged in or on battery...it really doesn't matter.

I certainly wont be losing any sleep over which browser has longer battery staying power :P

PC World ran their own tests and the results were not  quite as dramatic as Microsoft would like us to believe  http://www.pcworld.com/article/3087338/browsers/which-browser-is-best-on-battery-we-test-edge-vs-chrome-vs-opera-vs-firefox.html

The results

This is a lot of lead up to something that’s a little anticlimactic. My testing with a “light” browser load shows that Microsoft makes the most power-efficient browser, and the most power-inefficient one. 

Yes, Microsoft’s Edge 13.1 browser was clearly the winner here. I hit 385 minutes with the Edge browser, which is almost an hour more than Internet Explorer 11 lasted in browsing. 

Google’s much-maligned Chrome (which has a reputation for being a power hog) pulled into second place with about half an hour less battery life than Edge. Firefox was just about as bad as Internet Explorer, and Opera was on par with Chrome.