Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia wants to make StarTrek-style teleport

seeder

Beam me up Chekov! Russia wants to make Star Trek-style teleportation a reality within 20 years

The federal government could develop the sci-fi technology by 2035
    Project is listed under a 2.1 trillion (£1.4 tn) roadmap for new technologies
    Russia aims to use the project as a launch pad to develop high-tech solutions to drive its economy in the next 20 years

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3655882/Beam-Chekov-Russia-aims-make-teleportation-reality-20-years.html#ixzz4COWxfltp

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Taun said:

I sure would not want to be the first person to try that!....

After some shots of vodka, and please ignore the duct tape holding everything together.  What?  You don't trust duct tape?  It's helps us get into to orbit all of the time!  It keeps our Migs flying!  Capitalist pig, just step into the booth...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

After some shots of vodka, and please ignore the duct tape holding everything together.  What?  You don't trust duct tape?  It's helps us get into to orbit all of the time!  It keeps our Migs flying!  Capitalist pig, just step into the booth...

Is important to remember... Duct Tape first inwented in Russia, back in 1872, by leetle old lady in Smolyensk, who work in traktor factory...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Taun said:

As with a lot of things, it will be tested on anything BUT humans to start with..... maybe just living cells, like plants - and then animals...

If it becomes real....its a total game changer.. a total WOW....

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, seeder said:

As with a lot of things, it will be tested on anything BUT humans to start with..... maybe just living cells, like plants - and then animals...

Undoubtedly true... BUT (of course there is a but)... What if a person comes out physically the same... but with no "mind" - or altered into who knows what...?... There will always be some manner of risk with tech like this...

Let Mr Putin be the first one, and send his molycules i n 3 different directions....plz...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taun said:

3 hours ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

2 hours ago, seeder said:

Meanwhile, a prominent Russian scientist convinced our trio of heroes that they will be embarking on a scientific discovery that will change the future of mankind forever...after much contemplating and after many discussions with their fellow colleagues....the trio set fourth to make history...only to never be heard from again...but wait, what is that in the distance!?!...

• Like 2

Aside from the few atoms and/or photons they have managed to transport to date, this is probably largely theoretical. One discussion of teleportation suggested that the original item (rock, book, human) to be copied is destroyed in the process and what is recreated is a copy of sorts. As someone mentioned, would a human thus teleported have a blank mind? The cells, neurons and synapses might all be there in proper working order, but not the memories, the emotions and so forth. It would be like copying hardware with no software. Those qualities are intangible and unless there is some kind of "quantum entanglement" between the brains of the old and new copies the process would be useless for humans. Probable you would have to send a well trained dog or chimpanzee through and see if it still understood commands, or carried out tasks previously known to it. If not I don't think there will be many human volunteers, except for those who what their past totally erased and a new start. 

Of course there is always what happen to Jeff Goldblum, buzz, buzz......

I'm calling bullsheet.

Nothing has ever been "teleported."

Uncontrollably random information has been sent using entanglement.

Nothing other than the info ever "left" the area.

If you build a "transporter" that way, all you are doing is building a copy at the other end. If you could do that, all you would need is the info and the copier - it wouldn't have to be "sent" to you through entanglement. You can carry it with you.

Harte

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Harte said:

I'm calling bullsheet.

Nothing has ever been "teleported."

Uncontrollably random information has been sent using entanglement.

Nothing other than the info ever "left" the area.

If you build a "transporter" that way, all you are doing is building a copy at the other end. If you could do that, all you would need is the info and the copier - it wouldn't have to be "sent" to you through entanglement. You can carry it with you.

Harte

Way to inject some realism into our make-fun-of-Russia thread. :)

• Like 2

Atoms have been transported.....

from 2004

Teleportation breakthrough made

Scientists have performed successful teleportation on atoms for the first time, the journal Nature reports.

The feat was achieved by two teams of researchers working independently on the problem in the US and Austria.

The ability to transfer key properties of one particle to another without using any physical link has until now only been achieved with laser light.

Experts say being able to do the same with massive particles like atoms could lead to new superfast computers.

This development is a long way from the transporters used by Jean-Luc Picard and Captain Kirk in the famous Star Trek TV series.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3811785.stm

7 minutes ago, seeder said:

Atoms have been transported.....

from 2004

Read your own quote:

" key properties of one particle to another "

Harte

7 minutes ago, Harte said:

Read your own quote:

" key properties of one particle to another "

Harte

Indeed, I also pointed out that was from 2004....and am aware of the immense difficulties involved in this become real...with living complex bodies

Edited by seeder

And when it does, and you step into the transporter, when it's over, you'll still be here, just like those atoms.

Harte

31 minutes ago, Harte said:

And when it does, and you step into the transporter, when it's over, you'll still be here, just like those atoms.

Harte

Perhaps it will work like the teleporter in The Prestige.

Don't know about that one. Never saw it.

Harte

And all we get for our tax dollars are self-destructing drones. 

• Like 1

Lets look at this simply. You want to send a 10 x 10cm piece of aluminium sheet across the country. The machine will magically reduce this sheet to its molecular level and rebuild it on the other side with all the molecules that make aluminium what it is. Yeah I call BS too. Fun to think about but will never be achieved

I'd think the Russians would have LOTS of better things to spend money on. But, that's up to them, I guess.

I think they'll never get teleportation working on a macro (multi-cell/object) level. There is just too much that needs to be collected and then reordered to make it worth the resources/computer power needed.

Also, I agree with Harte in that work so far has basically been copying an atom onto another atom, at range, not actually transporting the atom.

Edited by DieChecker

In the words of "Bones" McCoy  "Oh, joy!"

Still need a medium like a "cable" to transfer information. Energy don't just disappear in a fraction of second then appear somewhere.

16 hours ago, Gecks said:

Lets look at this simply. You want to send a 10 x 10cm piece of aluminium sheet across the country. The machine will magically reduce this sheet to its molecular level and rebuild it on the other side with all the molecules that make aluminium what it is. Yeah I call BS too. Fun to think about but will never be achieved

Or, you do that once, while recording the information, and replicate the piece of aluminum wherever you want to go.

That's exactly the same thing, and I don't see how people or the media can call that "teleportation."

Harte

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FlyingAngel said:

Still need a medium like a "cable" to transfer information. Energy don't just disappear in a fraction of second then appear somewhere.

Perhaps you have never used a wifi device then, or bluetooth? or a mobile phone?  All transmit info/images/video without a cable...

9 hours ago, Harte said:

Or, you do that once, while recording the information, and replicate the piece of aluminum wherever you want to go.

That's exactly the same thing, and I don't see how people or the media can call that "teleportation."

Harte

How is what has been done any different then using a laser to finely record the parameters of an object, and then using a rapid prototyping machine somewhere else to make a copy?

Not teleportation, but tele-manufacturing??

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1