Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SETI Eavesdrops on Nearby Star

Anomalocaris

SETI Eavesdrops on Nearby Star in Smart Alien Hunt

Using the Allen Telescope Array (ATA) located in California (pictured top), members of the SETI Institute chose Trappist 1 as they know the red dwarf-type star plays host to at least 3 exoplanets. Traditional SETI searches have looked to random stars in the sky in the hope of detecting an artificial radio signal using luck and some educated guesses. But now we know certain stars play host to exoplanets, alien hunters can be a little more discerning with the selection of stellar targets.

arrow3.gif Read more on Seeker

Why are they still wrapped up in the idea that aliens would transmit radio signals? Absurd and pointless way to search! Whos to assume they would even have ears?

On 6/23/2016 at 7:16 PM, Nnicolette said:

Why are they still wrapped up in the idea that aliens would transmit radio signals? Absurd and pointless way to search! Whos to assume they would even have ears?

Radar is pretty useful and could be expected to be used regardless of alien physiology. It's also high powered and directional, so (relatively) easy to detect. The signals radar systems put out have distinctive characteristics, making it possible to identify them as what they are. The downside of looking for them is that there are a huge number of radars operating here on Earth, and false positives would be a problem.

On 6/23/2016 at 4:16 PM, Nnicolette said:

Because it is the best way we have to detect ET, if ET is out there. If ET is traversing space, they essentially have to use RADAR.

Cheers,
Badeskov

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

Radar is pretty useful and could be expected to be used regardless of alien physiology. It's also high powered and directional, so (relatively) easy to detect. The signals radar systems put out have distinctive characteristics, making it possible to identify them as what they are. The downside of looking for them is that there are a huge number of radars operating here on Earth, and false positives would be a problem.

Actually, RADAR does not need to be high powered and it is not necessarily so easy to detect. Especially if we are talking military RADARs, which on Earth have that useful, albeit for ET probably really annoying, feature that they do frequency hopping.

Cheers,
Badeskov 

As Ive said a zillion times on the forum.....a planet without technological lifeforms, COULD in fact be hosting life....from simple algae/grass, to fish, land animals,vegetation etc.... yes I know thats very very hard to detect, if at all...without visiting the place...

But its still LIFE!

• Like 2

On 24.6.2016 at 1:16 AM, Nnicolette said:

You clearly dont understand SETI`s modus operandi so you have no base to criticize it. To search for ET originated radio waves does not mean to search for alien Hip-Hop radio station broadcasts. The search is pointed to supposed alien high power radio transmissions those were created and sent for the reason of contact. Humans broadcasted such high power signals/messages already and you would had heard nothing of such signal even if you would had been sit in the transmitters dish.

So, nice try but sorry, no banana.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, badeskov said:

Actually, RADAR does not need to be high powered and it is not necessarily so easy to detect. Especially if we are talking military RADARs, which on Earth have that useful, albeit for ET probably really annoying, feature that they do frequency hopping.

Cheers,
Badeskov 

Very true, but there are still radar systems that fit my description; the low-powered and frequency-agile systems won't be seen, but what is seen, if it's radar, will be easy enough to identify as a product of technology.

10 hours ago, toast said:

You clearly dont understand SETI`s modus operandi so you have no base to criticize it. To search for ET originated radio waves does not mean to search for alien Hip-Hop radio station broadcasts. The search is pointed to supposed alien high power radio transmissions those were created and sent for the reason of contact. Humans broadcasted such high power signals/messages already and you would had heard nothing of such signal even if you would had been sit in the transmitters dish.

So, nice try but sorry, no banana.

I have no basis to criticize? How about this. It's a narrow minded assumption. Life doesnt require radio signals and lacking them is not a guarentee of devoidness of life.

Humans broadcasted such high signals already? Yes but how long have theybeen doing that and how long do you think it will continue? Surely you dont think it will change but progress can take many directions.

Btw you can keep that banana to yourself anyways i'm not interested.

Edited by Nnicolette

10 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

I have no basis to criticize? How about this. It's a narrow minded assumption. Life doesnt require radio signals and lacking them is not a guarentee of devoidness of life.

Humans broadcasted such high signals already? Yes but how long have theybeen doing that and how long do you think it will continue? Surely you dont think it will change but progress can take many directions.

Btw you can keep that banana to yourself anyways i'm not interested.

You are correct but we don't have the technology quite yet to search for atmospheric signs of life so SETI is searching for intelligent, relatively advanced life that would have used EM radiation of one kind or another sometime in their existence.  I think that some of the next gen observatories/telescopes coming on-line over the next decade will be able to look for atmospheric evidence.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

I have no basis to criticize?

Thats correct and you proved it:

Whos to assume they would even have ears?

On 6/24/2016 at 9:16 AM, Nnicolette said:

What would you suggest as a superior method?

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Listen to whispering trees. Or so.

Edited by toast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, toast said:

Listen to whispering trees. Or so.

LOL, in all reality, we do not want to talk to aliens without ears, stupid aliens........

• Like 2

On 24/6/2016 at 1:16 AM, Nnicolette said:

As others have asked: How do you propose we search ?

As for it being absurd and pointless, the SETI programme is entirely funded by private donations, so why do you care what they do with their own money ?

13 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

LOL, in all reality, we do not want to talk to aliens without ears, stupid aliens........

Ferengi

• Like 2

4 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Well personally i am not sure what types of technologies are available in the search but i would look for a similar climate and magnetosphere to earth and look for signatures we are familar with like oxygen, methane, water... Perhaps a high powered heat sensitive telescope that can catch any heat anomalies. I dont know though what i would do isnt really relevant to the fact that its a far reaching assumption expecting radio signals. They definitely are going for evolved expecting radio waves though and a distinguishable contact. It makes me wonder if nikola's contact rumor had creedence. keep looking :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

As for it being absurd and pointless, the SETI programme is entirely funded by private donations, so why do you care what they do with their own money ?

Ferengi

Who said i care what they do wuth thier money? Again with the assumptions. I lived 5 miles from there awesome place. 

31 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Well personally i am not sure what types of technologies are available in the search but i would look for a similar climate and magnetosphere to earth and look for signatures we are familar with like oxygen, methane, water... Perhaps a high powered heat sensitive telescope that can catch any heat anomalies. I dont know though what i would do isnt really relevant to the fact that its a far reaching assumption expecting radio signals. They definitely are going for evolved expecting radio waves though and a distinguishable contact. It makes me wonder if nikola's contact rumor had creedence. keep looking :)

So you're suggesting we monitor the electromagnetic spectrum

• Like 2

On 27/06/2016 at 10:59 AM, seeder said:

As Ive said a zillion times on the forum.....a planet without technological lifeforms, COULD in fact be hosting life....from simple algae/grass, to fish, land animals,vegetation etc.... yes I know thats very very hard to detect, if at all...without visiting the place...

But its still LIFE!

It seems like not a lot of ET enthusiasts care about 'simple' life, it's always alien overlords that want to destroy/protect us.

Similar to how cryptid sites do not report any recent discoveries of 'mundane' creatures.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Ferengi

BABY, now that's what I'm talking about!!!

Oomox.jpg

Now were talking, you HEAR me I see..........

4 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

I believe they are already trying that one lovely lady:

LINK - Exoplanet Hunter Seeks Life on Other Worlds

The recent exoplanet findings reveal that worlds smaller than Earth are pretty common in our galaxy, contrary to what scientists originally believed.

Since the discovery of thousands of exoplanets -- worlds that orbit a star outside of our solar system -- Charbonneau explained that we need to start looking for chemical signatures that may indicate life in these "Goldilocks" exoplanets located in habitable zones.

"By studying alien worlds, we may find the first direct evidence of life beyond Earth, a sign that our living planet is, yet again, one among many," Charbonneau told CNN.

I agree that as many methods as is possible is the best way forward, as there is a lot of space to cover, but as we are looking for "life as we know it" I expect aliens to have ears as an atmosphere provides the perfect conditions to carry sound, which is a great way to alert prey to a predator, or for the hunt itself, the basics of life are likely to continue to develop, not to mention that hearing has been arisen more than once via convergent evolution, indicating that nature sees it as valuable. I think when considering aliens, we need to focus less on what we expect, and more on what nature expects and produces. 

• Like 2

On 24/6/2016 at 1:16 AM, Nnicolette said:

6 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

Who said i care what they do wuth thier money? Again with the assumptions. I lived 5 miles from there awesome place. 

You just seem to have a very strong opinion on the matter........................for someone who doesn't care.

As others have pointed out we are looking for life with other instruments, its just that right now using radio telescopes probably gives the best chance of success.

With the new generation of optical telescopes being constructed in the next few years, we might be able to find other planets that can sustain life, but we wont be able to see if there is intelligent life on them. Radio telescopes give us that possibility.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2016 at 2:13 AM, AbyssWalker said:

It seems like not a lot of ET enthusiasts care about 'simple' life, it's always alien overlords that want to destroy/protect us.

Similar to how cryptid sites do not report any recent discoveries of 'mundane' creatures.

But they do.   They claim it as evidence that their believed to be true creature could be out there.   Haven't you heard - "Since they found an unknown species of worm at the bottom of the ocean, bigfoot could be real".  

• Like 2

All SETI is capable of detecting are intelligent communicating species at approximately our level of technological development. Of course, that's based on the assumption such species exist. At this point in time there is absolutely no evidence they do. Intellectual rationalizations are not themselves evidence, however logical and reasonable they may seem.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1