Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pedals the bipedal bear resurfaces

jethrofloyd

Pedals the bipedal bear resurfaces in New Jersey

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/06/23/Pedals-the-bipedal-bear-resurfaces-in-New-Jersey/4051466686151/?spt=sec&or=on

The video shows Pedals wandering around neighboring yards while walking on his back legs due to his missing right front paw and injured left front paw.

Esposito told ABC News that Pedals appeared to be "pretty healthy."

"He didn't seem like he was going to harm anyone," Esposito said. "I didn't want to get too close, but he actually looked pretty good."

BigFoot :)

• Like 1

Awww... kind-of cute in a way (I know it's severely injured) and seems to mean no harm.

EDIT: Wonder if game wardens could catch him before he dies of injury infections.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Looks like maybe his front right paw was injured. I wonder if any veterinarian has checked him out?

• Like 1

It's a Sasquatch, masquerading as a bear.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Looks like maybe his front right paw was injured. I wonder if any veterinarian has checked him out?

That's exactly what it looks like. He seems like being in distress as well. Poor bear. :(

• Like 1

Although they're saying the bear looks pretty healthy, It doesn't seem right somehow that he's being left to wander around fending for himself. While he appears to have adapted well to his situation, it's sad to see him walking around in that condition.

• Like 2

First spotted in August? Really? I did a story on this same bear back in August of 2014 in Oak Park, New Jersey. What are the odds of two different bears with similar injuries to the same paws happening in the same area? Or is this the same bear and no one remembers?

2014 video: 

I -REALLY- want him to be captured and helped in some way. I love the spirit of this bear but I worry for him.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dr.Brian said:

First spotted in August? Really? I did a story on this same bear back in August of 2014 in Oak Park, New Jersey.

From the OP's post -

This 'might' be the explanation for "BigFoot"

Bears use their front paws and claws for a lot of things. What if one or both front paws were "snapped-off" or injured in a jaw trap, fight, or a fall, etc.??

Maybe if surviving the original injury they go partially bipedal out of Nature's necessity.

7 hours ago, Still Waters said:

From the OP's post -

Right, but the Huffington Post does not say this AND a representative of the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Agency's Division of Fish and Wildlife also stated the bear was first sighted in August of 2015. At least one reporting agency got it right.

Maybe the bears think if they walk upright they'll look human and we won't notice them strolling through the neighborhood. Sneaky bears.   

Edited by Varelse
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2016 at 1:02 PM, Varelse said:

Maybe the bears think if they walk upright they'll look human and we won't notice them strolling through the neighborhood. Sneaky bears.   

Plus, standing upright, makes it easier to see what is in all those garbage cans people put out by the street.

While it makes an interesting video, I'm sorry for the bear.I'm sure it would have preferred to walk as a normal bear. Because of his physical problems and being around people, I don't think the future bodes well for it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If I'm not mistaken, Pedals has just met an unfortunate end at the hands of a hunter.   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pedals-the-bear-believed-dead_us_58037fa6e4b0162c043c7b83

Edited by Hammerclaw