Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Restaurant server fired over 'Fatty' receipt

jethrofloyd

Restaurant server fired over receipt calling customer 'Fatty'

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/06/23/Restaurant-server-fired-over-receipt-calling-customer-Fatty/4721466689008/?spt=sec&or=on

WARWICK, R.I., June 23 (UPI) -- A Rhode Island restaurant owner said a server -- his own son -- was fired after a customer received a printed receipt that identified the patron as "Fatty."

I've always wanted to start a restaurant and call it "Rude Dudes Foods"... And have all my wait staff insult the customers (in a fun way of course)...  The country is probably too PC for this nowadays though....

• Like 8

IDK if its still there but there used to be a place in vegas like that but if i remember correctly the servers were hot chicks. 

• Like 1

but I'd rather just not go there,"

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2016/06/23/Restaurant-server-fired-over-receipt-calling-customer-Fatty/4721466689008/?spt=sec&or=on

Hmm, best way to lose some weight.

Jokes aside, I do think "really, is that the best place to be eating?" when you see some pretty overweight people sitting in a burger bar with a plate filled with fatty (no offence) foods.

I notice the facebook page with his receipt on does not show how much the bill was and what he bought....why is that? 

Ok, no excuse for putting fatty on the receipt, but some people do need a wake up call for their own health, maybe this will be it for this young man?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Jokes aside, I do think "really, is that the best place to be eating?" when you see some pretty overweight people sitting in a burger bar with a plate filled with fatty (no offence) foods.

My husband and I are both thin. I don't fry food at home and always try to cook healthy using olive oil and the like. Once a month though, we go somewhere that makes the Southern fried, fatty foods that most of us grew up on and I binge. Fried catfish, mac & cheese, fried okra, buttery mashed potatoes, cornbread...yum. :wub:

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

My husband and I are both thin. I don't fry food at home and always try to cook healthy using olive oil and the like. Once a month though, we go somewhere that makes the Southern fried, fatty foods that most of us grew up on and I binge. Fried catfish, mac & cheese, fried okra, buttery mashed potatoes, cornbread...yum. :wub:

I am thin, but my husband is 6ft high and 3 sizes bigger than me wide, but he is not a fatty food eater. He does like his healthy foods, just lots of it.

We have the occasional fry up, love a big fried up breakfast on a Sunday morning.

I was in Greggs one day getting my coffee and there was a really large woman and man buying loads of cakes, it is very possible they were having a party, I was not going to ask, but the sight of it was really quite off putting. Party or not, is fatty cakes (and trust me, there were boxes of them) really the only option they had to feed either themselves or their guests?

• Like 2

Vacations, parties, holidays and family reunions are not a time to diet. We have guests coming in from St. Thomas next week and I bet I gain a few pounds. There are times to be decadent and times to be reserved. :D

• Like 3

We gotta 2 triple chili cheeseburger plates for Mr. Manboobs and Mrs TripleChins. Order up. Tell'em there's a weight limit on those seats.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Restaurant server fired over 'Fatty' receipt

I used to get hot chocolate at the university coffee shop and it always said "cow" on it. I'm rather thin, but I was still starting to get a complex, so I asked about it. It was shorthand for cocoa with whipped cream.

I think they'd have a tough case to make that fatty stood for anything else, though. Lol. 

• Like 1

You can't just go there and accept an apology in person? You're no better than the kid who called you fat if you can't be gracious enough to go there just to accept the apology in person. No one is forcing you to eat there again.

Besides, I find it suspicious because information at the top of the receipt like that typically has to do with the cashier and the business, not the patron.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Ok, no excuse for putting fatty on the receipt, but some people do need a wake up call for their own health, maybe this will be it for this young man?

While I agree in principle, you have to be careful.  What if the poor soul *was* in fact on a very strict weight loss program, was succeeding, and then was having their once a month treat... then some stranger makes judgmental comments?  That might be the straw that makes them give up and order dessert...

And yes, it sounds very odd that was on a receipt...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

While I agree in principle, you have to be careful.  What if the poor soul *was* in fact on a very strict weight loss program, was succeeding, and then was having their once a month treat... then some stranger makes judgmental comments?  That might be the straw that makes them give up and order dessert...

Without meaning to sound insensitive = the very strict weight loss program needs to be stricter if their treat is a junk food treat.

Someone in rehab does not get to treat out once a month on a bottle of whiskey or a gram of coke. There are other ways to treat yourself.

Am certainly not going to condone  the childish behavior of putting the name on the receipt, but i would like to see (out of curiosity) what food he did purchase, was it a long list  of fatty foods, hence the 18 year old lad serving him thought it amusing to put fatty2? The kid was 18, are we really surprised by what he done? = again not condoning it, but not fully surprised.

We have a kid posting about another kid being a silly kid. would not surprise me if they knew each other, maybe this is why the 18 year old thought it amusing to put fatty on the receipt which he knew the other lad would see.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

You're fat and someone called you fat. The owner fired his own son that did it and apologized profusely. Get over it. 

3 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Very strict diets cause people to give up completely, if they don't get a treat every now and then. 

• Like 2

My hubby has a lot of health problems which have led to him being overweight.  (kidney transplant, kidney cancer twice, stents in his heart, large doses of prednisone, thyroid cancer) He is struggling to lose weight and it is coming off slowly, but we have had complete strangers come up to him and mention how he needs to slow down his eating b/c he's overweight.  It's heartbreaking to see the look on his face when that happens and it's like he has said, he knows he is overweight but is actively trying to lose it.   The point of this is that the server was rude, no matter what he thought of the client's appearance.  All people want to know they are valued, and not be torn down.  

Edited by tcgram
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, tcgram said:

My hubby has a lot of health problems which have led to him being overweight.  (kidney transplant, kidney cancer twice, stents in his heart, large doses of prednisone, thyroid cancer) He is struggling to lose weight and it is coming off slowly, but we have had complete strangers come up to him and mention how he needs to slow down his eating b/c he's overweight.  It's heartbreaking to see the look on his face when that happens and it's like he has said, he knows he is overweight but is actively trying to lose it.   The point of this is that the server was rude, no matter what he thought of the client's appearance.  All people want to know they are valued, and not be torn down.  

I can't believe the hubris of some people. I can't tell you how much these busybodies infuriate me and I know the type well. They are the same ones who proclaim people should "live and let live" and yet they can't help but stick their noses into everyone else's business.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Taun said:

I've always wanted to start a restaurant and call it "Rude Dudes Foods"... And have all my wait staff insult the customers (in a fun way of course)...  The country is probably too PC for this nowadays though....

That's sort of already a thing in Italy, there's a restaurant called "Cencio La Parolaccia" which i think is basically translated to "the swear word".

• Like 1

I can see their new slogan...

"All Star Restaurant. Where the wait staff don't lie."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Michelle said:

I can't believe the hubris of some people. I can't tell you how much these busybodies infuriate me and I know the type well. They are the same ones who proclaim people should "live and let live" and yet they can't help but stick their noses into everyone else's business.

I know what you mean...  I was out grocery shopping one day, and I am very methodical in my shopping, I always start at the back of the store and work my way down every line until I get to the cashier - that way I don't miss anything... The store I was in sort of had most of it's snack and junk type foods in the back and so that was basically all I had in my cart when this woman came up to me and indicated my selections, she said "That's not healthy for you - you know?" ... I stared at her for a moment and replied, "You know what else isn't healthy for you? Sticking your nose into other peoples business uninvited."... She turned red in the face, got all indignant and stomped off... Two other shoppers actually applauded me... 

• Like 5

I remember going into a fast food joint years back with a friend and the girl behind the counter was on the huge side, when we got to the counter she said "sorry about the wait", my friend replied " its ok, you`ll lose it one day".

:ph34r:

• Like 2

I still think the two lads knew each other, would not be surprised if there was more to this, maybe some prior "disagreements" between the boys, hence why the father has not only sacked his son, but barred him from the eatery....and then the very apologetic post. Is he afraid of a comeback from this among other teenagers?  maybe Dillons friends, no matter what size they are.

From the post, it does appear that the father knew Dillon, he does not even address him as Mr. 

Seems that Dillon has got his own back after being bullied about his weight and I bet this is not the first time the son has taking the mickey out of him. The father likely knew this and did the only thing he could for his business and respect for his customers, get rid of him....suppose he had no choice now that it was plastered on facebook what a w.......his son had been.

• Like 2

I hate when people judge other people who are overweight. Nobody knows what's going on in that persons life.

Just because someone is overweight and they are eating in a restaurant. Doesn't mean they go out all the time eating not the most healthy things.

yes I'm overweight, I suffer from rheumatoid arthiritis. I take multiple drugs that make it difficult for me to lose weight.

I eat homemade food most of the time and I exercise by swimming. I may go out to eat on special occasions. That gives nobody the right to come up to me and tell me something I don't already know. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fawkes2 said:

I hate when people judge other people who are overweight. Nobody knows what's going on in that persons life.

Just because someone is overweight and they are eating in a restaurant. Doesn't mean they go out all the time eating not the most healthy things.

yes I'm overweight, I suffer from rheumatoid arthiritis. I take multiple drugs that make it difficult for me to lose weight.

I eat homemade food most of the time and I exercise by swimming. I may go out to eat on special occasions. That gives nobody the right to come up to me and tell me something I don't already know. 

I know what you mean. I gained twenty pounds after I had massive congestive heart failure. Being tall it wasn't that noticeable, but I felt like a cow. All of the medications I am on have messed up my metabolism and it has become much more difficult to take the access weight off.