Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Catastrophic Floods in West Virginia

pallidin

–  At least 20 people have died from flooding in West Virginia, and officials fear that number will continue to climb.

Earlier Friday, Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin told a news conference that at least 14 people had died. However, a spokesman for the West Virginia Division of Homeland Security confirmed the high death toll Friday afternoon.

"Our focus remains on search and rescue," Tomblin said, later adding: "It's been a long 24 hours and the next 24 hours may not be much easier."

Earlier Friday, Greenbrier County Sheriff Jan Cahill described "complete chaos" in his county, which appeared to be the hardest hit.

"Roads destroyed, bridges out, homes burned down, washed off foundations," he told the Associated Press. "Multiple sections of highway just missing. Pavement just peeled off like a banana. I've never seen anything like that."

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/06/24/at-least-20-dead-in-west-virginia-floods-official-says.html?intcmp=hpbt1

• Like 1

They really shouldn't call them 500yr or 1000yr floods.  They should call them .5% or .1% floods.  It gives people the false idea that it is a periodic event and can't happen back to back.

• Like 4

The waters have since receded in most places. Elkview is covered in dirt and dry mud left behind by the waters. Thankfully, my house was not hit.

Clendenin, Richwood, and Greenbrier County suffered the most during this flood. So much damage has been done.

• Like 1

Glad you are safe UFO.  I am sorry for your neighbors who lost so much.  I know the cleanup and salvage will be monumental.  Best of luck to all of your neighbors.

• Like 2