Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waiting By The Grave Side

Pam McCagh

Waiting By The Graveside

I found myself waiting by the grave side.  I don’t know how long I was there; I just knew something was different.  I looked over to the head stone.  I saw my mother and father’s names there.  I could not remember anything.  I tried so hard to remember what I was doing here and just one thought came to me, the hospital.  I looked around I could see a tall building.  I was drawn to it and I slowly walked towards it.

It felt strange that no one spoke to me; when I asked questions, nobody answered.  I walked into the lift.  There were other people with me.  I let them press the buttons.  One pressed number one, and one pressed number three and I thought, I hope someone presses number four, but nobody did.  I dont know why, but I sensed that I could not press the buttons, so I just waited.  Then a man and his daughter walked in and the daughter pressed number four.

Then up we went.  I let them get out at first and looked around to see where I was.  It did not look like a hospital.  It was one long corridor.  I started to walk.  I looked through some of the windows but there were no people in there.  Then I saw a little girl come out of the room and she was crying.  Her father said, “I begged you not to go in.”  The little girl didn’t answer and they both walked straight past me.  I went to the door where I had watched them both come out.

There was a man standing there.  He looked to be in a night gown.  He said to me, “Dont go in there you will never come out.”  I asked him, why.  He told me to look in but do not open the door.  I realized it was a morgue.  He asked, “What are you doing here?”  I told him I did not know.  I asked him what he was doing there, and he said he was waiting for someone.  I asked, “Who?”  And he said, “Everyone.”  I asked him what he meant and he said, “Don’t you know?”  I said, no.  He replied, “Only the dead come here.”

I said, “Im not dead.”  He said, “Look into the glass, do you see your reflection?”  I said, no.  He just looked at me and smiled.  I looked down at my hands and my feet and touched my body and everything seemed to be okay.

He smiled and left.  I did not know what to think so I went back to the lift and waited for someone to press the buttons to go down.  Then someone pressed number two and I thought I would get off and look around.

There were lots of people walking around, some were nurses, and some were visitors, but nobody seemed to see me or hear me when I asked about my mother and father.

Then I met that man again and he said, “Are you still here?”I said, “I must stay here until I know what is going on.”He said, “If you want to know what happened then you must go to the basement and look through your paperwork.”  I asked, “Why?”  He told me that I would understand.  “I will show you where to go.”  He came with me.

I went towards the lift but he said no, this way.  We went down the steps to the basement.  There were rows and rows of boxes.  He told to look for one that had my name on it.   I looked at him with questions.

He said, “Never mind, give me your name.”  Burrows”, I replied.  He started to walk down one side of the boxes.  He said, “Look for the B, as in your name.”  Then he called out, “Don’t worry, I’ve got it.”  We stood there looking at the box and he said, “Now this is where it gets hard.  I need you to concentrate with me.”  I asked, what for, and he said, “To get the bloody box down, of course.”

I looked at him and said, “Why dont we just lift it down?”  He replied, “You go for it”, and gave me that smirking smile again.  I lifted my hands up to the box but nothing happened.  My hands seemed to go straight through the box.  I asked him what was wrong.  He said, “You’re dead of course, that’s what’s wrong.  Let me show you what an expert can do.”  He closed his eyes and told me to concentrate on the box as if we were going to lift it down.

Then the box started to move and down it came.  He smiled and said, “We would make a good team.”  The next thing was the lid.  He said, “Just think of seeing yourself lifting the lid up.”  I did, but nothing happened.  He said, “You must have patience.”  And off came the lid.  The paperwork came filtering out of the box one paper at a time until there were five pieces of paper in front of us.  He said, “This is your death certificate.  Im sorry to say that you died first.  Your father died two days later and your Mother died not long after him.”  I said, “How?”  He said, “I dont bloody know.  You must know.”  He said,  “Think what your last thought was.”  I thought and thought and could not remember.

Then I remembered the plane crash.  Oh my God!  Everyone was being thrown around; there was a lot of screaming and people were all over each other, not being able to stand or sit.  Seats were being ripped out and I remember my head getting caught and calling out for my Mother.  He said, “Well, now you know.”  I sat there and cried.  He said, “You must start looking towards the future.”

I shouted hysterically, “What future?  I’m bloody dead!”  “Now, now”, he said, “that’s no kind of language for a young lady.”  He seemed to blow on the paperwork and it landed back in the box.  He closed his eyes and the box went back where we got it from.Then he sat by me and said, “We have to work together to get you to the other side.”I said, “What other side?”

He said, “Where your mother and father are.”I said, “They are bloody dead!”He said, “If you say that once more I will clip you around the head.  And if you think I’m joking, then you wait and see.”Then he said, “Come on now, lets go.”  I followed him.  We left the hospital and went to sit by the water’s edge. He said ‘You must have missed your connection.  Think of what you were thinking of in your last minutes’I remembered thinking, will I ever see Mother again?  “That’s it.” he said.  “Well, not exactly.  I was mad with Mother just before.  I said I will never go with them again for as long as I live.”

He just looked at me.  “We have to find someone that can take you over.”  I asked him how did it work?  He told me that you have to want it with all of your soul and much more.  You will have to build it up, its like building a lot of wishes and stacking them on top of each other.  No more questions.”  he said.  I thought of what he said but I did not understand.  I think he knew that also.  He said, “Lets go home, get something to eat.”  I said, “I thought we were dead?”  He said, “What has that got to do with it.?”  I shrugged my shoulders and didn’t say anything.

I suppose you can say we wished for a hot dog and there it was, and a Coca-Cola and anything else we wished to eat.  It’s funny, but when we wanted to sit down there seemed to be benches close by.  If we wanted water a water fountain would come into view.  We never seemed to want for anything.  But I did notice that nobody wanted to talk to us, and I was getting a little fed up of people passing by and ignoring us.  I asked, “What’s going on?”  He said, “People dont see us.”  It felt like weeks; months; but my new friend said it was only hours.

It was getting boring.  I tried to play with the children but no one saw me.  He said, “Have you thought any more of the other side?”  I said, no, not really.  Well you better had because I’m not going to babysit you all the time.  I have to do other things.”  I said, “Why don’t you want to go to the other side?”  He said, “This is my job.  To look out for people like you.”  When I asked why he replied, “No more questions.”

He told me to lay down on the grass, close my eyes, and think of my mother and father.  Think of all the good things that we had together and the love they both gave me.  Then I remembered them holding me and telling me how they missed me.  My heart was so sad that every thought I had went down to my feet; and for one lonely moment, I cried out.  I felt a little different lying there.  Then I heard a voice say, “Hold my hand”, and I remember trying to reach out for this person’s hand.

Then all of a sudden I felt this warm hand and I wanted to feel more.  The voice kept saying to me, “Hold on tight.”  I did, with every strength that I possessed.  The voice kept talking to me about my mother and father.  I told her all about what had happened.  That I truly loved them both and I wished I was with them.  She told me to close my eyes and think of my mothers smile.  I did, and straight away I felt this lovely warm feeling coming over me and the beautiful smell of flowers.  Then this beautiful lady came just behind her.  She kept on calling my name and I knew that I was in my mother’s arms once more.

By Pam Mccagh

Edited by Pam McCagh
missed words
  • Like 2

Is this an experience or a story? If it's just a story then it should be in the writers section. 

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Is this an experience or a story? If it's just a story then it should be in the writers section. 

To be fair to the new member this sub-forum does say stories, sightings and experiences.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm asking a question and offering a suggestion. So the new member get's a free heads up. 

I know.

45 minutes ago, mr3rdrock said:

To be fair to the new member this sub-forum does say stories, sightings and experiences.

i looked for short stories ,i thought some people would be interested.th them let me know if you find a place i can put them blame it on me being an Australian Ha Ha

• Like 1

Hi Pam, welcome to UM :st I like your story .... I'm going to read the other two in a minute.

Ask one of the mods to move your stories to the writer's hangout.

edit: haha! I notice you've already found your way there.

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 1