Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My friend is ''possessed'' by a ghost.

Ravenharp

My friend, Clara believes that a spirit of a deceased person became attached to her during her childhood. She believes so because of a person who she states appears in her dreams, causing her to wake up, and that her parents reported seeing the same young man, among other tidbits. Ironically, though, she affirms an attachment to the entity. Just a side note, however, Clara has an actual phobia of ghosts. She obtained this phobia after reading about cases of ghosts that had allegedly killed people, by choking them, and is afraid that this entity will do the same. She also told me that she inexplicably felt a pressure on her adam's apple area for hours which stopped her from sleeping one night after she told a friend on Facebook she was scared of being strangled by a ghost. This made her feel worse about the whole ordeal and is terrified of this harming her and her not being able to do anything about it. 

Edited by Ravenharp

Maybe your friend should avoid these ghost stories for a while as it makes her feel uncomfortable.

As for the feeling of pressure on her throat, maybe it's fear or paranoia, or maybe she has an actual issue with her throat and ghostly explanations are the first things coming to her head at the moment. Could be a coincidence.

• Like 3

If she felt like she was being strangled while sleeping she more than likely experienced sleep paralysis.  

• Like 3

I can send the evil beastie away, for a small sum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

If she felt like she was being strangled while sleeping she more than likely experienced sleep paralysis.  

It was when she was awake, on her laptop.

3 hours ago, Ravenharp said:

It was when she was awake, on her laptop.

Depending how she was positioned on her laptop, there's a good chance the top of the screen was pressing against her throat.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Redefining Success said:

Depending how she was positioned on her laptop, there's a good chance the top of the screen was pressing against her throat.

I just asked her that and she said she had it near her stomach.

22 minutes ago, Ravenharp said:

I just asked her that and she said she had it near her stomach.

That explains it then, excessive pressure on the stomach can trigger a gag reflex which can be delayed.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2016 at 6:32 PM, Redefining Success said:

That explains it then, excessive pressure on the stomach can trigger a gag reflex which can be delayed.

Would it really explain having the sensation for hours, though?

To the OP: What was she doing during those hours while she was experiencing pressure on her adam's apple? Did she stay on the laptop the entire time? I can't imagine someone would sit on their laptop in the same position when they have pressure on their adam's apple.

Sounds like a plausible case of the psychosomatic nature to me. If she spends her days being worried about getting strangled by ghosts, and believes one is attached to her, and its affecting her to the point where she is starting to feel like she is being strangled then I would suggest seeking medical help before looking into the possibility of possession.

Have you ever heard an arachnophobic say they feel like spiders are crawling all over them, even though there is nothing there? This sounds very similar to me.

12 minutes ago, mr3rdrock said:

Would it really explain having the sensation for hours, though?

Sarcasm.

On 6/25/2016 at 8:03 AM, Ravenharp said:

My friend, Clara believes that a spirit of a deceased person became attached to her during her childhood. She believes so because of a person who she states appears in her dreams, causing her to wake up, and that her parents reported seeing the same young man, among other tidbits. Ironically, though, she affirms an attachment to the entity. Just a side note, however, Clara has an actual phobia of ghosts. She obtained this phobia after reading about cases of ghosts that had allegedly killed people, by choking them, and is afraid that this entity will do the same. She also told me that she inexplicably felt a pressure on her adam's apple area for hours which stopped her from sleeping one night after she told a friend on Facebook she was scared of being strangled by a ghost. This made her feel worse about the whole ordeal and is terrified of this harming her and her not being able to do anything about it. 

We have a classic case here of a young person who had been subject to ghost stories and instead of the parents explaining they are just stories, they actually encourage her to believe in them.............and the  the nightmares begin. Because of her beliefs and fears the dreams have now become part of her waking days. 

The pressure on the adams apple has nothing to do with being possessed, it have everything with being obsessed, obsessed by the belief of having a ghost inside her.

The NORM when you feel pressure on the throat which is affecting your sleep, is to go to the doctors. 

• Like 3

I've had the sensation of being chocked, and then suddenly sweet relief ............ "Excuse me from the bottom of my heart, but had it come out the other end it would have been a fart."

It seems like an irrational phobia that has developed due to books, stories and films which claim that they are "inspired" from real life incidents! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tracy18 said:

It seems like an irrational phobia that has developed due to books, stories and films which claim that they are "inspired" from real life incidents! 

This coupled with the possible undiagnosed psychosis.

If she has something to do about this phobia, then she will feel empowered. 

I suggest the LBRP and Middle Pillar to get back in balance. Oh...and quit reading and watching scary stuff. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1