Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do you Believe?

XenoFish

47 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

If we go back into my past say 7 years are so ago. I was a member of an occult forum which gave a recommended daily training. So I'm going to cliff note what was require and what I learned because if it.

Rise early read scripture (minimum 1 hour)

divine mantra (108 times minimum, aspire to 10,000 repetitions)

Hygiene, bodily control, and breathing exercises (pranayama)

Meditation (1 hour minimum, 4 hours for the aspirant)

One ritual a day (greater or lesser banishing)

Prayer

Mantra again

Reading again

Sleep

Along with this the aspiring magician was to abstain from alcohol, too much sex (or none at all). Pure living (like not watch t.v. etc) Basically this was meant strengthen a belief. I actually tried this for 3 months before it got weird, well I became weird. I learn that there is power in an idea. The stronger it is the more is shapes your view of reality. While on one hand it can be good, however there is a lot of danger in doing such a thing.  I'll admit the confirmation bias was strong during this time. 

This is all a truth.

A greater truth is that, when you move beyond a certain point you don't need the physical rituals etc or to spend all that time

You only need  understanding, discipline of mind, and openness of heart and mind   By becoming one with the universe  you (this is hard to put into words  )  align with, or connect with, all things in a way which alters both you and your surroundings  One cant fear what one is, and one cant fear what one understands,  as an example.  One cant envy or be jealous of oneself, and one cant logically get angry with a universe which is one with yourself. 

It is true that, especialy in the learning phase, physical distractions can be challenging  One might even give up such distractions permanently, as they become unnecessary to achieve happiness and peace, but eventually your mind controls and disciplines yourself so the distractions no longer exist.  

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

If we go back into my past say 7 years are so ago. I was a member of an occult forum which gave a recommended daily training. So I'm going to cliff note what was require and what I learned because if it.

Rise early read scripture (minimum 1 hour)

divine mantra (108 times minimum, aspire to 10,000 repetitions)

Hygiene, bodily control, and breathing exercises (pranayama)

Meditation (1 hour minimum, 4 hours for the aspirant)

One ritual a day (greater or lesser banishing)

Prayer

Mantra again

Reading again

Sleep

Along with this the aspiring magician was to abstain from alcohol, too much sex (or none at all). Pure living (like not watch t.v. etc) Basically this was meant strengthen a belief. I actually tried this for 3 months before it got weird, well I became weird. I learn that there is power in an idea. The stronger it is the more is shapes your view of reality. While on one hand it can be good, however there is a lot of danger in doing such a thing.  I'll admit the confirmation bias was strong during this time. 

Xeno, in your time with the occult practice, was there not enough to give you pause in declaring all experiences confirmation bias? 

Sitting at a drive through years ago, I'm explaining to my passenger the belief I had adopted regarding karma. I had fed a homeless guy that day and taken a bunch of clothes to the homeless hangout downtown and talked to the folks there, she rode with me. I was explaining to her that it would come back, the good deed somehow to her and i, as I had experienced it before. 

Lo and behold, we're in tank tops, ive got long hair- riding in an old firebird-lady behind us is in her 70's. That sweet old lady bought our meal!! 

Sure, I can say confirmation bias, I quit my occult practice partly because life got hard, and secondly I fell into chaos when I realized rituals were ridiculous, and lost the discipline..

I just can't write it all off yet, but if I am to continue playing with it I feel I mist understand what's really going on..

5 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

Xeno, in your time with the occult practice, was there not enough to give you pause in declaring all experiences confirmation bias? 

Unfortunately no. About 4 years ago (before I started losing my faith in magick) I had fired a sigil for money. I need a lot and in a hurry. I got it. And in hindsight I realize that all I had done was shift my perspective, I saw the opportunity's. I didn't make them. It was all confirmation bias and self-fulfilling actions.  The real power in magick just like in any form of religious or pseudo-religious ritual is psychological. I never had supernatural events like so many claim. Never once did I get the 'WTF' was that moments. Nothing that ever scream "This crap is real." no not one thing. I could chalk a lot up to being real if I wanted to see it that way. I could shut off all critical thinking and believe that I had some magical power. I could still believe that I had control in life. And that what it's all about, the delusion. Magick with it's rituals and religion with prayer (not much difference really) it's all about having the illusion of control. 

Doing something nice with a subconscious expectation (In your case karma) that something good would happen in return. Just allows you to associate your actions with an event. This is called magical thinking. It's also consider sympathetic magick. Basically meaning your act of kindness would be returned with kindness. 

Take a few moments each morning to mentally play out the rest of the day. See all the events that you want to come or to happen. Do this every single morning and see what becomes of it. 

If metaphysical abilities actually existed I should be commanding the very forces of nature at will. I dedicated everything to magick. It was life for me. I was highly motivated to become something great. I didn't want a passive role like Christians have. I wanted to face hell itself and become better. Though in my own way I have. 

• Like 1

So you were indicating to a quote I found and not this gibberish which I would never type::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: <    " Insane quote boxes!!? "    > that you so cleverly popped in, UNDER MY NAME.

Okay, well I was mildly addressing what had been used in the past by certain individuals the best comment probably ever to touch the realms of this site, my fault and I should have noted / quoted it better. On an ending note I would declare not to change or elaborate for fear of deviating from quite possibly the most accurate statement ever said.

Now I'll use the quote toy for clarity, naturally this was regarding Wes4747's previous comment Apx. 47 minutes ago.

47 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

Insane quote boxes!!?

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

To Mwoo and others- apologies, my quote box keeps sticking to my next post, or sometimes won't delete my last post from my reply!

Xeno, deep down I know you're right. Maybe the magick does happen in a change of perspective.. I was talking with a friend a long while back and had an epiphany.

I forget the topic, but he says 'you can look at it any way you want'. And like a ton of bricks I realized that was my control. It was a gift indeed. How many are trapped in only one perspective? I have the power to drop all bias and perceive the moment in all its glory any way I want too.

Powerful stuff to me, thanks for the reply

• Like 2

I think that's where the problem is. People want that magic genie approach to it all. Say a prayer get a wish, cast a spell do the same. Something for nothing. It's a lot like the Law of Attraction bull. Imagining something and wishing really hard doesn't accomplish anything. Thinking it through and making a plan does. Using the visualization as a reminder of your goal can help you along. Real change comes from within. Magick allows me to change my view of the world. I see things different. Adopting even an absurd belief for a day can make you think. Just try it. 

• Like 2

_____ _____ I can't believe you people exist *kidding* EXCELLENT ! sometimes I wish I had a magic recorder for my head TO KEEP REMINDING ME OF excellent quotes , proverbs sayings etc. I never seem to remember them when I need to HA!

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I think that's where the problem is. People want that magic genie approach to it all. Say a prayer get a wish, cast a spell do the same. Something for nothing. It's a lot like the Law of Attraction bull. Imagining something and wishing really hard doesn't accomplish anything. Thinking it through and making a plan does. Using the visualization as a reminder of your goal can help you along. Real change comes from within. Magick allows me to change my view of the world. I see things different. Adopting even an absurd belief for a day can make you think. Just try it. 

• Like 1