Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dalai Lama speaks on too much immigration

seeder

The Dalai Lama Speaks the Uncomfortable Truth about Immigration

When a refugee crisis of such magnitude as the mass exodus from Syria occurs, it tends to draw out both the best and worst qualities of people. The progressive, humanitarian angle on a situation like this is to take the high of road of offering solace and aid to as many suffering people as possible. An understandable expression of human compassion, however, on the other hand, as a means of protecting and preserving their individual customs and culture, nationalistic movements come out swinging for an end to such destructive immigration policies.

Immigration is being used as a political weapon to destabilize the West. Western governments and political leaders are deliberately permitting unlimited unreasonable amounts of legal and illegal immigration as well as accepting hundreds of thousands of refugees from Muslim nations into their own states. Additionally, radical Islam is admittedly using immigration into Western nations as a tactic to achieve the publicly stated and oft-repeated goal of conquering non-Muslim nations from within their own borders by simply outgrowing them.

Typically known for his peaceful spiritual guidance and leadership in our troubled world, the Dalai Lama recently chimed in with his thoughts about the present refugee crisis in Europe. Without going into too much detail, he stated the simple and unavoidable truth of the situation: immigration, both legal and illegal, is not always a good thing.

MORE
http://www.wakingtimes.com/2016/06/23/dalai-lama-speaks-uncomfortable-truth-immigration/

• Like 2

Interesting. Very political of a religious leader such as the Dalai Lama to voice such an opinion. Not suggesting that the Dalai Lama is wrong, but its certainly in his interests to be dealing with a sympathetic Christian/atheist West rather than a radicalised Islam.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

Interesting. Very political of a religious leader such as the Dalai Lama to voice such an opinion.

Its about time someone had the balls to say it

• Like 2

Well, he's right.  But the Dalai Lama didn't mean we should slam the door in their faces and erect fences. We can all agree that the Syrian people belong to Syria and we have a duty to do everything we can to help them so that they can eventually go back home in safety.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 3

Interesting. I wonder what his followers will think

• Like 1

I understand compassion and the point about overwhelming numbers.  I see it every day when I drive to work.  Every highway off ramp has 1-2 people with cardboard signs asking for money.  Sometimes they extend to intersections two or three blocks away in every direction. When it was one or two, I gave money, now I am overloaded. I could give away all of my money and it would not be enough.   These are not refugees I know but nonetheless a problem concerning our society.

In the case of refugees, what I don't understand is allowing the causes to continue.  Put an end to the Syrian diaspora.  Take Bashir Assad out of power.  It might be done politically, without the use of force.  End violence so people can return home.  I don't believe refugees want to be immigrants, they just want their children safe and would be happier at home where they had productive lives.

20 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

In the case of refugees, what I don't understand is allowing the causes to continue.  Put an end to the Syrian diaspora.  Take Bashir Assad out of power.  It might be done politically, without the use of force.  End violence so people can return home.  I don't believe refugees want to be immigrants, they just want their children safe and would be happier at home where they had productive lives.

This kind of rethoric has caused more harm than good. Regime change didn't work so well for Iraq and Libya, did it? We should actually be working with Assad to take out the extremist groups which are doing much of the damages to that country and the whole region.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I don't believe refugees want to be immigrants,

Oh really? Typically an immigrant to the UK is GIVEN a home....then has grants to furnish it completely....THEN....has the rent paid and is paid welfare, gets free healthcare and education

For many parts of the world, coming to the UK is like hitting the lottery...

OH and then they can build Mosques...and demand rights for their religion to be respected.... in a Christian country

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, seeder said:

Oh really? Typically an immigrant to the UK is GIVEN a home....then has grants to furnish it completely....THEN....has the rent paid and is paid welfare, gets free healthcare and education

OH and then they can build Mosques...and demand rights for their religion to be respected.... in a Christian country

I'll assume you mean that some of them make unreasonable demands.

Surely the right to religious expression should be protected - you wouldn't want to live in a United Kingdom that did anything else, would you? Many of these immigrants come from nations that are extremely religiously intolerant. Shouldn't we all be better than that?

24 minutes ago, Arbenol said:

Surely the right to religious expression should be protected - you wouldn't want to live in a United Kingdom that did anything else, would you? Many of these immigrants come from nations that are extremely religiously intolerant. Shouldn't we all be better than that?

Ive mentioned this before but will do again, London UK had an issue with the 'Muslim Patrol'.... who, near 'their' housing estates, would patrol the streets, beating up gay men, spitting at and assaulting UK girls who wear short skirts, or who show cleavage.... and attacking UK guys who will take their beers from a bar and drink it on the way home, 'on the streets' if you like. All of which is totally normal regular Brit behaviour....but 'they' took offense

Of course this then played out dramatically in Sweden...again, women assaulted and even RAPED in the streets.... a young boy RAPED in a pool with the immigrants excuse being..."He was desperate for sex"..... never-mind how the young boy has now been traumatised for life.....coz you know...the migrant was desperate for sex.. so thats OK of course isnt it? At least It was in HIS mind....

Which then lead to the local men on the streets looking to avenge their women....attacking the migrants in the streets...going so far as to burn immigrant centres.... Now....I have a son in Sweden, from a Swedish GF of course....when I lived there..... the Swedes are a very calm bunch....proud of their tolerance..... very much so...so when THEIR local men get pjssed off.... what can we say?

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, seeder said:

Ive mentioned this before but will do again, London UK had an issue with the 'Muslim Patrol'.... who, near 'their' housing estates, would patrol the streets, beating up gay men, spitting at and assaulting UK girls who wear short skirts, or who show cleavage.... and attacking UK guys who will take their beers from a bar and drink it on the way home, 'on the streets' if you like. All of which is totally normal regular Brit behaviour....but 'they' took offense

Of course this then played out dramatically in Sweden...again, women assaulted and even RAPED in the streets.... a young boy RAPED in a pool with the immigrants excuse being..."He was desperate for sex"..... never-mind how the young boy has now been traumatised for life.....coz you know...the migrant was desperate for sex.. so thats OK of course isnt it? At least It was in HIS mind....

Which then lead to the local men on the streets looking to avenge their women....attacking the migrants in the streets...going so far as to burn immigrant centres.... Now....I have a son in Sweden, from a Swedish GF of course....when I lived there..... the Swedes are a very calm bunch....proud of their tolerance..... very much so...so when THEIR local men get pjssed off.... what can we say?

That didn't really address my post.

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Really? They gets homes, furnishings, free money, healthcare and an education, for ever?!

And who said the U.K. is a Christian country?

Edited by Likely Guy

1 hour ago, Arbenol said:

Correct, but out of thousands even a 'few' number in the hundreds

Surely the right to religious expression should be protected -

Surely OUR way of LIFE should be protected? Besides, if your version of religion is extreme, and intolerant of the land youre in,  then NO, that shouldn't be protected

you wouldn't want to live in a United Kingdom that did anything else, would you? Many of these immigrants come from nations that are extremely religiously intolerant. Shouldn't we all be better than that?

answered above

14 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Really? They gets homes, furnishings, free money, healthcare and an education, for ever?!

And who said the U.K. is a Christian country?

We celebrate Christ of course, and Christmas, thats not to say there are not other faiths in the UK. We are taught about Christ even in primary school

Prime Minister David Cameron will this year deliver his most religious Christmas message to date, calling Britain a “Christian country” whose religious values have made it a “home to people of all faiths and none”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-christmas-message-pm-to-hail-britains-christian-values-a6785021.html

Edited by seeder

Just now, seeder said:

Correct, but out of thousands even a 'few' number in the hundreds

Surely OUR way of LIFE should be protected? Besides, if your version of religion is extreme, and intolerant of the land youre in,  then NO, that shouldn't be protected

To relate this to the thread topic, I would agree with the Dalai Lama. The sheer numbers of immigrants over a relatively short period of time has created significant challenges for Britain.

But responding to your posts - how is wanting to build a mosque, or practice your own religion, an unreasonable demand?

I agree with you about the extreme elements. Britain tends to indulge them too much and not act to stamp out the hate speech (and crimes) that are committed in the name of their religion. I'm thinking that when you posted you had these people in mind, not all Muslims...........didn't you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seeder said:

We celebrate Christ of course, and Christmas, thats not to say there are not other faiths in the UK. We are taught about Christ even in primary school

I'm not opposed to interfaith instruction at all, but they still teach Christ in U.K. primary schools?

9 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I'm not opposed to interfaith instruction at all, but they still teach Christ in U.K. primary schools?

Yes. Some kids of different faiths have their 'own' schools

Schools must teach children that Britain is a Christian country
Nicky Morgan, the Education Secretary, says that there is 'no obligation' for schools to teach atheism as part of the religious studies GCSE

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/12070607/Schools-must-teach-children-that-Britain-is-a-Christian-country.html

12 minutes ago, seeder said:

Yes. Some kids of different faiths have their 'own' schools

If what you say is true, your country needs to learn what a free society is then.

That is: Freedom to practice your religion, as well as freedom 'from' religion.

Edit: In a 1880's U.S. census one of my great grandfathers wrote 'free thinker' under the religion category.

Edited by Likely Guy

4 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

If what you say is true, your country needs to learn what a free society is then.

That is: Freedom to practice your religion, as well as freedom 'from' religion.

Religious education isnt forced upon anyone, nor is being a Christian, with exception to that being most of us are baptised/Christened at some point after birth which can only happen if the parents choose it. Newborns clearly cant make that call

Primary school is from age 4 to 11. The school day is typically started with 'assembly' in a hall....words from a headmaster or teacher.....with a hymn or 2 sung, or at least it was in my day

No-one is forced to sing, no-one forced to pray... its just 'our way'. No doubt changes may have taken place in light of differing faiths at school.... but I cant speak about that, my primary school days were in the 60's/70's

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seeder said:

.... but I cant speak about that, my primary school days were in the 60's/70's

That's what I pretty much thought.

Mine too, but that was a hundred years ago. :D

• Like 1

OK found this from the Govt website

1. Overview

The ‘basic’ school curriculum includes the ‘national curriculum’, as well as religious education and sex education.

The national curriculum is a set of subjects and standards used by primary and secondary schools so children learn the same things. It covers what subjects are taught and the standards children should reach in each subject.

Other types of school like academies and private schools don’t have to follow the national curriculum. Academies must teach a broad and balanced curriculum including English, maths and science. They must also teach religious education.

https://www.gov.uk/national-curriculum/overview

3 hours ago, Arbenol said:

Arbenol - would you know the approximate number of refugees that NZ accepts on a yearly basis ? 

3 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Arbenol - would you know the approximate number of refugees that NZ accepts on a yearly basis ? 

It's a small number, but IIRC its relative in ratio to Australia.

• Like 1

There are literally millions of refugees in Lebanon and Turkey, who are fleeing the violence in Syria. Instead of allowing those people to come to Europe and get on the Dole, and get free housing, and whatnot, why don't we spend a couple thousand for each and arm them and send them back at ISIS?

I think instead of treating a symptom, we should treat the cause. Obama is just pis*ing around when we could have ended this war years ago with direct intervention. Of course, Europe could do the same, as they have more people under standing arms then the US does, when taken as a whole. 

Is it more helpful to house and feed people after they travel thousands of miles on foot, or more helpful to give them back their own homes?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Astra. said:

Over the next year, I believe it will be around one thousand. I don't know that for certain and am happy to be corrected. I guess that's the equivalent of UK taking 15,000  or Australia taking 5,000.

I'm not sure how that stacks up compared with other nations. Many here believe we can, and should, take more

• Like 1