Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kepler's field of view

toast

For those who dont know Kepler's field of view yet I have taken a screenshot from Stellarium , which also display by Kepler detected exoplanets. The area monitored by Kepler is just 0,25% of the sky (an area that you can cover with your hand on yr sprawled arm) and K. can detect planetary systems up to a distance of 3k LY, wich is roughly 3% of the Milky Way`s diameter. But even in this very tiny spot, ca. 3.285 confimed planets have been detected already.

stellarium-000_zpsgof1opvw.png

• Like 4

Thanks Toast, cool pic.It's amazing how many exoplanets they've been able to confirm.. Even more amazing is that they think billions more may be out there. It's hard sometimes to comprehend just how vast space is. We're probably smaller than a pin prick in all of it, if that. And thanks for that site. I wasn't aware of it and usually just poke around Nasa's site for a lot of this stuff.

• Like 3

Oh my, this is amazing. I definitely wasn't aware of any of this. That's something new! As Clair said, thanks for the website. I'll make sure to go take a look at it and maybe download the program as well. Very interesting! :) 

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing that toast. Stellarium is a wonderful and informative site.

• Like 2