Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Selling meat in pounds and ounces

rashore

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1340899/shop-starts-selling-meat-in-pounds-and-ounces-after-britain-voted-to-leave-the-eu/?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-FBPAGE-_-TheSun-thesun-_-20160626-_-News-_-502685506

A BUTCHER is selling meat in pounds and ounces for customers fed up of the metric system – after Britain voted to leave the European Union.

Gratton’s Butchers is giving customers the choice to buy meaty goods in either imperial or metric quantities following yesterday’s historic referendum result

Around here in U.S. the Sun is a tabloid..... Is The Sun in the UK a real news publication, or a satire or tabloid publication of some sort?

• Like 1

The Sun is a tabloid...supposedly only read by dim housewives and labourers, truck drivers....in the UK is a certain snobbery with newspapers, perhaps also because the Sun used to show a half page picture of a nude boobed woman every day, the 'page 3 girl'

The story made the BBC too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-36623784

The only time I was baffled by metric portions was in Sweden, when ordering a whisky in a bar I was asked how many centilitres I wanted. WHAT? In the UK we order either a single, or A DOUBLE!

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

I kind of thought it looked like the Tabloid Sun... Interesting that BBC picked up though.

• Like 1

@seeder

I usually get confused when watching boxing matches the UK and the fighters weights are announced in "stones" lol

I eventually stopped even trying to convert it to lbs :lol:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

@seeder

I usually get confused when watching boxing matches the UK and the fighters weights are announced in "stones" lol

Yeh that can be tricky for us when people talk about weight in kilo's.... UNLESS.. youre a gym user, where the weights have both Kilo's and pounds marked on them

Im about 15 stone now, or 100kg give or take... mind you thats probably the ONE thing we didnt really change among ourselves....any UK dieters talk in pounds... (sounds better to say you lost 2 pounds rather than just one kilo :lol: )

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, seeder said:

Yeh that can be tricky for us when people talk about weight in kilo's.... UNLESS.. youre a gym user, where the weights have both Kilo's and pounds marked on them

Im about 15 stone now, or 100kg give or take... mind you thats probably the ONE thing we didnt really change among ourselves....any UK dieters talk in pounds... (sounds better to say you lost 2 pounds rather than just one kilo :lol: )

Yeah we always use lbs in the states but most can convert to kilo's,but when getting ready to watch a big fight and one already has several beers in them and hears bla,blah,blah and 18 stone...That's a real thinker :lol:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

Yeah we always use lbs in the states but most can convert to kilo's,but when getting ready to watch a big fight and one already has several beers in them and hears bla,blah,blah and 18 stone...That's a real thinker :lol:

Anything around or above my weight of '15 stone'.... would be a heavy fella....

David Haye for example

DAVID HAYE’S weight was a career-high 227lbs 5oz (16stone 3lbs 5oz) ahead of his comeback fight against Australian Mark De Mori.

4736873.jpg

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

@seeder

Multiply the wt in stones by 10, add half again as much, subtract the wt in stones and that should give the wt in lbs.

wt = 15 stone, 15 x 10 =150, + 75, = 225,  -15 = 210 lbs

or, 15 X 14 = 210 lbs, but my way's easier to do in my head.

• Like 1

My scale can be changed from kilos to pounds to stones. Fortunately my sister had watched a British diet series on TV, because I had no clue what ST standed for. It could have been a chinese weight unit for all I knew. :lol:

• Like 2

Then there's gallons. A U.S. 50 gallon drum is the same as an Imperial 45 gallon drum.

Americans are so quaint. :D

• Like 3

Scandinavia has an odd distance for a mile.... if you ask directions and are told the shop is only a mile away, DONT start walking, get a bus!

A Scandinavian mile (Norwegian and Swedish: mil, [miːl], like "meal") is a unit of length common in Norway and Sweden, but not Denmark. It is also generally only used in Finland by the Swedish-speaking Finns. Today, it is standardised as 10 kilometres (≈6.2 mi), but it had different values in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_mile

• Like 2

Just give everything a name and cut out the confusion!

• Like 1

Weights in the UK are weird...New born babies are usually talked about in pounds and ounces and penis size in inches :P Years ago Kilometer signs appeared on some roads but after a public outcry they were quietly removed.

The kids thinking went metric ages ago but not the old folks...on a stall I ran years ago I had sweets marked up as 10 oz (ounces)....One little girl looking confused asked me..."What's an OZ??"

Edited by poohbear
  • Like 3

I was in my 20s when we went decimal re our coinage and it took a very long time before I stopped converting back in my head to £.s.d.  However, I still have to convert metric lengths back to yards, feet or inches to be able to 'see' the amount in my head.  I wouldn't mind going back to imperial weights and measures at all.  Probably a forlorn hope though.

• Like 2

I think it's a mixture of good and bad...metric measurements are so much easier than feet and inches...in woodwork for instance,but folks are used to the mile and the pint. Some trades have taken advantage as usual...the price of a quarter of ham (112 gms) stayed the same when it was suddenly sold in 100 gms.A sneaky way to boost profits.

• Like 2

Well in 2000, it became an offence to sell goods in imperial measures.  This was a draconian step in an attempt to bring us closer together to our European friends.  Is it any wonder that the leave campaign won when someone using an equivalency system can be taken to court?

I mean really, who cares if you have 1kg of apples or 3.3oz?

This has less to do with the system itself, more to do with sticking 2 fingers up at the EU.

Edited by Grey Area
  • Like 1

Very scientific I must say, very scientific... given all that mental acrobatics you have to do with imperial measurements you wonder why people don't use their brain more... or can't they because it is occupied by all that converting?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rashore said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1340899/shop-starts-selling-meat-in-pounds-and-ounces-after-britain-voted-to-leave-the-eu/?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-FBPAGE-_-TheSun-thesun-_-20160626-_-News-_-502685506

Around here in U.S. the Sun is a tabloid..... Is The Sun in the UK a real news publication, or a satire or tabloid publication of some sort?

The Sun is very real and has a customer base several million strong.

When I went to the shop yesterday I heard one of the other customers asking the Polish girl on the till why she hadn't gone home yet. There's a wave of nationalism going on here stoked up by the Brexit referendum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, questionmark said:

Very scientific I must say, very scientific... given all that mental acrobatics you have to do with imperial measurements you wonder why people don't use their brain more... or can't they because it is occupied by all that converting?

Not quite sure where this comment comes from or is aimed at, but perhaps engage a little brain power here?  In fact don't bother I'll do it for you.

The UK historically used the Imperial measurement system, The EU uses the Metric system.  The UK joined the EU, the EU said you must use the metric system, it then became an OFFENCE for retail to measure goods using the old imperial system.

Today, the vast majority of butchers and other related small businesses' customers are people of an age who still remember the imperial system.  This has nothing to do with being able to manage conversions and everything to do with people saying, you know what, we don't have to listen to you anymore! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PersonFromPorlock said:

Multiply the wt in stones by 10, add half again as much, subtract the wt in stones and that should give the wt in lbs.

wt = 15 stone, 15 x 10 =150, + 75, = 225,  -15 = 210 lbs

or, 15 X 14 = 210 lbs, but my way's easier to do in my head.

1 minute ago, Grey Area said:

Not quite sure where this comment comes from or is aimed at, but perhaps engage a little brain power here?  In fact don't bother I'll do it for you.

The UK historically used the Imperial measurement system, The EU uses the Metric system.  The UK joined the EU, the EU said you must use the metric system, it then became an OFFENCE for retail to measure goods using the old imperial system.

Today, the vast majority of butchers and other related small businesses' customers are people of an age who still remember the imperial system.  This has nothing to do with being able to manage conversions and everything to do with people saying, you know what, we don't have to listen to you anymore! 

The above. Don't know where it went but I quoted that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, questionmark said:

The above. Don't know where it went but I quoted that.

Oh.... Sorry....:wacko:

2 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

When I went to the shop yesterday I heard one of the other customers asking the Polish girl on the till why she hadn't gone home yet. There's a wave of nationalism going on here stoked up by the Brexit referendum.

Oh, seeder, do you really approve of this, or have I misinterpreted your 'like'?  I am not happy about the huge numbers of immigrants we have had to absorb over the last 15 or so years, but to think that those who are already here, legally, should be expected to 'go home' now we are no longer in the EU (in principle anyway if not in fact for a couple of years) is unreasonable.  I am more concerned that the immigrant criminals clogging up our prisons, and those known to have convictions for serious offences (or actually on a foreign countries wanted list) that are avoiding incarceration by being here, should be swiftly returned to whence they came.

59 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

Oh, seeder, do you really approve of this, or have I misinterpreted your 'like'?  I am not happy about the huge numbers of immigrants we have had to absorb over the last 15 or so years, but to think that those who are already here, legally, should be expected to 'go home' now we are no longer in the EU (in principle anyway if not in fact for a couple of years) is unreasonable.  I am more concerned that the immigrant criminals clogging up our prisons, and those known to have convictions for serious offences (or actually on a foreign countries wanted list) that are avoiding incarceration by being here, should be swiftly returned to whence they came.

There was another part of the post that I 'liked' that had been discussed

The Sun is very real and has a customer base several million strong.

About people going home tho....why are Brits who LIVE abroad now worried they might have to come home? If this country is your home, and you are legal and want to integrate.GREAT.... stay, be productive

2 minutes ago, seeder said:

About people going home tho....why are Brits who LIVE abroad now worried they might have to come home? If this country is your home, and you are legal and want to integrate.GREAT.... stay, be productive

Mostly because many Brits abroad are pensioners, and with every cent the pound looses their life gets more precarious.

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Sorry I misread your post. Please accept my apologies.

It does all seem to be turning into a dog's dinner - no-one seems to know what to do next or to be able to agree on anything.  I fear it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

• Like 1