Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jack Daniels was created by a slave

seeder

The slave who taught Jack Daniels how to make whiskey: Bourbon giant finally acknowledges the truth after 150 years

Story went that Jack Daniels recipe was created by white moonshine distiller named Dan Call who passed it down to Jack Daniel
    Now the brand have revealed it was in fact one of Call's slaves Nearis Green who taught the young Daniel how to distill
    'Uncle Nearest is the best whiskey maker that I know of,' Call had said
    Brand is celebrating its controversial heritage on its 150th anniversary
    Green's influence has been known to local historians for decades but was only recently acknowledged by the whisky makers

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3661296/Was-Jack-Daniels-created-slaves-Whisky-maker-reveals-secret-history-150th-anniversary.html#ixzz4CjuX55bE

• Like 4

Interesting story. And yeah, I too would question why it took them so long to acknowledge it. I wonder if the Green family would be entitled to any kind of financial payment.

• Like 1

It would be nice if the JD Company gave some compensation to the Green family since their ancestor got JD started.

JD's American Bourbon tastes like a nightmare flavored by bat **** mixed with marmot spit.

But, I can see how pride would compel them to bury the truth for such a long time.

• Like 2

They coukd use it for marketing. If they do it right they could get new groups of people to buy JD.

• Like 1

You better handle your stickers properly too or you might find yourself behind bars.

1920Green_Label2_Label.JPG

FOR MEDICINAL PURPOSES ONLY too lol

This is a neat story, but nothing more.  

I had a guy teach me how to make beer.   I taught my brother, he has tweeked it and now makes some good stuff.   He doesn't owe anything to a guy I used to know because that guy taught me.  

• Like 1

First off, and most important, don't drink anything from 10rc!! Secondly, real bourbon is made in Kentucky, anything is a a knock off.

Word has it that a Black slave woman cooked the first fried chicken (not a racist joke) in America. If so, we should build a memorial and a statue dedicated to her. Add a holiday to the monuments. I love me some KFC!

4 hours ago, Bama13 said:

First off, and most important, don't drink anything from 10rc!! Secondly, real bourbon is made in Kentucky, anything is a a knock off.

Jim Beam?   Tennessee doesn't qualify?  I thought that was close enough to Kentucky to count.

44 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Word has it that a Black slave woman cooked the first fried chicken (not a racist joke) in America. If so, we should build a memorial and a statue dedicated to her. Add a holiday to the monuments. I love me some KFC!

If it was Col. Sanders original recipe or something... even re: fried chicken in general I highly doubt that chickens weren't fried elsewhere long before this.

Oh and KFC...I wouldn't eat that anymore if I was you.   Not something you'll ever hear from your doctor, which would make for one hella unpopular doctor.   "Just do whatever you want, and whatever you get for the trouble, there's a pill for that." is the conventional wisdom. 

1 hour ago, Yamato said:

If it was Col. Sanders original recipe or something... even re: fried chicken in general I highly doubt that chickens weren't fried elsewhere long before this. 

You're probably right. It's a cool story, though.