Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gun ownership can be denied to domestic abuse

questionmark

WASHINGTON, June 27 (UPI) -- Gun ownership can be denied to those who commit reckless acts of domestic violence, the Supreme Court ruled Monday.

The 6-2 ruling, in which Associate Justices Clarence Thomas and Sonia Sotomayor dissented, upheld sentences of two men who argued their prior misdemeanor domestic abuse convictions should not deny them the opportunity to own weapons.

In writing for the majority, Associate Justice Elena Kagan noted petitioners Stephen Voisine and William Armstrong, each from Maine, argued their prior convictions were "based on reckless, rather than knowing or intentional, conduct and thus did not quality as misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence.

Read more on UPI

• Like 1

I guess we can get into the differences between assaults committed knowingly or intentionally and those committed recklessly.. but yeah whatever, domestic violence is violence. The real problem though will be with other actions that endanger the lives of others, such as driving and texting and how issue of gun ownership rights would be applied in those cases. But in this case, they got what they deserved, so tough bananas for those two.

Edited by Clair

8 minutes ago, questionmark said:

So wait a minute. Several years ago I went toe to toe with my neighbor. Due to the bazaar laws in AZ i was charged with domestic violence. Does that mean I cant legally own a gun? Not that laws mean all that much to me but still WTF?

• Like 1

lmao, the law is already on books for years,  again your attempt to pull sensation out of your a$$ failed 

• Persons subject to certain types of restraining orders; and
  • Persons who have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/fl/Who-Cannot-Own-a-Gun-in-America.htm

Edited by aztek

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

So wait a minute. Several years ago I went toe to toe with my neighbor. Due to the bazaar laws in AZ i was charged with domestic violence. Does that mean I cant legally own a gun? Not that laws mean all that much to me but still WTF?

There are many shades of grey here. The first would be: charged or convicted? Charged means nothing, convicted makes it a little darker. If convicted, was it a misdemeanor or a felony? Misdemeanor does not really count, if you are convicted of a felony you are screwed. And the third is: what laws are valid in the state you live in? And if that law seez all convicted of domestic violence you are also screwed.

Looks like I am not up-to-date anymore. See the link aztek posted.

Edited by questionmark

4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

convictions matter, not charges

Just now, questionmark said:

There are many shades of grey here. The first would be: charged or convicted? Charged means nothing, convicted makes it a little darker. If convicted, was it a misdemeanor or a felony? Misdemeanor does not really count, if you are convicted of a felony you are screwed. And the third is: what laws are valid in the state you live in? And if that law seez all convicted of domestic violence you are also screwed.

Charged and pleaded out, took an anger management class and it was supposed to have gone away buuuut apparently in AZ those charges are always on your record. 

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Charged and pleaded out, took an anger management class and it was supposed to have gone away buuuut apparently in AZ those charges are always on your record. 

Then you could have a problem.

4 minutes ago, questionmark said:

Then you could have a problem.

Interesting. I dont currently own any guns and would never purchase one that could be tracked anyways but damn thats some bull**** 

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

that is as good as conviction

Yeah I got duped. I was told it would be expunged and it would be as if it never happened, i totally would have gone to court had i known it wouldnt be. Live and learn 

Edited by Farmer77

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Interesting. I dont currently own any guns and would never purchase one that could be tracked anyways but damn thats some bull**** 

Yeah I got duped. I was told it would be expunged and it would be as if it never happened. Live and learn 

If you say guns, those rules currently applies to handguns (unless they are designed to use black powder... then for some weird reason they cease to be guns) not long guns. You can still walk into any Walmart and get yourself a rifle. No questions asked.

Just now, questionmark said:

If you say guns, those rules currently applies to handguns (unless they are designed to use black powder... then for some weird reason they cease to be guns) not long guns. You can still walk into any Walmart and get yourself a rifle. No questions asked.

Oh thats a little better. Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, questionmark said:

You can still walk into any Walmart and get yourself a rifle. No questions asked.

no you can not, you effing liar.

Walmart Has Tougher Policies for Background Checks Than the U.S. Government Does

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/07/walmart-background-checks-ffl-rifles-ammo-shotguns-fbi-nics/

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aztek said:

no you can not, you effing liar.

show me the law that seez that you have to get a background check to get a rifle please (unless in New York).

Just now, aztek said:

i'm not showing you nothing you effing liar. but i will bust your lies everytime you spew them

Because you don't have to show nothing when you make it up on the go to call others liars. We know... and I have shown that a few times.

lamo, you are effing liar.

Walmart, the nation’s largest gun retailer, sells rifles, shotguns, and ammunition in some 1,700 outlets. (It doesn’t offer handguns, except in the state of Alaska.) In 2008, the company adopted even more rigorous standards by implementing a 10-point code of conduct as part of a partnership with the gun safety group Mayors Against Illegal Guns. In addition to refusing default proceed sales, Walmart agreed to videotape all firearm transactions, require background checks for all employees handling or selling guns, and create a system to trace guns sold by the company that are later linked to crimes, among other measures. (Mayors Against Illegal Guns is an earlier iteration of Everytown for Gun Safety, a seed donor of The Trace.)

Just now, aztek said:

lamo, you are effing liar.

Walmart, the nation’s largest gun retailer, sells rifles, shotguns, and ammunition in some 1,700 outlets. (It doesn’t offer handguns, except in the state of Alaska.) In 2008, the company adopted even more rigorous standards by implementing a 10-point code of conduct as part of a partnership with the gun safety group Mayors Against Illegal Guns. In addition to refusing default proceed sales, Walmart agreed to videotape all firearm transactions, require background checks for all employees handling or selling guns, and create a system to trace guns sold by the company that are later linked to crimes, among other measures. (Mayors Against Illegal Guns is an earlier iteration of Everytown for Gun Safety, a seed donor of The Trace.)

and that still does not show that you need a background check to buy one. Try harder.

Damn it.

Edited by Thorvir Hrothgaard

19 minutes ago, questionmark said:

You can still walk into any Walmart and get yourself a rifle. No questions asked.

None of the Walmarts in my area sell firearms in-store (Noblesville, IN).  Guess you goofed again.  Try researching before posting your tripe next time.

• Like 2

I've always been required to pass a background check with any gun purchase, doesn't matter if it's a rifle, shotgun or handgun. Only private sales are excluded from that and the seller can get in some really deep **** of it's found they knowingly sold to someone with a criminal history.

• Like 3

Just now, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

None of the Walmarts in my area sell firearms in-store (Noblesville, IN).  Guess you goofed again.  Try researching before posting your tripe next time.

See aztek's post, it demonstrates that they do (although not in every area).

8 minutes ago, questionmark said:

and that still does not show that you need a background check to buy one. Try harder.

yes it does, you lazy liar,  NO, YOU CAN NOT WALK INTO WALMART AND BUY A GUN WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED,

Wal-Mart Sets New Policy on Background Checks for Gun Sales That Exceeds Federal Law.

Potential gun buyers nationwide undergo a background check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. The dealer can sell a gun, though, if the check isn't completed within three business days.

Managers at Wal-Mart's 2,600 American stores must wait until the check is made, no matter how long it takes, before selling a gun, according to the memo signed by company executives. The memo was dated May 31 and the policy is now in effect.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/710459/posts

the article from 2002, btw.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Ok, looks like I was wrong, in 16 states background checks are actually required for long gun purchases according to the FBI's NICS. But it is not a federal law.

So Farmer, if you live in Washington State, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, Tennessee, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Florida you will not get a gun  period. If you live in Nebraska, Iowa and North Carolina you will only get a long gun if the state justice has nothing on you. All other states won't ask questions evidently. Additionally there are city ordinances in New York City and Chicago that would not let you have one.

Edit: Missed a state.

Edited by questionmark

19 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

Walmarts in Iowa do indeed sell firearms. 

• Like 1