Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unexplained Lake District Creature Sighting

fae-sidhe

The exact date that I saw this creature isn’t known, I honestly can’t remember, but I believe it was in 2012. I was driving with my mother in the English Lake District, on our way back from a walk we often did in a rural area called Skelwith Bridge. I was in the passenger seat, my mother was driving. It was an overcast day, but viability was good and it was broad daylight. The road was very windy, and as we rounded a bend coming down off a hill I looked to the farmland on the right side of the road, where there were several small hillocks with trees on top of them. On one of these knolls, I could see the creature as described in the drawing, slinking up over the top of the hill.

I knew immediately that this was something abnormal, it just didn’t look right. It was grey in colour and quite large, probably about waist height to a human. It was very slender, had a greyhound-like head with a long muzzle and pointed, slanted-back ears. Its body was long and thin, more like that of a big cat than a dog, and it’s legs were long. It was moving in a slinky, cat-like way, and had a long tail like a big cat, it didn’t taper at the end like a dog’s tail. I've tried to create a sketch of it from memory, to give you a better idea of what I saw.

I only saw this creature for about five seconds before we rounded the next bend and it was out of sight, and the road was too windy and dangerous to pull over on. My mother didn’t see the creature as she was driving, but to this day she remembers my reaction to seeing it, and how disturbed I was by the sight. It was just too out of the ordinary to be dismissed. It definitely wasn’t a dog, or a big cat. it seemed like a composite of the two, but to my knowledge no such creature exists. 

If anyone else has witnessed anything similar, I’d love to hear from you. it was a very strange sighting and I haven’t stumbled across anything similar in any other cryptid reports thus far. 

photo_00511.jpg

• Like 1

I'd say it is just a breed of dog. I would go for a greyhound if you were to exclude the big cat looking tail.

One day I was looking out my kitchen window and saw on the wall outside  the most gigantic spider I had ever seen.  I was about the size of a softball.  I was going to snap a picture but then it flew away onto the wisteria nearby. What I had actually seen was a bird but due to shadows and lighting I thought it was a huge spider. 

I'd say you probably saw a dog.