Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dark Shadows at Night

candycorn1

It was around 10 p.m. before I went to sleep, I was wide awake and I saw a shadow that was unusually there. I would know this because I always keep a nightlight in my room. Each night I can spot these shadows and figure out what they might match up with (say the edge of my desk or fan). That night, there was an extra shadow. At first, I thought that it was linked to another object in my room that had been moved around or added in place but after I checked everything nothing seemed to match. I had began to worry, but I tried to relax. That's when I decided to take a good look at the shadow. It was about 3 feet long and dark that went from my door to the wall near the end of my bed. When I looked again, it had moved an inch away. I kept staring at it in wonder and then it started shifting slowly away from my bed towards my door and then it slowly started shrinking itself down towards the floor and then it just vanished. I'm not sure if this was an hallucination or if this was actually something connected to the spiritual realm? Also, when I was 12, I had this same type of experience with shadows like the one I saw recently. The only difference was that they were smaller (mini black blobs). That was also at night. I'd stare, look away, then I would look back to find out that they had shifted to the side or later on in the night there would be one more that had appeared, sometimes they would simply even disappear. Could someone please tell me their thoughts on what I am dealing with?

Edited by candycorn1
  • Like 3

Might be the results of fatigue and imagination. You might have consciously felt wide awake but that doesn't mean you really were. If these thing's are not bringing any harm whatsoever, then I wouldn't worry. Maybe getting on a before bed routine might help. 

Welcome to UM.

Edited by XenoFish
Spelling and grammer errors
  • Like 2

Lack of sleep combined with too much screen viewing will cause the same for me.

See if it happens again, if it does, please let us all know.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have to think fatigue first as well.  Usually the simplest explanation is the correct one.  BTW, welcome to UM!  Hope you have a long career of sharing and learning on the best site on the web.  There really are some great people here and something for every interest. :)

5 hours ago, candycorn1 said:

...Also, when I was 12, I had this same type of experience with shadows like the one I saw recently. The only difference was that they were smaller (mini black blobs). That was also at night. I'd stare, look away, then I would look back to find out that they had shifted to the side or later on in the night there would be one more that had appeared, sometimes they would simply even disappear. Could someone please tell me their thoughts on what I am dealing with?

Look up 'eye floaters'. I'm sure that we've all experienced a variation thereof.

"The simplest explanation is the most probable." - Sherlock Holmes

As well, welcome to the forums Candycorn. :)

7 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Look up 'eye floaters'. I'm sure that we've all experienced a variation thereof.

"The simplest explanation is the most probable." - Sherlock Holmes

As well, welcome to the forums Candycorn. :)

Yes, it could very well be.

I have an eye problem since i was 13 that makes me see lot of floaters as well as flashes of light. When it first started i thought I was seeing smoke everywhere. It doesn't bother as much anymore, doc says my brain has learned to ignore it.

• Like 2

Thank you guys for sharing your views on this. :) 

Sometimes I would hear voices calling my name and then to find out that no one was calling me. One time, before going to sleep, I heard a very audible voice that sounded like a little boy whisper to me, "He's watching you".  But throughout all of the replies, I figure that all of this is the result of fatigue. I will definitely search for a better sleep routine that will work best for me, because I do find it hard at times to get to sleep. It usually takes about 30 minutes, even up to an hour for me to finally drift off.

This might also be sleep paralysis as well. 

• Like 3

Seeing shadows in the dark ...... ?   Now I note that I often see things out of the corner of my eyes at night,  but I attribute that to the eyes trying to adjust and adapt to the dark and because I know there are objects in the room, so location and identification are going on at the time.  Now I did see something while waiting on a Calzone ....... in broad day light  I saw what looked like a dark mist that was see through ...... slide out of a corner booth and then like you it just melted into the floor ... this was a new building ...  but the impression I got at the time was that it looked like a really corrupted play back of some big individual sliding out of the seat .... even though there was no real shape to it.  So I wonder if materials can act like a VCR and record things, and like a VCR replay events ..... but conditions dependent determines the quality of the play back ?  Shadows appear when conditions are weak ... and more full bodied apparitions appear when   conditions are prime. Just a theory ....... but it's the impression I was left with.

Edited by Forever Cursed

Dude ........ readers digest version please........

Our eyes and ears are our worst enemies at times. Especially when you're in half sleep. I have heard sounds, and when I was fully awake, it never repeated, so I ignored as an imagining. Do you have drapes with small openings or are not fully closed?. So many things can be outside that cause shadows. If you feel truly spooked, just talk to the shadows and tell them they're bothering you and to stop moving around. Seriously, ask for protection by them from other things. They may end up comforting you. I have done that with a ghostly presence I felt in a previous house. I ended up telling them they could stay but they had to protect me from intruders.

I had a friend years who ago, who also told me they saw dark shadows appear when they were little and other things as well.
 I know many true ghost and paranormal tales.

I used to have dark shadows in my vision  when I was a kid and I was terrified of the dark because of them.   I learned to ignore them when I saw them and just thought of them as a quirk with my eyes.  When I was diagnosed with silent migraines as an adult, those shadows I saw as a child made more sense to me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2016 at 8:02 PM, candycorn1 said:

It was around 10 p.m. before I went to sleep, I was wide awake and I saw a shadow that was unusually there. I would know this because I always keep a nightlight in my room. Each night I can spot these shadows and figure out what they might match up with (say the edge of my desk or fan). That night, there was an extra shadow. At first, I thought that it was linked to another object in my room that had been moved around or added in place but after I checked everything nothing seemed to match. I had began to worry, but I tried to relax. That's when I decided to take a good look at the shadow. It was about 3 feet long and dark that went from my door to the wall near the end of my bed. When I looked again, it had moved an inch away. I kept staring at it in wonder and then it started shifting slowly away from my bed towards my door and then it slowly started shrinking itself down towards the floor and then it just vanished. I'm not sure if this was an hallucination or if this was actually something connected to the spiritual realm? Also, when I was 12, I had this same type of experience with shadows like the one I saw recently. The only difference was that they were smaller (mini black blobs). That was also at night. I'd stare, look away, then I would look back to find out that they had shifted to the side or later on in the night there would be one more that had appeared, sometimes they would simply even disappear. Could someone please tell me their thoughts on what I am dealing with?

I see these shadows also....I know it is totally bizarre but the first time I saw them I did not know what I was seeing. I thought it was some sort of pattern. The first one I saw looked like red lacy wall paper, then I turned my head and saw a small, white humanoid being and then I saw a shadow person. (My second shadow person i have seen) I was wide awake and have had alien contacts my whole life...the second time I saw the pattern all over my ceiling only it was a green color. I watched and the lacy squares filed in order and went out my window. I also see orbs and shapes. Last night my entire ceiling was wiggling worm shapes. I have been searching the web to find other people who have had this happening. I think it is alien in origin and not demonic or ghosts. When I get pictures the screen is totally scrambled pixels.

On 7/9/2016 at 0:57 AM, glorybebe said:

I used to have dark shadows in my vision  when I was a kid and I was terrified of the dark because of them.   I learned to ignore them when I saw them and just thought of them as a quirk with my eyes.  When I was diagnosed with silent migraines as an adult, those shadows I saw as a child made more sense to me.

It's amazing what you may see if you only bother to look. I suffer from migraines also, both kind but I have also had brain scans and artery scans and I am in good health, no abnormal brain things to report-so with that on the table....I have had paranormal experiences my whole life and now my sons are following in my foot steps. I have had a bizarro summer to say the least. From February to June I had massive headaches everyday. I had all sorts of tests and nothing came up. Then this summer I have had an explosion of paranormal activity. I think the headaches are related to psychic energy and the shifting of our planet. The fact that you were a child and saw things is because the mind of a child is open where as you get older and write it off as a trick of the light or whatever. I will tell you there is so much more to our world, we see 3D when there are worlds in 10D and beyond. I think you have the budding awareness and will realize your gift as time goes on.

On 6/27/2016 at 8:02 PM, candycorn1 said:

Hey I have the same thing happening...relax you aren't bonkers! I have been going thru the same thing and I am so happy to find this site and talk with people. For the record I have had paranormal experiences my whole life. I have suffered with headaches every day for several months and I had tons of medical procedures and brain scans which have come out NORMAL...hahahah....anyway I see things moving on my walls and ceiling, most are shadowy shapes but I have also seen red and green things. They usually skittle along the seams of the ceiling corner and go out my window, they come in at dusk and leave at dawn. I have seen orbs and shapes, spiders, worms and a dragon like creature. I can see "dead" people sometimes and I do not think these things are of that realm, I think they are alien life forms.

On 6/28/2016 at 8:54 AM, candycorn1 said:

Thank you guys for sharing your views on this. :) 

Sometimes I would hear voices calling my name and then to find out that no one was calling me. One time, before going to sleep, I heard a very audible voice that sounded like a little boy whisper to me, "He's watching you".  But throughout all of the replies, I figure that all of this is the result of fatigue. I will definitely search for a better sleep routine that will work best for me, because I do find it hard at times to get to sleep. It usually takes about 30 minutes, even up to an hour for me to finally drift off.

This might also be sleep paralysis as well. 

The voices may be your guides, when we evolve spiritually we gain abilities, we see and hear things we couldn't hear or see before. The sleep paralysis is part of alien abduction. This fits in with your shadow sightings. People will offer tons of explanations and you can believe which ones you want. Just always consider there are things greater than you can know.

On 6/27/2016 at 8:25 PM, XenoFish said:

Might be the results of fatigue and imagination. You might have consciously felt wide awake but that doesn't mean you really were. If these thing's are not bringing any harm whatsoever, then I wouldn't worry. Maybe getting on a before bed routine might help. 

Welcome to UM.

What if my cat sees it too and follows it and bats at it? Happened to me. 

2 hours ago, zim10 said:

It's amazing what you may see if you only bother to look. I suffer from migraines also, both kind but I have also had brain scans and artery scans and I am in good health, no abnormal brain things to report-so with that on the table....I have had paranormal experiences my whole life and now my sons are following in my foot steps. I have had a bizarro summer to say the least. From February to June I had massive headaches everyday. I had all sorts of tests and nothing came up. Then this summer I have had an explosion of paranormal activity. I think the headaches are related to psychic energy and the shifting of our planet. The fact that you were a child and saw things is because the mind of a child is open where as you get older and write it off as a trick of the light or whatever. I will tell you there is so much more to our world, we see 3D when there are worlds in 10D and beyond. I think you have the budding awareness and will realize your gift as time goes on.

Way passed realizing my gift as time goes on...not that young anymore.  The difference between experiencing paranormal happenings and the shadows are totally different, at least in my experiences.