Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada to end Mexican Visa requirement

questionmark

1 minute ago, rashore said:

Well yes, one can book a flight from Mexico City to a couple points in Canada. And wow, that's expensive, probably enough so to be cost prohibitive to the average family in Mexico. But what I was referring to was land routes like overland or rail for people. There are already strong routes for trade shipping, and I wonder how much potential there is in people transport along those kinds of lines too- since there does not currently seem to be much in regards to direct overland or rail between Canada and Mexico at this time.

Just click on the tabs and you will find overland routes, there is even a budget route consisting of a bus/train/taxi combination.

And yes, currently the prizes are high to fly from Mexico to Canada. But that is mostly die to the low demand the visa requirement has generated. As soon as there is a higher demand prizes are likely to fall as competitors will get interested in that route.

Now, if you mean a mandatory overland route: such a thing only existed in the former East Block. If you are admitted to the US of A on transit you may take whatever route you wish.

8 minutes ago, questionmark said:

Just click on the tabs and you will find overland routes, there is even a budget route consisting of a bus/train/taxi combination.

And yes, currently the prizes are high to fly from Mexico to Canada. But that is mostly die to the low demand the visa requirement has generated. As soon as there is a higher demand prizes are likely to fall as competitors will get interested in that route.

Now, if you mean a mandatory overland route: such a thing only existed in the former East Block. If you are admitted to the US of A on transit you may take whatever route you wish.

Lol Q, no... not mandatory anything in the way you suggest. Not even remotely suggesting that in any way, shape, or form.

I'm meaning what I'm saying in regards to people transport in a purely capitalistic way... There seems to be a lack in general of direct overland lines and rail for moving people between Mexico and Canada; there is a strong system of shipping though. I wonder if someone(s) will get opportunistic and utilize already existing land transport capabilities.

And yes, people can take whatever route they like. I'm not too sure I agree with you that air transport pricing would drop though. It would be an interesting trend to watch. And air transport lines opening up too if air travel became more feasible to more people in the future. But land transport can be less expensive, and there is a niche there that could potentially be filled quite easily due to some already existing infrastructure.

Where I live there is a lot of farming.  We have Mexicans coming here every year to work the harvesting.  If they had a chance they would stay year round to earn the wages that are so much higher than in Mexico.  Maybe some would try for the US, but from the ones I have talked to, they like the Canadians and how they are welcomed here.

• Like 1

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 9:17 PM, Clair said:

I don't know that it was stupid. Mexicans were really abusing Canada's refugee system, so chances are, they will do it again - especially if Trump gets into office. The only way Canada could stop them is to say yeah okay you can stay but you have to live in Inuvik forever.

In what way are they abusing the system? By working hard and paying taxes? I have worked with many Mexicans here and most of them are great honest and hard working people. The other ones were supervisors.:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glorybebe said:

Where I live there is a lot of farming.  We have Mexicans coming here every year to work the harvesting.  If they had a chance they would stay year round to earn the wages that are so much higher than in Mexico.  Maybe some would try for the US, but from the ones I have talked to, they like the Canadians and how they are welcomed here.

A friend of mine I went to school with back in 2007 was Mexican and her father was American. So she could legally move to the US. She either wanted to live in Canada or Mexico... But mostly Canada.

• Like 1

i'm sure you guys have immigrants from south america, however entire population of canada is 35 mil, population of illegals in usa is 30mil.  as per former mexican ambassador.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/18/30-million-illegal-immigrants-in-us-says-mexicos-former-ambassador/

i do not think we can even compare usa immigration vs canada immigration

• Like 1

5 hours ago, odas said:

In what way are they abusing the system? By working hard and paying taxes? I have worked with many Mexicans here and most of them are great honest and hard working people. The other ones were supervisors.:)

I wrote no such thing, nor did I imply it. By abusing the system, I meant those Mexicans who apply for asylum in Canada with bogus claims as to why they need state protection. Not all such applications are false, obviously, but Canada was having a difficult time identifying the economic migrants from the true asylum seekers. In other words, some who wanted to move to Canada for economic reasons would seek the asylum route (via false claims) because it would mean faster and easier entry - and that's what was ticking off the Canadians. Hence the visa requirement.

8 hours ago, odas said:

8 hours ago, aztek said:

i'm sure you guys have immigrants from south america, however entire population of canada is 35 mil, population of illegals in usa is 30mil.  as per former mexican ambassador.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/18/30-million-illegal-immigrants-in-us-says-mexicos-former-ambassador/

No, but I am saying that not everyone wants to live in the US.  I work with a gentleman from the Middle East who first immigrated to the US, but is now Canadian because he prefers our way of life.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, aztek said:

Per capita, yes we can.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rashore said:

And on from beef and into human transport... As far as I'm aware of, there isn't really any sort of transportation for the direct movement of people from Mexico to Canada? I mean, yes, take a car or walk or whatever does exist, but I mean more of a formal transportation service. Like Amtrak or Greyhound. So I can't help myself but wonder what kind of impact this agreement could have in the people transport industry.

Do you mean official transport or unofficial (i.e. smuggling)? There's plenty of flights from Mexico to Canada of course, but obviously that wouldn't a path that would be open for illegals. Are you suggesting it might be likely to be a big boost for the people smuggling industry?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Do you mean official transport or unofficial (i.e. smuggling)? There's plenty of flights from Mexico to Canada of course, but obviously that wouldn't a path that would be open for illegals. Are you suggesting it might be likely to be a big boost for the people smuggling industry?

I suppose there would be folks that would take it as an opportunity to increase their illegal people smuggling. But that's not what I meant- I meant it in the legal way.

The big difference between Canada and the US is Canadians mostly get Hispanics that obey the law and want to work but we get cartel members, people smugglers and other criminals.  Not that I am saying every last Hispanic that comes across the border is a criminal outside of coming here illegally.  I don't know how much of a problem gangs are in Canada but we have a big problem with them.  American citizens are murdered by them all the time.  Now we are getting people from the middle east as well coming across our southern border. 

MS-13 Gang Leader Murdered 14-Year-Old Texas Boy With Machete

CRIMINAL ALIEN STATISTICS

Look at the number of Hispanics on the FBI's most wanted list compared to others.

FBI Violent Crimes - Murders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashotep said:

Horned_alien_criminal.jpg

8 hours ago, Ashotep said:

The big difference between Canada and the US is Canadians mostly get Hispanics that obey the law and want to work but we get cartel members, people smugglers and other criminals.  Not that I am saying every last Hispanic that comes across the border is a criminal outside of coming here illegally.  I don't know how much of a problem gangs are in Canada but we have a big problem with them.  American citizens are murdered by them all the time.  Now we are getting people from the middle east as well coming across our southern border. 

MS-13 Gang Leader Murdered 14-Year-Old Texas Boy With Machete

CRIMINAL ALIEN STATISTICS

Look at the number of Hispanics on the FBI's most wanted list compared to others.

FBI Violent Crimes - Murders

Figured it would be nice to throw in some information from Canada to compare to U.S. statistics.. Both these PDF's are long.

Immigration and Crime report, Labor Market 2014: http://www.clsrn.econ.ubc.ca/workingpapers/CLSRN Working Paper no. 135 - Zhang.pdf

Impact on Canada, crime, wage, and diversity: https://open.library.ubc.ca/cIRcle/collections/ubctheses/24/items/1.0167568

On June 30, 2016 at 9:37 AM, aztek said:

muslims i believe, but mexicans, sorry i do not buy it for a second, data shows mexican immigrants are not even in top 10. link was posted few posts above

Mexicans come to Canada every year to work in the fields. The kind of seasonal jobs that nobody else wants to do.

In my hometown I've came across quite a few Mexicans, I don't know but more seems to have moved here in recent years.