Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Just in: Double suicide bombing in Istanbul.

pallidin

In related news:

Istanbul airport attackers identified as Russian, Uzbek and Kyrgyz nationals

ISTANBUL — The three suicide bombers who attacked Istanbul's Ataturk Airport have been identified as nationals from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan, a senior Turkish official said Thursday.

Turkish authorities did not release the names of the attackers, who staged a triple suicide bombing at Turkey's biggest airport on Tuesday, killing 43 people and wounding more than 230.

The identities exposed possible connections between Islamic State cells and Turkey’s large communities of workers and others from the Central Asia region. There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack, but Turkish officials have said they believe the Islamic State is behind the bloodshed.

Read more on The Washington Post

• Like 1

14 hours ago, philly said:

I am sorry for Bosnian Muslims, and I know how you feel. Being Muslim is an important part of Bosnian identity because the violence targeted them due to it. However, I also know that Salafists are gaining popularity among Bosnian Muslims, and people are getting more religious than before. Due to Syrian war, they are gaining power among Muslim youths in areas where folk Islam was once a mainstream belief. That is pretty scary for me. For me Balkanian Muslims and Turks are the "light" Muslims among all because you Bosnians are minority and have contact with  Christians as a dominant culture, this affect how you interpret the Islamic texts and how you approach the religion. For Turks, the state controlled religion for so long and created a soft version of Sunni Islamic traditions, trying to reduce Islam only as if it is about doing certain practices and being nice.  Moreover, Sufism movement in Islamic civilization, and other Anatolian or Hellenized Islamic movements in the area make Turkish or Balkanian Muslims stand out among others. Well, however, Islam is not all about Koran, there are hadith and sunnah which Sunni majority follows and that's where the problem starts. A reform movement within Sunni orthodoxy should start, more Sunnis who use logic and reasoning should stand against Asharite theology which literally denies logic, causality, reasoning etc. in thinking and understanding the world and "god" and denies to interpret the theological interpretations of religious texts with an 21 century perspective.

Since I grew up in Turkey, I know how headscarf became visible in Turkish cities. I did not see hijab a lot, but if someone wears it in Turkey, generally  they are  kind of hard core Orthodox Muslim, and most of the time pretty much intolerant because they are the majority. The funny fact is that headscarf in Turkey is an urban dress, historically women in small cities do not cover up like that, it has a very young history in Turkey, and I know it is in Bosnia as well. Well I hope all the best to anyone who does not support violence.

Bosnian muslims were lucky that we got Islam from the Turkish otomans and not from the arab. Turkish islam differs a lot from the arab one and was generaly way more tollerant to others. They saved the Jews from the Spaniards and settled them in Turkey, Palestine and the Balkans. Many churches have been builed in Bosnia and Serbia during the ottoman empire. We, the bosnian muslims, are well aware that our ancestors were Christians before that. My ancestors called themself the Bogumils or the Good Bosniaks and the Good Christians. Untill the ottomans myancestors were pushed by croat catholics and serbian orthodox to convert to either one christian beliefe.

Anyway, yes, there are now wahabis and salafists in Bosnia wich is not the bosnian muslim way of life and therefore the Bosnian Imams have expressed that they do not accept this kind of Islam and declared them as forbiden. Right now the salafists are iligal in Bosnia.

1 hour ago, odas said:

Bosnian muslims were lucky that we got Islam from the Turkish otomans and not from the arab. Turkish islam differs a lot from the arab one and was generaly way more tollerant to others. They saved the Jews from the Spaniards and settled them in Turkey, Palestine and the Balkans. Many churches have been builed in Bosnia and Serbia during the ottoman empire. We, the bosnian muslims, are well aware that our ancestors were Christians before that. My ancestors called themself the Bogumils or the Good Bosniaks and the Good Christians. Untill the ottomans myancestors were pushed by croat catholics and serbian orthodox to convert to either one christian beliefe.

Anyway, yes, there are now wahabis and salafists in Bosnia wich is not the bosnian muslim way of life and therefore the Bosnian Imams have expressed that they do not accept this kind of Islam and declared them as forbiden. Right now the salafists are iligal in Bosnia.

Ottomans were not really religious until certain point but they were not really tolerant either, that was more of a political approach, gaining power and popularity for advancing their territory.  First of all, it was an empire and would do anything to survive. I haven't seen any churches made by Ottomans in Anatolia,it was restricted to build a church in ottoman lands and during the Tanzimat (reform) era,non-Muslim populations were given the possibility of building their own churches and still in Turkey, you cannot build a new church, even Alevis' place of worship is not recognized by the state and with all taxpayers money, the state fund Sunni Muslims theological education, put mandatory Islam education to state schools, build and fund the mosques etc. through religious directorate which has a huge budget (bigger than the ministry of health). Anyway, those were the details, but when i was child, the Bulgarian Muslim immigrants came to turkey, and that period, they were very open minded, less religious, and dressed more modern than the natives. But in time, they got very religious and if you put their before and after pictures together, you would not even believe what you see. New generations are more religious than their parents and grandparents. So their "soft religious approach" was the result of power dynamics in the society and about being minority versus majority.  Even within Balkans, what do Sunni majority think of Bektasihs? Our Bektashi neighbor was pretending to be Sunni Muslim, and live his beliefs in secret not to be discriminated against among their Bulgarian immigrant community. So, it is not all about roses and happiness, there is a lot to do in the community, a lot of reflection, and a continuing effort not to be delusional about every criticism.  The problem in non-Arabic speaker of Islamic faith is that reading the Koran in Arabic, reciting words in Arabic etc. does not make them understand it. Nobody understand Arabic in the Turkey (except Arab community), but still Islamic clergy insists on reading the Koran in Arabic due to good deeds and emphasis on it as the central part of religious practices. I do not want to talk more about this but In turkey the talk was always about American imperialism,post-colonialism and spread of English, but what about the cultural and linguistic imperialism of Arabs, why reciting in a language you do not understand is praised over reading in your own language,why all Islamic geography Arabic names, Arabic greetings, Arabic clothing, traditions and practices are praised over people' native. traditional cultures and languages. Even in Ottomans, so called Turks, used a language mix of Arabic and Persian.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Turkish_language. Anyway, I hope that you guys would  never have another problem again, but keep in guard against Salafists.

O

Until Islam reforms its religion to better standers and behavior  of living this will never stop. There are a lot that are trying, but its takes unified  Muslims to do it.

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 0:20 AM, philly said:

Sorry I don't like to read relious propaganda about how evil the Muslims are and trying to promote an idea of  "us" and " others". Conversions and forced conversions are not secret to anyone,but it happens in Christianity too. Christians were at war with pagans and non-Christians for centuries as well. What makes you to believe that people lived without any religion and just waited Christ to save them ? did they accept it right away and change their way of life, thinking, practices and religion? 

Well, maybe Allah is promoting Trump for presidency, you never know what that fella in the sky is thinking!

But you acknowledged that Islam is at war right now as Christianity was with paganS? 

Well,not really, the link was about how Islam spread and it was about its domination in Anatolia as well, the life on those lands did not start with Christianity and those lands were not inherently belonged to a particular faith, so treating Islam only , but not Christianity as some very evil thing that stole christian land is pure nonsense, these two religions include pretty much similar passages and followed similar ways to gain power and majority.  Picking violent passages  from Koran or readings about its bloody history, but ignoring the similar violent passages from bible or missing the bloody history of Christianity is not fair. Well, anyway, you are free to think whatever you want. I stand with my opinion about not treating a whole faith as criminals or people who are at war with other religions and I really do not have time to write more about this.

There is a good reading about Islam, talks about its Hellenization process and deHellenization process.  https://www.amazon.com/Closing-Muslim-Mind-Intellectual-Islamist/dp/1610170024/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467407566&sr=8-1&keywords=the+closing+of+muslim+mind.

• Like 1