Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Just in: Double suicide bombing in Istanbul.

pallidin

At least 10 people were killed and dozens more injured when two suicide bombers attacked Istanbul's main international airport Tuesday night.

Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag confirmed the death toll from the blasts at Istanbul Ataturk Airport. Bozdag added that "around" 20 more people were wounded.

"According to the information I was given, a terrorist at the international terminal entrance first opened fire with a Kalashnikov and then blew himself up," Bozdag told Turkey's state-run news agency.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/06/28/at-least-10-dead-dozens-more-injured-in-double-suicide-bombing-at-istanbul-airport.html

• Like 1

Why do I hear Erdog raging against the Kurds already.......

Update - 28 dead, at least 40 wounded.

Edited by and then
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, and then said:

Why do I hear Erdog raging against the Kurds already.......

Update - 28 dead, at least 40 wounded.

Turkey is in a civil war with its Kurdish population and I also sympathise with the Kurdish struggle but terrorism is terrorism and should be wiped out. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

Turkey is in a civil war with its Kurdish population and I also sympathise with the Kurdish struggle but terrorism is terrorism and should be wiped out. 

I agree that killing innocent people is abhorrent.  I just think it's abhorrent no matter which side engages in it.  Killing unarmed civilians who are not actively trying to kill you is an atrocity. Many Kurds have been slaughtered recently and over the years while they have been fighting for independence.

• Like 8

I feel for those poor people and their families. This is getting to be too much. They've taken in so many refugees and are about 98% Muslim. What have they done to deserve this?

• Like 5

It is probably ISIS. Kurdish separatist groups generally do not engage in those kind of attacks. At Ataturk airport, before entering the airport, at the door,there is a security check and they check everyone  whoever wants to get in the airport. It seems that the police at the security check suspected the bombers and then they started shooting at the people.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

It could be ISIS still.  The Kurds aren't as big into suicide bombing.

I'm sure it also could be Islamic State too. In fact it more than likely is.

This is sickening - just plain sickening.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, philly said:

It is probably ISIS. Kurdish separatist groups generally do not engage in those kind of attacks. At Ataturk airport, before entering the airport, at the door,there is a security check and they check everyone  whoever wants to get in the airport. It seems that the police at the security check suspected the bombers and then they started shooting at the people.

They Have attacked an airport before and attacked a army convey

6 hours ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

Not sure that's fair. But I do see your point.

This fighting in these areas have been going on for a many many years. The only difference today is the weapons they use are more advanced than the machetes of old. 

See from  History:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurds

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr.United_Nations said:

They Have attacked an airport before and attacked a army convey

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

This fighting in these areas have been going on for a many many years. The only difference today is the weapons they use are more advanced than the machetes of old. 

See from  History:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurds

Military and police are the prime targets of PKK and other Kurdish groups. However, generally the fight between PKK and the army had been limited to the mountainous eastern and the southeastern part of Turkey, it took a drastic turn this year.

Fighting is going on in these areas for years as it happened in Spain with ETA or in Great Britain with IRA, but like in Europe, nobody used machetes to kill each other. That is the funniest thing that I have ever heard.

28 minutes ago, philly said:

Military and police are the prime targets of PKK and other Kurdish groups. However, generally the fight between PKK and the army had been limited to the mountainous eastern and the southeastern part of Turkey, it took a drastic turn this year.

Fighting is going on in these areas for years as it happened in Spain with ETA or in Great Britain with IRA, but like in Europe, nobody used machetes to kill each other. That is the funniest thing that I have ever heard.

it was a kind of tongue in cheek comment. fighting in these regions are not new, but the weapons they use are more advanced and kill a lot more, quicker than the weapons of old. There is nothing funny about that, in fact it is extremely sad state of affairs that they seem more intent on finding better weapons and finding bigger targets of innocent people, than finding peace.

Shame after all these centuries they still have not found a way of living peacefully, I guess we can put this down to their differences in their "peaceful" religion.

• Like 2

So much for all that that support Turkey gave ISIS last year. They seem to be hemorrhaging friendships lately.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

it was a kind of tongue in cheek comment. fighting in these regions are not new, but the weapons they use are more advanced and kill a lot more, quicker than the weapons of old. There is nothing funny about that, in fact it is extremely sad state of affairs that they seem more intent on finding better weapons and finding bigger targets of innocent people, than finding peace.

Shame after all these centuries they still have not found a way of living peacefully, I guess we can put this down to their differences in their "peaceful" religion.

The problem is political and it is not centuries old, especially for Kurds and that is the reason I gave IRA and ETA as an example as you are trying to draw whole region as a place where everyone regularly kill each other for centuries or disregard the whole political motivation behind the violence and oversimplify it as just religion.  I do not know which regions you are talking about, but  yes fighting in these areas, especially Islamist attacks is new in Turkey.  Islamism is used a political movement against communism and guess when it earned momentum , in Afghanistan against Soviets when the USA used them (also Pakistan) and now its like a cancer and spreading rapidly. 

As for religion, three Abrahamic religions are no different from each other. The older brother is Judaism, the younger one is Christianity and the little brother is Islam. They are from the same regions and based on similar cultural traditions and have similar rhetoric.Living in peacefully, yes most of the people live in peacefully, but there are of course differences. In the middle of the Europe,millions of Jews got killed, then in 1990 the victims were Bosnian Muslims. Can we assume that Christians do not know how to live peacefully with other religions, even with other christian sects, like the case of Molokans or we can clearly say that there is political reasons behind the violence? Historically, both turkey and the other middle eastern countries are multi ethnic,and  multi religious countries compared to the west and most of the time people lived peacefully side by side for centuries. Thus, what I am saying, political Islam is a problem, now whole Islamic culture and political Islam is 20th century issue. Depicting Islam as the only problem in this complex matter is just oversimplifying  and does not help.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, philly said:

The problem is political and it is not centuries old, especially for Kurds and that is the reason I gave IRA and ETA as an example as you are trying to draw whole region as a place where everyone regularly kill each other for centuries or disregard the whole political motivation behind the violence and oversimplify it as just religion.  I do not know which regions you are talking about, but  yes fighting in these areas, especially Islamist attacks is new in Turkey.  Islamism is used a political movement against communism and guess when it earned momentum , in Afghanistan against Soviets when the USA used them (also Pakistan) and now its like a cancer and spreading rapidly. 

As for religion, three Abrahamic religions are no different from each other. The older brother is Judaism, the younger one is Christianity and the little brother is Islam. They are from the same regions and based on similar cultural traditions and have similar rhetoric.Living in peacefully, yes most of the people live in peacefully, but there are of course differences. In the middle of the Europe,millions of Jews got killed, then in 1990 the victims were Bosnian Muslims. Can we assume that Christians do not know how to live peacefully with other religions, even with other christian sects, like the case of Molokans or we can clearly say that there is political reasons behind the violence? Historically, both turkey and the other middle eastern countries are multi ethnic,and  multi religious countries compared to the west and most of the time people lived peacefully side by side for centuries. Thus, what I am saying, political Islam is a problem, now whole Islamic culture and political Islam is 20th century issue. Depicting Islam as the only problem in this complex matter is just oversimplifying  and does not help.

Plus a gzillion more likes for your post.

If you mention the history of Islam, of course the history of other religions would come up, so there is no surprise right there.  If you read other religious book, you will see similar hateful writings in them too. Most of the Christians or Jews do not take it literally , and the question is why Muslims interpret their book literally and do no interpret it differently than 1000 years ago . The recent Islamist attacks is related to salafi movements.  The Salafi movements are the issue and you have to approach it  as a security problem and marginalize them., and fight with them. If you use religious rhetoric whether this is Islamic or not, the battle would be lost  because somewhere in religious texts, these groups will find scripts to justify their actions  since none of these books are the declaration of human rights. Being agnostic does not make you unbiased. Most of the Muslims  are Muslims because they born into Muslim families, and most of the time their family's Islam is just about praying on Fridays (most of them in turkey did not go mosque on Fridays either) and fasting in Ramadan, some of them literally Muslims in two times in year. Let me tell the funny part, I am a very real critic of Islam and Muslims, also an atheist, also from a religious minority family from Turkey.. all my identities and years of observations, experiences,readings and relationships prevent me to make bold generalizations and push me make a distinction between ordinary Muslims,and  Islamists, and I do not claim being unbiased. An ordinary Muslim might think fasting is good and a ticket to heaven, that's fine with me, but when that ordinary Muslim pushes that practice on me and keep me accountable for that  and threaten my life, well that's where I have problems. And we have to make a distinction between them.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, philly said:

If you mention the history of Islam, of course the history of other religions would come up, so there is no surprise right there.  If you read other religious book, you will see similar hateful writings in them too. Most of the Christians or Jews do not take it literally , and the question is why Muslims interpret their book literally and do no interpret it differently than 1000 years ago . The recent Islamist attacks is related to salafi movements.  The Salafi movements are the issue and you have to approach it  as a security problem and marginalize them., and fight with them. If you use religious rhetoric whether this is Islamic or not, the battle would be lost  because somewhere in religious texts, these groups will find scripts to justify their actions  since none of these books are the declaration of human rights. Being agnostic does not make you unbiased. Most of the Muslims  are Muslims because they born into Muslim families, and most of the time their family's Islam is just about praying on Fridays (most of them in turkey did not go mosque on Fridays either) and fasting in Ramadan, some of them literally Muslims in two times in year. Let me tell the funny part, I am a very real critic of Islam and Muslims, also an atheist, also from a religious minority family from Turkey.. all my identities and years of observations, experiences,readings and relationships prevent me to make bold generalizations and push me make a distinction between ordinary Muslims,and  Islamists, and I do not claim being unbiased. An ordinary Muslim might think fasting is good and a ticket to heaven, that's fine with me, but when that ordinary Muslim pushes that practice on me and keep me accountable for that  and threaten my life, well that's where I have problems. And we have to make a distinction between them.

Thanks philly. I am a bosnian muslim and I also have a problem with salafists and hardcore muslims imposing their beliefs, strange one may I add, on me.

But, if a muslim prays five times a day and wears a hijab it does not mean that he or she is a radical. We want to live the way we want and we should not hinder true believers to live thrir life the way they want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odas said:

Thanks philly. I am a bosnian muslim and I also have a problem with salafists and hardcore muslims imposing their beliefs, strange one may I add, on me.

But, if a muslim prays five times a day and wears a hijab it does not mean that he or she is a radical. We want to live the way we want and we should not hinder true believers to live thrir life the way they want.

That isn't happening in the US or Europe on any large scale.  At worst there is the beginning of a true, simmering anger by peoples who are sick of being targeted simply because they either are NOT Muslim or do not come from the same Islamic tradition.  The constant rhetoric by non violent Muslims that they are being targeted is simply untrue.  The only groups actually targeting them are - OTHER Muslims.  If we're going to be rational and fair here I think you'd have to admit that other religions simply do NOT cause this kind of hellish strife today.  Groups like CAIR in the US go into a near hysteria mode when a Muslim kills in a terror attack.  To date not ONE revenge attack has occurred in the US directly related to San Bernadino, Orlando or the few other smaller attacks that have been Islamic fundamentally based.  That may change if such attacks continue unabated though.  If it does that will be a tragedy since it's exactly what the filth want.

• Like 3

It doesn't make any sense why the free world and the moderate Islamic states  can`nt go in and alleviate these threats to the world. ISIS  are just a bunch of  thugs to deal with .

2 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

I think it's because there is no stomach by anyone (except Russia) to do what would actually be required.  Thousands of civilian non combatants would he used as human shields in places like Raqqa and they be killed in large numbers.  Once that city was retaken and the stragglers hunted down and killed there would still be this evil ideology tied to an ancient text that can and IS interpreted to suit an evil agenda.  No non Muslim force can ever end this conflict.  Until Muslims demand an enlightenment and become willing to fight and die to bring it about the best we can do is defend and fight the long fight.

2 hours ago, odas said:

I am sorry for Bosnian Muslims, and I know how you feel. Being Muslim is an important part of Bosnian identity because the violence targeted them due to it. However, I also know that Salafists are gaining popularity among Bosnian Muslims, and people are getting more religious than before. Due to Syrian war, they are gaining power among Muslim youths in areas where folk Islam was once a mainstream belief. That is pretty scary for me. For me Balkanian Muslims and Turks are the "light" Muslims among all because you Bosnians are minority and have contact with  Christians as a dominant culture, this affect how you interpret the Islamic texts and how you approach the religion. For Turks, the state controlled religion for so long and created a soft version of Sunni Islamic traditions, trying to reduce Islam only as if it is about doing certain practices and being nice.  Moreover, Sufism movement in Islamic civilization, and other Anatolian or Hellenized Islamic movements in the area make Turkish or Balkanian Muslims stand out among others. Well, however, Islam is not all about Koran, there are hadith and sunnah which Sunni majority follows and that's where the problem starts. A reform movement within Sunni orthodoxy should start, more Sunnis who use logic and reasoning should stand against Asharite theology which literally denies logic, causality, reasoning etc. in thinking and understanding the world and "god" and denies to interpret the theological interpretations of religious texts with an 21 century perspective.

Since I grew up in Turkey, I know how headscarf became visible in Turkish cities. I did not see hijab a lot, but if someone wears it in Turkey, generally  they are  kind of hard core Orthodox Muslim, and most of the time pretty much intolerant because they are the majority. The funny fact is that headscarf in Turkey is an urban dress, historically women in small cities do not cover up like that, it has a very young history in Turkey, and I know it is in Bosnia as well. Well I hope all the best to anyone who does not support violence.

• Like 2