Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gateway to sanctuary of Greek God Pan found?

Still Waters

Archaeologists in northern Israel may have unearthed a sanctuary of the Greek god Pan in the ancient city of Hippos.

Excavations by the Zinman Institute of Archaeology at the University of Haifa have uncovered a monumental Roman gate, which may have led to a compound dedicated to the worship of Pan, the god of flocks and shepherds, who is depicted as half man and half goat in Greek mythology.

The new archaeological find may help researchers better understand previous discoveries in the ancient city. Last year, the archaeologists discovered a bronze mask of Pan, which is unusually large compared to other such bronze masks of the Greek God that date from the same period.

http://www.livescience.com/55201-gateway-to-greek-god-sanctuary-discovered.html

• Like 5

Would love to see it in person. I wonder what they will find about the life in that Era and area

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Would love to see it in person. I wonder what they will find about the life in that Era and area

Me too. A monumental gate seems over the top for a God of Shepards and the wild though. I'm sure Pan would have been pleased though :) 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

Me too. A monumental gate seems over the top for a God of Shepards and the wild though. I'm sure Pan would have been pleased though :) 

Imagine the parties!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Leto_loves_melange said:

Not sure he would have been too pleased as to what followed....something no  god prevented.

But these finds are fascinating, to see the culture at the time and to see the changes over time......some major, some not so. 

Hippos was the site of a Greco-Roman city, which then declined under Muslim rule and was abandoned after an earthquake in 749.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippos

• Like 1