Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have you reached Zen yet ?

LostSouls7

I want know who has reached Zen, Nirvana , heaven? inner peace and bliss?
How did you find and get there? What was the path you took?
I just became a mage and a hippie and I am happy for the 1st time in a long time.

I am a hippie, peace be with you my son.

• Like 3

"Relax, nothing is under control". :)  This is true, except Nature is in control. There's a Zen saying,

Sitting quietly, doing nothing,

Spring comes

And the grass grows by itself.

Nothing makes the grass grow, it just grows. We sometimes have to make things happen, but when we have a certain quality of mind, when we are in sympathy and in harmony with ourselves and with our environment (society), what we make happen appears to have happened by itself, and it has, without overtly disturbing anyone. This is the Way of the Tao or of Zen.

It's like the difference between boxing and judo. Judo is the 'gentle way' of defeating your enemies.

In short, resisting a more powerful opponent will result in your defeat, whilst adjusting to and evading your opponent's attack will cause him to lose his balance, his power will be reduced, and you will defeat him. This can apply whatever the relative values of power, thus making it possible for weaker opponents to beat significantly stronger ones. This is the theory of

ju yoku go o seisu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo

This is having great power in life. Just knocking people around to get what you want is not virtuous and is a cowardly act. I guess I'm digressing on the subject at hand..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clair said:

S8xsiFR.jpg

A student was visiting a Zen master. When he was about to leave the master asked, "Where are you going?"

Student: "I'm going where it is changeless."

Master: "How can you go where it is changeless?"

Student: "My going is no change."

I think this means when you have confidence in the stability and  serenity of your mind it is much easier to deal with the chaos of life around you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LostSouls7 said:

I want know who has reached Zen, Nirvana , heaven? inner peace and bliss?
How did you find and get there? What was the path you took?
I just became a mage and a hippie and I am happy for the 1st time in a long time.

I am a hippie, peace be with you my son.

I run 3 miles a day, I focus on my breath, which calms me, focuses me creates the space in my head for clarity i often resolves issues I have under contemplation, ideas pop in. In the meantime, my endorphins kick in, which I experience as bliss, inner peace, or Zen. I call it running meditation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sherapy said:

I run 3 miles a day, I focus on my breath, which calms me, focuses me creates the space in my head for clarity i often resolves issues I have under contemplation, ideas pop in. In the meantime, my endorphins kick in, which I experience as bliss, inner peace, or Zen. I call it running meditation. 

Now that is wonderful! Yes inner peace is the key to reaching the Zen I love it.

• Like 1

By holding my hara at the centre of the Universe, extending ki, keeping my weight underside, and practicing no mind (clear blue sky), delaying gratification, withholding truth, checking the internal map, learning and teaching the work of the wand and the work of the sword ...... grasshopper ......     little hippy grasshopper.

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPGpbSKAXRM

Edited by back to earth
  • Like 2

• Like 1

Zen will have to wait, i am heading back to Bed.

• Like 2

Off and on, lately more off than on.  Should get back into doing my Tai Chi.

• Like 3

When I was about 14 I red "The Way of Zen" by Alan Watts. That made sense to me, as even at that young age, I described the way I felt about life. It was a recognition of someone else thinking as I did. Religion made no sense to me then or now.

I like Watts, Jiddu Krishnamurti, D.T. Suzuki and Shunryu Suzuki. On Youtube there's videos of Mooji I like, although he's a Hindu, not much difference, really.

The objection I see is, some become life-long students. I think there comes a moment when one should put the book down and just enjoy the experience. One needs knowledge to be pointed in the right direction, but the in the end it's not about knowledge, it's about a personal insight.

Just my thoughts, I'm no expert on the subject.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You may pursue zen and never obtain it, if you are zen you will always have it.

I agree, I think you have to be sort of born to it. Just to be interested in the first place means some disposition to the thing.

From my knowledge, Taoism (or Daoism, whatever) was a philosophy in ancient China, then Buddhism arrived and was combined with the Tao, which became Ch'an Buddhism, which became Zen Buddhism in Japan. From my readings, there is more Taoism in Zen than Buddhism.

One good book is, "The Tao of Zen" by Ray Grigg. Not the typical "The Tao of..." pop stuff.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Zen will have to wait, i am heading back to Bed.

Drinking a powerful potion,,, then a deep sleep in bed. is  forum of zen to me as well!

Not at Zen yet. Got on the wrong train at Crewe and missed my connection.

• Like 4

My Zen is having a calm and peaceful mind and watching everyone around me run frantically around in circles being self-consumed and creating their own problems. I just watch, though I can easily behave in the same way, and often do.

• Like 2

Seated in my chair.

Drinking a cup of tea.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2016 at 10:45 AM, quiXilver said:

Seated in my chair.

Drinking a cup of tea.

yes! I drink relaxing tea.. puts me in a state of inner peace.

On 6/30/2016 at 8:26 AM, StarMountainKid said:

My Zen is having a calm and peaceful mind and watching everyone around me run frantically around in circles being self-consumed and creating their own problems. I just watch, though I can easily behave in the same way, and often do.

I agree I am so calm about things. yet people run round like ants. I am like the bull sitting under the trees

just smelling the flowers.

• Like 1

If anyone was enlightened and with full inner peace, I'm reasonably certain they wouldn't be on this forum.

2 hours ago, Podo said:

If anyone was enlightened and with full inner peace, I'm reasonably certain they wouldn't be on this forum.

Why not?   Just because one is enlightened doesn't mean you don't have other interests. 

• Like 4

On June 29, 2016 at 0:39 PM, StarMountainKid said:

When I was about 14 I red "The Way of Zen" by Alan Watts. That made sense to me, as even at that young age, I described the way I felt about life. It was a recognition of someone else thinking as I did. Religion made no sense to me then or now.

I like Watts, Jiddu Krishnamurti, D.T. Suzuki and Shunryu Suzuki. On Youtube there's videos of Mooji I like, although he's a Hindu, not much difference, really.

The objection I see is, some become life-long students. I think there comes a moment when one should put the book down and just enjoy the experience. One needs knowledge to be pointed in the right direction, but the in the end it's not about knowledge, it's about a personal insight.

Just my thoughts, I'm no expert on the subject.

Great point, in the end it is about the experience. The Positive Psychology movement that has has **** as if Kate is basically a resurrection of Watts. The woman I am a companion for knew Alan Watts well. 

Edited by Sherapy