Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Tory and Labour leaderships

Space Commander Travis

As the Brexit drifts like a ship with no one in command off towards the horizon, I thought we might as well have a whole New thread for people, if they should so wish, to discuss the exciting prospects and/or imminent extinction facing the Conservative or "Tory" and Labour parties as they face the challenge of trying to work out what the :blush: they ought to do now. So here it is then, if anyone's interested. ^_^

• Like 1

Whatever happened to the Green Party?

• Like 1

Well, they're tlelling us that We must urgently mobilise to defend our rights & stand up for multiculturalism.

Green Party (@TheGreenParty) | Twitter

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Whatever happened to the Green Party?

They were trying to show us the grass is always greener on their side = then the council concreted over it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Well, they're tlelling us that We must urgently mobilise to defend our rights & stand up for multiculturalism.

Green Party (@TheGreenParty) | Twitter

Okay, scrap that. I think the only realistic solution is for me to start my own party ....... membership of which would, of course, be open to the quick and the dead. :)

• Like 1

It's hard to do a full analysis with so much going on at the minute, but some quick thoughts...

Tories - Interesting developments today with Theresa May and Michael Gove announcing their bids for leadership. Boris must wonder what's just hit him! At this very early stage, and having just watched May's press conference, I think she'll be the favourite. She certainly said the right things (don't they all) to try and find some common ground between the leave and remain camps, while commiting to the fact that we will be leaving. She'll probably also appeal to a wider audience than Boris can - he's likely still trying to pull Gove's knife out of his back anyway...

Labour - they're in far more disarray than the Tories ever were. A leader that's just had a massive no-confidence vote against him, chaining himself to his desk when his party are already moving his post-it notes and stapler out of his office... It's comical though, the party's primary reason for ousting him seems to be that he didn't do enough to support the remain campaign. What they don't seem to grasp is that traditional Labour voters (as I would have been twenty years ago) are likely the ones that swung the referendum to leave, and have migrated to parties like UKIP in the aftermath of Blair and Brown's "New Labour" shift of the Nineties/Noughties, cemented with the shift to the "Politically Correct Labour" of today that is more interested in championing every single liberal cause in the nation than supporting average working class families, the backbone of Britain. Anyway... *steps down from soapbox*

UKIP - Hard to say at the minute. They've just had a huge victory effectively, but it leaves two primary questions; What will be their driving force post-Brexit? And can they provide a strong manifesto to cover governance of the country outisde of the EU-related issues. I think whether they can grow from this point will depend a lot on what direction Labour take, and at the mopment that looks like either 'no direction' or 'down.'

Lib Dems - Do they still exist? :unsure2: An angry Tim Farron promising to ignore the referendem and refusing to invoke Article 50... hmm, the word "democracy" not in his vocabulary? Mind you, apparently he supports the legalization of marijuana, so we wouldn't need a reefer-endum... *bows* Thank you... I'm available for parties ^_^

• Like 3

Boris out of the running!

I can't even eat a bacon butty without the world spinning around! :w00t:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LV-426 said:

Boris out of the running!

I can't even eat a bacon butty without the world spinning around! :w00t:

Because he is smarter than Gove or May. The next PM will preside over a big recession.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, questionmark said:

Because he is smarter than Gove or May. The next PM will preside over a big recession.

Still spreading the doom and gloom huh, QM?

People might actually pay attention if they thought you were an informed and impartial economist, rather than someone thousands of miles away, who apparently hates my country for undisclosed personal reasons :rolleyes:

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 4

Just now, LV-426 said:

Still spreading the doom and gloom huh, QM?

People might actually pay attention if they thought you were an informed economist, rather than someone who apparently hates my country for undisclosed personal reasons :rolleyes:

We will see.

5 minutes ago, questionmark said:

We will see.

About the recession or the hate?

At least you don't deny the latter. It makes it impossible to take any point you make seriously though. It's a shame, as there's the potential for plenty of interesting discussion should you drop the bias.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, LV-426 said:

About the recession or the hate?

At least you don't deny the latter. It makes it impossible to take any point you make seriously though. It's a shame, as there's the potential for plenty of interesting discussion should you drop the bias.

Reality is not hate, it is just that: reality. Something certain people don't want to see and attribute it to some brain maxturbation as needed (hate being the favorite among the hating).

4 hours ago, questionmark said:

Reality is not hate, it is just that: reality. Something certain people don't want to see and attribute it to some brain maxturbation as needed (hate being the favorite among the hating).

That's not what I see at all.

Every single post you made in the Referendum thread, comments in the European Superstate thread, the threads you started on Irish passports, Gove etc., and now in this thread which you apparently want to derail on party leadership... you've clearly demonstrated animosity beyond an impartial perspective, not someone that is simply looking to find facts amongst uncertainty.

Seekers of "reality" also don't describe the possibility of democracy being denied, should the Referendum result be ignored, as "amusing."

I don't want to put you on ignore QM, as I did with Leto. I want to hear from all perspectives on these forums, but it's becoming increasingly hard not to when you're clearly displaying the kind of xenophobia which you purport to be against.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LV-426 said:

That's not what I see at all.

Every single post you made in the Referendum thread, comments in the European Superstate thread, the threads you started on Irish passports, Gove etc., and now in this thread which you apparently want to derail on party leadership... you've clearly demonstrated animosity beyond an impartial perspective, not someone that is simply looking to find facts amongst uncertainty.

Seekers of "reality" also don't describe the possibility of democracy being denied, should the Referendum result be ignored, as "amusing."

I don't want to put you on ignore QM, as I did with Leto. I want to hear from all perspectives on these forums, but it's becoming increasingly hard not to when you're clearly displaying the kind of xenophobia which you purport to be against.

Go ahead, I don't mind if people don't want to see what I have to say.

1 minute ago, questionmark said:

Go ahead, I don't mind if people don't want to see what I have to say.

Fair enough. Done

It's a pity you choose predjudice over reasoned discussion though. It seriously undermines any valid points you might have amongst the blind bias.

No surprise that Boris is out of the running to manage the mess he created. 

• Like 1

Oy, I am so fed up with this entire shambles. I've lost faith in everyone - the press, the politicians (yes I had faith in them) and the public. I've deleted my twitter, my facebook, and I'm refusing to look at any newspapers. I'm so embarrassed. NO ONE is coming out of this well.

Oh yeah, party leadership. I'd like Tom Watson for Labour and Ruth Davidson for the Tories please (not that she's even been asked). I hate Boris, Gove and May. They're totally clueless and out of touch. Corbyn is a family friend but is far too principled, and will never get in to power being that left wing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

Oy, I am so fed up with this entire shambles. I've lost faith in everyone - the press, the politicians (yes I had faith in them)

What, only now? You mean you had faith in them up until now? :blush:

18 hours ago, questionmark said:

Yes, I've never been clear why you seem to have such a deep animosity towards the UK (or perhaps England, I should say). I suppose you might have your own reasons for being so tremendously pro-EU, but you really do seem to devote a tremendous amount of time telling citizens of another country how stupid and racist, etc, they all are. If you weren't currently in Iowa I'd assume that you worked for the European Parliament or one of its many manifestations.

• Like 2

I hear that Michael Gove is going to release his Vision for the country. I can hardly wait! :sk

What are you bawstards doing to the "old Dart" over there ? Out here in the colonies, we are looking far better placed to become a southern Chinese province, before you get your euro act together !

5 hours ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

Yes, I've never been clear why you seem to have such a deep animosity towards the UK (or perhaps England, I should say). I suppose you might have your own reasons for being so tremendously pro-EU, but you really do seem to devote a tremendous amount of time telling citizens of another country how stupid and racist, etc, they all are. If you weren't currently in Iowa I'd assume that you worked for the European Parliament or one of its many manifestations.

Just because I am naming the things as what they are does not mean that there is any animosity. If you guys just did the dumbest thing since drilling a hole into the bottom of a boat to get the water out on high seas does not mean I wish you ill... it just means that I am amused at so much ... lets calls it lack of vision.

For me, the Conservative party has just evolved into club for the Yahoo boys from public school.Winston Churchill would be rolling in his grave if he could see the state of his party now.Alas there are no more true statesman.

As for Labour they just shed their sheep's clothing.

10 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Oy, I am so fed up with this entire shambles. I've lost faith in everyone - the press, the politicians (yes I had faith in them) and the public. I've deleted my twitter, my facebook, and I'm refusing to look at any newspapers. I'm so embarrassed. NO ONE is coming out of this well.

Oh yeah, party leadership. I'd like Tom Watson for Labour and Ruth Davidson for the Tories please (not that she's even been asked). I hate Boris, Gove and May. They're totally clueless and out of touch. Corbyn is a family friend but is far too principled, and will never get in to power being that left wing.

I hate and detest Tom Watson for the way he hounded poor Leon Brittan to the grave knowing there was no evidence, the mans ugly inside and out.

I'm afraid I don't think I've ever heard of any of the potential Labour niminees. Teresa May and Michael Gove may not have stellar brand recognition, but I expect at least a fair proportion of the electorate has probably at least heard of them.

• Like 1