Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unprecedented? - Jet Stream Crosses Equator

angelsmoke

I saw this yesterday. Im not sure if this is for real and if this will impact anything.

It seems June 27th is when this first happened....thoughts

Original Sources:

https://robertscribbler.com/

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/250hPa/equirectangular/loc=-145.222,0.652

Edited by angelsmoke
  • Like 1

I think this is bad....:P

The jet stream crossing the equator might be unprecedented, but only as far as our records go.  Until just recently we weren't able to tell if the jet stream crossed the equator, so we don't have that many records.  This could well be normal variation.

Doug

52 minutes ago, rashore said:

I was going to ask what the Washington Post knows about it, but apparently, they know quite a bit.

Doug

This type of climate research is still in its infancy, that is, being able to measure and chart these rivers of air above our planet. It is quite possible that this occurred from time to time but before the instrumentation we were unaware of it. 

If some permanent crossing of these air masses across the equator occurred it would certainly change climate in unknown ways, but this may be a rare event. Time will tell. 

Definitely a rare event - but nothing to get too worked up about.  I am sure this has happened before, and will happen again at some point - keep your fingers crossed.