Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gove for PM!

questionmark

LONDON – The question of who will lead Britain into its future outside the European Union — a muddled mess for nearly a week — was further scrambled on Thursday, with the camp that had favored an exit splintering into warring tribes in a development that could complicate former London mayor Boris Johnson’s path to become prime minister.

With the deadline for entering the contest to occupy 10 Downing Street just hours away, the race had been shaping up as a likely standoff between Johnson, the mop-headed rogue who favored “leave” and Theresa May, the no-nonsense domestic security chief who had backed “remain.”

But Michael Gove, the bookish Justice Secretary who was regarded as the intellectual architect of the “leave” campaign, shocked the country’s political establishment Thursday morning by announcing that he, too, would enter the fray.

Read more on The Washington Post

Edited by questionmark

Well Boris is the more charismatic of the two but Gove is the brain and is less divisive amongst Conservative MPs.

I think Gove would make the better Prime Minister, isn't this exciting...

Since I'm not from there, and haven't really followed this topic to know any better.

Is this something you guys anticipated happening at all after the vote? The potential for the current PM to step down, and having to face a jockey race for who's next PM? Or was that not even a notion before the vote, and this is all a total surprise?

5 minutes ago, rashore said:

Since I'm not from there, and haven't really followed this topic to know any better.

Is this something you guys anticipated happening at all after the vote? The potential for the current PM to step down, and having to face a jockey race for who's next PM? Or was that not even a notion before the vote, and this is all a total surprise?

What seemingly was a surprise is that people actually voted for Brexit. The PM resigned and all the Brexiters (except Farage) went into hiding. Farage was very busy on rowing back on promises made during the campaign.

Since then it seems that all are trying to come to terms with the whole thing.

The most surprising aspect is that Mr. Johnson's #2 came out calling Johnson "incapable of leading" and is running now. Gove's declaration has then prompted Johnson to get out of the ring.

I don't know why I am reminded of one of the more turbulent episodes of Dallas... I just can't make out which one them is JR and which one Bobby.

1 minute ago, Child of Bast said:

I don't know how reliable Buzzfeed is, but they seem to be indicating that Boris Johnson has withdrawn his bid for PM.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/live-updates-jeremy-corbyn-faces-wave-of-shadow-cabinet-resi?utm_term=.gx8ozJ7p6g#.iewvR7bpWz

Not only reported by buzzfeed but by about every reliable news source on the planet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, questionmark said:

What seemingly was a surprise is that people actually voted for Brexit. The PM resigned and all the Brexiters (except Farage) went into hiding. Farage was very busy on rowing back on promises made during the campaign.

Since then it seems that all are trying to come to terms with the whole thing.

The most surprising aspect is that Mr. Johnson's #2 came out calling Johnson "incapable of leading" and is running now. Gove's declaration has then prompted Johnson to get out of the ring.

I don't know why I am reminded of one of the more turbulent episodes of Dallas... I just can't make out which one them is JR and which one Bobby.

He said Boris doesnt have his act together behind the scenes.

Boris is also divisive inside the Tory party. If Gove makes it to the final against May he will win as then its the members who vote which one they want for PM

Edited by RabidMongoose

isn't it excellent news. Not only will there be no charismatic PM, but possibly even no government at all to :blush: everything up, at least for perhaps the rest of the year. There may be no one to introduce "Austerity Budgets", or fart about in other countries' affairs, or talk with absurdly lunatic belligerence to leaders of immeasurably more powerful countries... Really the only thing a PM is needed for is to shake the hand of whichever President happens to be visiting, and I'm sure that Mr whatever his name is, Gove, would be willing to do that.

So it's Gove vs. May. Not exactly a battle of charisma then...

I disagreed with everything Boris Johnson said during the campaign. It was clearly just jumping on a bandwagon to further his own career. Now it's backfired and he doesn't want to deal with it.

Coward.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Setton said:

So it's Gove vs. May. Not exactly a battle of charisma then...

I disagreed with everything Boris Johnson said during the campaign. It was clearly just jumping on a bandwagon to further his own career. Now it's backfired and he doesn't want to deal with it.

Coward.

You mean like in: first he causes the mess and then he won't clean up behind himself?

I see the problem being more that he really does not have the required experience nor the knowledge to run what comes after Brexit. I am not sure about May and Gove either, but at least they have spent most of their lives in politics, not writing scantly true opinion pieces, so they maybe are slightly better in uncharted and shark infested waters.

• Like 1

It's a major stab in the back that Gove has performed on Johnson today after the pair stood side by side during the referendum campaign.

It seems like it's almost certainly going to be May who will win the race to become PM, and Gove will likely become in charge of the new "ministry for Brexit" she has promised to set up.

I'd like to see Andrea Leadsom, though, become PM. I thought she was great for the Leave campaign during campaigning.

Edited by Black Monk

By the way, it was Black Watch tartan that May was wearing during her speech this morning.

That's it! I've got it! Hire D. J. Trump! From what QM keeps telling us, he won't be doing anything after November, and the Tories could struggle along with some sort of caretaker leader until then! He'd be just the thing! 

2 minutes ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

That's it! I've got it! Hire D. J. Trump! From what QM keeps telling us, he won't be doing anything after November, and the Tories could struggle along with some sort of caretaker leader until then! He'd be just the thing! 

You want more calamity than the Brexit? Have your compatriots done anything to you to have all that wrath?

Oh come on, if America is going to appoint Hillary R. Clinton, there'll have to be someone to add a bit of fun. Can you imagine Teresa May meeting Hillary? 

2 hours ago, Black Monk said:

It's a major stab in the back that Gove has performed on Johnson today after the pair stood side by side during the referendum campaign.

I'll say! It's getting like Game of Thrones...

All we need is for Scotland to freeze over and I'm getting some "Winter is Coming" T-shirts printed up :w00t:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Black Monk said:

It seems like it's almost certainly going to be May who will win the race to become PM, and Gove will likely become in charge of the new "ministry for Brexit" she has promised to set up.

I'd like to see Andrea Leadsom, though, become PM. I thought she was great for the Leave campaign during campaigning.

Johnson is running so fast from the mess he created it would be impossible for Gove to even reach Boris let alone stab him. 

Well I can see how this is gonna play out... May is pro remain so with any luck she'll be elected to the PM's job and Britain will have a logical head to deal with the Brexit drama.

5 hours ago, LV-426 said:

I'll say! It's getting like Game of Thrones...

Haha - I think people and life in general is like a Game of Thrones.

images_44.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Astra. said:

images_44.jpg

I think GoT is being a bit over used in describing current culture and maybe "The Walking Dead" is more accurate...

All the current bigger and bigger gov lovers act as if they would be nothing but brain dead monsters without their masters holding their hands on a daily basis!

Yes they need "Brainnnnns" to survive off of because it seems they are barely in control of their own :whistle::lol:

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CrimsonKing said:

I think GoT is being a bit over used in describing current culture and maybe "The Walking Dead" is more accurate...

All the current bigger and bigger gov lovers act as if they would be nothing but brain dead monsters without their masters holding their hands on a daily basis!

Yes they need "Brainnnnns" to survive off of because it seems they are barely in control of their own :whistle::lol:

I certainly think you may be onto something there CK :tu:

I think 'William Shakespeare' also summed it up well in this small insert from his famous poem.

"All the worlds a Stage;                                        
And all the men and women merely players"

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Astra. said:

I certainly think you may be onto something there CK :tu:

I think 'William Shakespeare' also summed it up well in this small insert from his famous poem.

"All the worlds a Stage;                                        
And all the men and women merely players"

Even better said ma'am :tu:

All that book learn'in just stuns free thankin folk... :lol:

We have so many extremly smart people here on UM,i just hate when i read government playbooks being spit out of some mouths...

It's just discouraging to true democracy and power of the people.Meh...

• Like 2

On 1 July 2016 at 1:52 AM, Black Monk said:

I doubt that Boris Johnson was brexecuted by uninspiring Gove. Boris waited far too long and invested far too much in positioning himself for the tory leadership and the leave vote to just willing kneel and stretch his neck for unelectable Gove to draw a political blade across it. Cameron, by resigning without triggering article 50 was the poison chalice that sealed the political fate of Boris imo. Boris choked and thats all she wrote. Probably the only cleaver thing that Cameron did. And if Gove is really a Arya Stark political assassin type, then May would be a fool to not push him to the backbench... at least i would. 

Do you think the absence of any strong political leaders, Black Monk, means the blood letting on all sides of politics will continue and a general election will have to be triggered for a ruling mandate to sort out this mess or will it be business as usual?   

23 hours ago, Astra. said:

images_44.jpg

Love that show. Did a bit of googling and found this interesting article about Lena Headey who plays Cersei Lannister and what she's about when not playing ruthless Cercei.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/210079/article/ekathimerini/community/games-of-thrones-stars-blast-politicians-over-refugees

Show's what a great actress she is.