Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Active Shooter At Andrews AFB

susieice

Reports of an active shooter at Andrews Air Force Base are starting to come in. The base is currently on lockdown.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/286091-andrews-air-force-base-on-lockdown-after-report-of-active

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Joint-Base-Andrews-Under-Lockdown-385027091.html

Edited by susieice

At first, they thought it was a false report. Now they are saying it is real.

• Like 1

I've heard conflicting, confusing reports since this began.

Who knows at this point?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZZ430 said:

I've heard conflicting, confusing reports since this began.

Who knows at this point?

As we learned over and over the last few years, don't take any of the media's first reports too seriously. That's how vicious rumors get started.

It seems to be that Andrews today was to hold an Active Shooter Training. If somebody wanted to go on a rampage there today he definitely should not play lottery.

I read that someone freaked out when they saw someone or some people outside with rifles. Which were most likely part of the drill.

Here's guessing this is 'jitters'...someone just wasn't aware of the drill and called 'real world'.

• Like 1

and in related news:

Report of active shooter at Joint Base Andrews is unfound

A lockdown has mostly been lifted at Joint Base Andrews in Prince George’s County following an earlier report of an active shooter on the sprawling military campus that is home to Air Force one, according to the base’s Facebook page.

All personnel had been directed to shelter in place after the report of an active shooter at the Malcolm Grow Medical Facility around 9 a.m., but that order was rescinded basewide about 10:40 a.m. The lockdown remained in place at the base’s medical facility.

A federal official said there was “not a shooter,” and the confusion is believed to have stemmed from a drill happening at the same time. The official said someone in a different building saw the drill and called 911, and because of that call, authorities treated it as a real incident.

Read more on The Washington Post

Guess somebody did not get the exercise memo....

• Like 1

Base lockdowns happen even when it's something like a shoplifter grabbing something and running out of the Base or Post exchange, or an abusive spouse runs from police who came to someone's quarters for a domestic event. I know, because I and the rest of the base would have to stay where we were, when it occurs. On the few bases that we lived and go on in the past, everyone had a couple of lock downs. I remember twice being stuck in traffic. A couple of times, just on my way to go to my car, and having to stand where I was, because of a lock down. Having a lock down for something that is thought of as a threat, I think I'm not surprised happened. 

I would have heard something, since my hubby who is military retired, but is working as a civilian in a military office. Plus, CNN or other media is not talking about it. I would agree with the others here, looks like someone thought a training session was something else. 

7 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

. I would agree with the others here, looks like someone thought a training session was something else. 

or did so on purpose, shootings are so good for antigun agenda. 

I saw the report right before I had to leave and I've been at work all day Didn't hear anymore about this. Glad to hear it was just a false alarm. Another good thing that came out of this is that someone saw something out of place and reported it right away. They obviously didn't know about the drill, but still, it could have gone the other way.