Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

500-year-old 'vampire' on display

jethrofloyd

500-year-old 'vampire' on display in museum after the body was found pierced with a stake

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/500-year-old-vampire-display-8318332

The skeleton of a 'vampire ' buried in the 16th century has been unveiled as a museum exhibition.

A collection of bones were discovered two years ago in northern Poland that had the tell-tale markings of a vampire burial ritual.

Experts determined they were the remains of a man after the finding in an ancient cemetery in the town of Kamien Pomorski.

• Like 2

Well, lets just clarify, this is no 500 year old vampire, just some poor soul who fell victim to ignorant beliefs, we had the same sort of thing here where innocent women where killed because some folk decided  they were witches.

Luckily we have moved on in the west from these cruel and barbaric beliefs ( as far as we know). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Well, lets just clarify, this is no 500 year old vampire, just some poor soul who fell victim to ignorant beliefs, we had the same sort of thing here where innocent women where killed because some folk decided  they were witches.

Luckily we have moved on in the west from these cruel and barbaric beliefs ( as far as we know). 

That's exactly what I would expect a modern day vampire, witch, werewolf, or elf to say...

• Like 7

Just because you found evidence of a murder, does not prove the victim was a vampire or witch or anything else.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jarocal said:

That's exactly what I would expect a modern day vampire, witch, werewolf, or elf to say...

Hmm...which one do you think i am? And if you say elf i will sue you. :rofl:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Columbo said:

Just because you found evidence of a murder, does not prove the victim was a vampire or witch or anything else.

Obviously not. But those who buried him might have thought so. There's also a possible other explanation. Whilst  they did not think the person a vampire, they could have been afraid he might become one AFTER death. The following explains some of this, and the things people did to prevent corpses from reanimating:

http://www.livescience.com/48924-mystery-of-vampire-burials-solved.html

• Like 4

On June 30, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Jarocal said:

What about a mummy? Mummies are cooler than vampires anyway (and have the added benefit of being real).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Clair said:

Obviously not. But those who buried him might have thought so. There's also a possible other explanation. Whilst  they did not think the person a vampire, they could have been afraid he might become one AFTER death. The following explains some of this, and the things people did to prevent corpses from reanimating:

http://www.livescience.com/48924-mystery-of-vampire-burials-solved.html

Hmmmm, I see. So are you saying you believe they were vampires?

6 minutes ago, Columbo said:

Hmmmm, I see. So are you saying you believe they were vampires?

I dunno. I never met any of them. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Clair said:

I dunno. I never met any of them. :)

That you are aware of....(smiles.)

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 7:46 PM, kmt_sesh said:

What about a mummy? Mummies are cooler than vampires anyway (and have the added benefit of being real).

Mummies are cooler but vampires get better press because they have better tailors

• Like 1

On 6/30/2016 at 7:05 PM, Columbo said:

It also doesn't mean they're not.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

As a fan of the movie Lost Boys I know that all vampires were teens in the 1980's, so there couldn't have been a vampire around that long ago.  If there was I'm sure someone would have stabbed a wooden stake through his heart into an old stereo.

My wife however is a Twilight fan so she would disagree with me on this.

Not the only one they have dug up......

LINK - 'Vampire' unearthed from Venice plague grave 

Italian researchers believe they have found the remains of a female "vampire" in Venice, buried with a brick jammed between her jaws to prevent her feeding on victims of a plague which swept the city in the 16th century.

1620168-3x2-340x227.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/30/2016 at 0:35 PM, freetoroam said:

Nah he was a vegetarian who drew the ire of the carnivores.

Werewolves are the coolest. There is no contest. Have you seen the abs and tanned skin............