Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Monsanto "Compromise"

Yamato

(NaturalNews) While UK citizens were revolting en masse against bureaucratic rule in Europe, another cabal of prostituted lawmakers were busy plotting against American food consumers. According to this announcement from the United States Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry, committee leaders have reached a "bipartisan agriculture biotechnology compromise solution."

What exactly is this so-called "compromise?"

The complete banning of all GMO labeling state laws across America.

And that's just for starters. After that, this new "compromise" decrees that no foods shall be GMO labeled for two years while the USDA ponders the best way to deceive consumers and hide Monsanto's GMOs for another few years. The suggested law also gives the USDA the right to decree that any foods with less than 50% bioengineered content could be considered non-GMO, by the way.

As a bonus surrender to Monsanto, the law would also not require animal products derived from GMO-fed animals to be considered bioengineered at all. So cattle feedlots can pump cows full of GMOs and glyphosate for years, then sell the resulting beef as "all natural."

http://www.naturalnews.com/054489_GMO_labeling_US_Senate_Monsanto_puppets.html

• Like 3

Monsanto has all the money, resources, lawyers to make pretty much what they like in America, now, it's a sad day for people!, more sickness on the way, more unknown sickness on the way, when will this end?

Thanks to share this information!

• Like 3

The people have the power to crush all this. They just have to care. That's the saddest part in all this

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 4

And for those of us who care, it's becoming harder and harder to eat safely.

Even Whole Foods is blowing it.

http://www.naturalnews.com/054514_Whole_Foods_GMO_labeling_Monsanto_deception.html

When Whole Foods sells its soul, what's left?   Backyard gardens and farmer's markets?  

This should be major headlines in the mass media!   Anderson Cooper should be going "beyond the headlines" straight away to investigate this!   But surely something Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump said is more important.   

• Like 3

On 7/1/2016 at 6:45 AM, Yamato said:

And for those of us who care, it's becoming harder and harder to eat safely.

Even Whole Foods is blowing it.

http://www.naturalnews.com/054514_Whole_Foods_GMO_labeling_Monsanto_deception.html

When Whole Foods sells its soul, what's left?   Backyard gardens and farmer's markets?  

This should be major headlines in the mass media!   Anderson Cooper should be going "beyond the headlines" straight away to investigate this!   But surely something Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump said is more important.   

Hogwash... Carcinogens/mutagens (natural) like 5-/8-Methoxypsoralen, p-Hydrazinobenzoate, allyl isothiocyanate, D-Limonene, and helluva lot more, are found in vegs/fruits you are eating on the daily basis. Some varieties of fruits/vegs, organic farmers are growing, may contain waaaay more (concentration and nomenclature wise) carcinogens/mutagens than GMO varieties. Should I demand, say, from organic farmers to put labels with concentrations of all bad stuff that is in their produce? Should I demand long term testing (whatever that means in anti-GMO camp) for new varieties bred "traditionally"? Have you heard of infamous killer zucchini (organically grown)? That was acute poisoning. Now, can you assure me (and other UMers) that, say, organic farmers, aren't poisoning us with "less visible" stuff  - mutagens/carcinogens. Can you?!

3 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Hogwash... Carcinogens/mutagens (natural) like 5-/8-Methoxypsoralen, p-Hydrazinobenzoate, allyl isothiocyanate, D-Limonene, and helluva lot more, are found in vegs/fruits you are eating on the daily basis. Some varieties of fruits/vegs, organic farmers are growing, may contain waaaay more (concentration and nomenclature wise) carcinogens/mutagens than GMO varieties. Should I demand, say, from organic farmers to put labels with concentrations of all bad stuff that is in their produce? Should I demand long term testing (whatever that means in anti-GMO camp) for new varieties bred "traditionally"? Have you heard of infamous killer zucchini (organically grown)? That was acute poisoning. Now, can you assure me (and other UMers) that, say, organic farmers, aren't poisoning us with "less visible" stuff  - mutagens/carcinogens. Can you?!

How long have you been working for Monsanto?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

How long have you been working for Monsanto?

Ummm... Since first time I soiled diapers, I think...:rolleyes:

If we can believe cigarette companies and oil companies regularly publish pseudo-studies, we have to assume a company as powerful as Monsanto also does. The big, important difference being that Monsanto is toying with the very food you put in your body while keeping it's eye on the real prize; global monopoly on food.

• Like 1

On 06/30/2016 at 4:16 PM, Yamato said:

As a bonus surrender to Monsanto, the law would also not require animal products derived from GMO-fed animals to be considered bioengineered at all. So cattle feedlots can pump cows full of GMOs and glyphosate for years, then sell the resulting beef as "all natural."

Surely people didn't think Monsanto would just stop at the label requirement? Seems that's about to become useless anyways

11 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

If we can believe cigarette companies and oil companies regularly publish pseudo-studies, we have to assume a company as powerful as Monsanto also does. The big, important difference being that Monsanto is toying with the very food you put in your body while keeping it's eye on the real prize; global monopoly on food.

Right... As if organic farming isn't multi billion $ business toying with our health (again, look up for killer zucchini)... With companies, lobbyists, researchers, etc.

Figured I'd throw some more information into this topic....

To open, here is a nice site that provides current state legal action on the GMO labeling issue: 2016 State Labeling Legislation Map: http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/1881/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=14210

It also includes a list of all ongoing state legislation with links to each piece of legislation. A thing to note is that three states have already passed bills into law- Maine, Vermont, and Connecticut. And 15 states have bills introduced.

A bit of historic background. This is a NPR article that discusses Vermonts bill being enacted into law just a few days ago on July first. And it give a nice bit of Federal level information, HR 1599. http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/06/23/483290269/senate-unveils-a-national-gmo-labeling-bill

HR 1599 is a House bill that passed in July of 2015. It has not been introduced to the Senate floor yet.  https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/1599/actions

Here is an article from Dig Deeper about HR 1599. And an interesting piece of information at the bottom of the article indicates a stumbling block for HR 1599; there is already an opposing bill introduced onto the Senate floor, S 511. Genetically Engineered Right-to-know Act: https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/senate-bill/511

Currently, the AG biotech compromise proposal cited in the OP article is only a proposal. It hasn't been introduced as a bill yet. This is an important thing to note due to timing. Because it's already becoming a states vs feds kind of race. Potentially, the two currently introduced opposing House and Senate bills could result in a stall. And that could delay introduction of the proposal. Meanwhile, the states are free to keep rolling along with getting their bills passed into law. If enough states pass laws before the Feds can get theirs enacted, things could get very interesting politically and legally indeed.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Right... As if organic farming isn't multi billion $ business toying with our health (again, look up for killer zucchini)... With companies, lobbyists, researchers, etc.

Which is why I advocate those who can grow/preserve much of their own. Those who don't have the space should buy direct from farmers or farm market vendors who offer transparency of their practices. Much of the "organic" fertiliy materials are derived from industrial ag waste streams. 

I believe a big step in the right direction would be for a larger portion Americans to alter their diets by eating more local in season and alter their meat consumption to include eating the majority of the animal instead of buying preferred cuts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

Which is why I advocate those who can grow/preserve much of their own. Those who don't have the space should buy direct from farmers or farm market vendors who offer transparency of their practices. Much of the "organic" fertiliy materials are derived from industrial ag waste streams. 

I believe a big step in the right direction would be for a larger portion Americans to alter their diets by eating more local in season and alter their meat consumption to include eating the majority of the animal instead of buying preferred cuts.

Thats neat, but, can you assure me that is more safe than, say, traditionally grown? Safer than genetically engineered varieties? Why do you think your own grown/preserved is safer than that from laboratory? Should we test that? Again, killer zucchini fiesta (brown pants attest that) gives a perfect example of what is wrong with anti-GMO community - shear ignorance.

Mind you, I don't like Monsanto's overzealous behavior, but, I don't like mindless blabber from opposing side (shear ignorance plus wacko websites) either.

3 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Thats neat, but, can you assure me that is more safe than, say, traditionally grown? Safer than genetically engineered varieties? Why do you think your own grown/preserved is safer than that from laboratory? Should we test that? Again, killer zucchini fiesta (brown pants attest that) gives a perfect example of what is wrong with anti-GMO community - shear ignorance.

Mind you, I don't like Monsanto's overzealous behavior, but, I don't like mindless blabber from opposing side (shear ignorance plus wacko websites) either.

Monsanto's method is certainly not traditional. In fact, it is diametrically opposed to traditional.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

Sorry, where did I say anything about organic farming? Any where there is large cash to be made there will be shady dealings. Can't remember the last time organic farmers bullied a country into accepting their suicide seeds.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, questionmark said:

Monsanto's method is certainly not traditional. In fact, it is diametrically opposed to traditional.

And here is a pot: mangle any farmer with countless complaints/requests, you will get exactly the same response as from Monsanto. I dare you, approach any farmer and ask him about safety of his produce: long term research, labeling bad stuff, and continue with all sorts of "safety/cancer". You'll be hanged in the nearest barn. Right away... Well, maybe not right away, but just after poked with forks and banged (thoroughly) with showels.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Sorry, where did I say anything about organic farming? Any where there is large cash to be made there will be shady dealings. Can't remember the last time organic farmers bullied a country into accepting their suicide seeds.

First of all, who forces farmers to buy Monsanto's seeds?!

Secondly, you haven't heard of organic farming industry, thats because of massive organic conspiracy... Can you challenge that? I dare you :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

I consider the food I grow/preserve safer because I know what seed stock was used, what the fertiliy regimen was (both materials and timing), what buffers existed against agricultural overspray, and the hygenic processing protocols utilized. 

I buy from neighbouring farms where I know the farmers and can see their practices.

Larger animals (rabbits, poultry, and fowl are done at home) I get processed are done at a local butcher whom I have known and dealt with for years.

Do I completely shun industrial ag? No, I'll buy fast food, or imported foods on occasion but they are a treat not the bulk of my diet. Some bulk staples I buy are from outside my region as well.

I also buy raw milk, but don't advocate people rush out and patronize raw milk. If your body is not accustomed to it and one switches quickly to it there will be gastrointestinal discomfort at the least and potential for worse.

4 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

I consider the food I grow/preserve safer because I know what seed stock was used, what the fertiliy regimen was (both materials and timing), what buffers existed against agricultural overspray, and the hygenic processing protocols utilized. 

I buy from neighbouring farms where I know the farmers and can see their practices.

Larger animals (rabbits, poultry, and fowl are done at home) I get processed are done at a local butcher whom I have known and dealt with for years.

Do I completely shun industrial ag? No, I'll buy fast food, or imported foods on occasion but they are a treat not the bulk of my diet. Some bulk staples I buy are from outside my region as well.

I also buy raw milk, but don't advocate people rush out and patronize raw milk. If your body is not accustomed to it and one switches quickly to it there will be gastrointestinal discomfort at the least and potential for worse.

You are missing essential point (I really don't care where you buy/grow stuff; though I appreciate details you brought in), that is: are your bought/grown produce is safer than GMOs. Can you assure yourself, and others in that?

In strict words, are your bought/grown produce is safer than GMOs: Yes or, No?

2 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

First of all, who forces farmers to buy Monsanto's seeds?!

Secondly, you haven't heard of organic farming industry, thats because of massive organic conspiracy... Can you challenge that? I dare you :rolleyes:

No one, and I dont buy Monsanto seeds. My issues with Monsanto has more to do with their previous record of suing farmers whose crops were cross pollinated by their patented plants. In my opinion, if their pollen crosses into a neighbor's crops that farmer should not be responsible for licensing fees. They should have developed a better controlled product that did not spread itself through natural processes. I do not have an issue with them going after farmers who cleaned seed in violation of their purchase agreement or who planted Monsanto product alongside other brands in an attempt to breed Monsanto patented traits into other brands intended for use as future seed.

I am also odd in that I don't generally push for more agriculture/foods regulations or oversight by the FDA. I don't mind GMO labeling requirements or standards for something to have an organic designation. But I really have no desire for the level of government oversight I. our food system that exists. Probably because of how little in my diet comes from Industrial sources, but possibly even if I did consume more from them.

5 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

You are missing essential point (I really don't care where you buy/grow stuff; though I appreciate details you brought in), that is: are your bought/grown produce is safer than GMOs. Can you assure yourself, and others in that?

In strict words, are your bought/grown produce is safer than GMOs: Yes or, No?

Yes, because they do not depend on a system of neutralizing introduced contaminants during bulk processing. The system is designed to avoid such contaminants in the first place. 

30 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

And here is a pot: mangle any farmer with countless complaints/requests, you will get exactly the same response as from Monsanto. I dare you, approach any farmer and ask him about safety of his produce: long term research, labeling bad stuff, and continue with all sorts of "safety/cancer". You'll be hanged in the nearest barn. Right away... Well, maybe not right away, but just after poked with forks and banged (thoroughly) with showels.

The point you are not telling us is: We don't know Sh!t about the long term effects of bio-engineering. To the contrary of that we know perfectly the long term effects of industrial and traditional farming. And I must conclude that the least negatives are to be found with the traditional methods.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

No one, and I dont buy Monsanto seeds. My issues with Monsanto has more to do with their previous record of suing farmers whose crops were cross pollinated by their patented plants. In my opinion, if their pollen crosses into a neighbor's crops that farmer should not be responsible for licensing fees. They should have developed a better controlled product that did not spread itself through natural processes.[...]

And how many cases Monsanto won (out of ###)? Huh? But here is situation: traditionally bred variety (certain genome, trademark, period) being "spread/polinated" all over your field. Holder of the variety can sue you. Your counter? 

(OK, I'll leave some issues for the future)

8 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

[...]

I am also odd in that I don't generally push for more agriculture/foods regulations or oversight by the FDA. I don't mind GMO labeling requirements or standards for something to have an organic designation. But I really have no desire for the level of government oversight I. our food system that exists. Probably because of how little in my diet comes from Industrial sources, but possibly even if I did consume more from them.

If you don't mind GMO labeling, you'd be for labeling all cancerogens/mutagens in organic produce, right?

20 minutes ago, questionmark said:

The point you are not telling us is: We don't know Sh!t about the long term effects of bio-engineering. To the contrary of that we know perfectly the long term effects of industrial and traditional farming. And I must conclude that the least negatives are to be found with the traditional methods.

Nice try, QM. Thing is, "traditionally" bred (new) varieties come through rigorous testings, GMOs go through even more rigorous testings. So, where is a problem?

5 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

If you don't mind GMO labeling, you'd be for labeling all cancerogens/mutagens in organic produce, right?

Nope, wouldn't mind other than the size of the label needed if you use California's list...