Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hole in the ozone layer is starting to heal

UM-Bot

6 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

A large hole in the Earth's protective ozone layer is finally starting to show signs of healing up.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/296256/hole-in-the-ozone-layer-is-starting-to-heal

It's good news that some things like this can start to reverse. It's been a long time, but I remember when it first was studied there were some atmosphere experiments done to help patch areas  to rebuild as well as reducing the polution aggragates.

This wasn't mentioned in the article, does anyone else remember this? I think I read about the experiments in Scientific American and they were helping the regeneration of ozone layers and were extended to some smaller ozone breaks in other locations as well as this major one. 

• Like 1

I wonder if we are patting ourselves on the back for something that may turn out to be a natural cyclic event. Either way it's good news...

• Like 7

This gives me hope that our climate issues can ultimately be solved.

Doug

• Like 3

Can't say if it's a good thing for the most part since ozone is a greenhouse gas. Atmosphere needs to be balanced.

Wow, that's fantastic to hear. Well that's something to be happy about! :) That made my day.

• Like 1

Huh. Wonder if our efforts to reduce certain types of gas emissions which deplete the ozone layer is having a "healing" effect. Don't know, but like said, good news.

EDIT: Maybe some type of natural coincidence, but good news anyway.

Edited by pallidin

I'm sure that not as many people use Aquanet now as did in the 80's.  That's probably what did it.  I think I'll go do a burnout to celebrate.

We don't want to much good news, though, or donations to environmental causes might dry up and that would give hippies another reason to whine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pallidin said:

Huh. Wonder if our efforts to reduce certain types of gas emissions which deplete the ozone layer is having a "healing" effect. Don't know, but like said, good news.

EDIT: Maybe some type of natural coincidence, but good news anyway.

Ozone is created naturally every day and decomposes naturally every day. The problem the ozone layer had is that we kept adding decomposition accelerators to the atmosphere day by day, most notable CFC (Chlorine-Flouride-Carbon) gases used not only as propellants in spray bottles but also as coolant in air conditioning and refrigerators or to foam up Styrofoam.

Ever since those products have been banned by most governments the ozone layer was recovering. And the horror of the situation was that the damage created in 30 years will need 100 to fully heal.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 5